Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't really describe it too well, but I started to hear a noise coming from somewhere in my dash. It starts when I get up around 3 - 4k rpms and it sort of sounds like a squeak, but more like something getting vibrated around and flapping against something else. There's not really any set rhythm to the sound. Sorry, that's about the best I can describe it as.

Should I take the dash apart to check and see if it's something simple like a wire resting against the speedo / tac or should I just take it back to the dealer and have them take a look? (Don't know if there are any warranty issues with messing with the gages because of the odometer.)

I bought it new last month and put 575 miles on it so far. It was a leftover 2006 model, so could it be a simple issue such as the cable lube drying up?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
It's a common issue.

Most of the time, it's plastics vibrating against each other. Try to put your hand against the plastics to see if there's anything you can do to make it stop vibrate.

It can come from the fairing itself too. Once you identify what part is vibrating, you can try to wedge some rubber between the 2 parts, getting rid of the issue.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had a similar squeak and it ended up being one of the turn signal stays in the fairing.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
^ Oh yeah, that will get rid of every squaks and clunks..

That's what I use, and it works wonders.. 3$ investment will make your ride go soo much smoother and on top of that, it will protect your ears ;)

·
Registered
375 Posts
On the former EX 500 forum there was a thread about the key cover for the gas tank rattling at certain RPMs. I had been hearing a mysterious rattle from my bike and found that this was the culprit. Following a suggestion from that thread, I put a small( ~ 1" long ) piece of electrical tape on the edge of the key cover...the surrounding color on my bike is black, so you don't even notice it's there unless you look close. Guess what? The rattle disappeared! You obviously have to remove it to gas up, but I have been using the same piece of tape for about a year and it is still holding tight...I just carefully peel it off and park it on the handle bar while I'm gassing up, then put back on when I'm finished. There were other threads on that forum about rattling and some helpful suggestions about using weatherstripping, etc. around faring junctions if they were not tight. Good luck. ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. As luck would have it of course, didn't make the noise today. I rode to work and poked around for a while on my lunch break to see if I could find anything that could be rubbing/rattling, even tightened up some of the screws and bolts. I did notice that the dealer forgot one nut on my right mirror mount. ??? After work I took a nice 82 mile ride and it still didn't return. I'm just glad it didn't stay constant or get worse & end up being something like a bad set of gauges. :crosses fingers:

F

·
0 Posts
Hey man, I had that noise too and it drove me insane! It was all I could hear when I was trying to enjoy a ride...so I put weather stripping everywhere that i thought could possibly be vibrating, but the noise was still there. Then, one day it stopped...

·
Registered
43 Posts
....and one day it will start again!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I finally resolved a similar issue on my new '06. The culprit was the cluster of locking electrical connectors located just below the front of the gas tank. At least one of them was vibrating against the tank and another one of them may have been vibrating against the coolant jug. I found it by sticking my hand up under the front of the tank and feeling around while the bike was on it's stand idling and making the noise. When I grabbed that cluster of connectors the noise stopped and when I let go it came back. So once I got home I put the bike up on it's center stand and looked at the connectors from below the tank. I simply rearranged the connectors in a fashion that kept them from touching anything. Ever since problem solved!!!!!! ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts