Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I had day 1 of my MSF course. It's weeknights from 6pm-10pm. They had the choice of 2 styles of bikes, a 250 cruiser bike, and the 125 enduro bikes. I took the enduro for today cause it is very similar in riding position compared to the cruisers.

Those little 125s run out of 1st gear after about 2 feet. I wish I could have my 500 there so at least I am learning on the bike I will be riding. Up here it is NOT mandatory to take the course, but usually you save the cost of the course a few times over in the first year when it comes to insurance.

We will see what the rest of the week brings us. I will be trying out the cruise at some point in time, so if I do I wll give my opinions.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Re: Day 1 over, 4 more to go

i personally believe that the bike i had during the msf course(nighthawk) prepared me extremely well for the ex i have now. let me explain, the bike i had had a semi defective clutch which had NO friction zone, the throttle would red line without me even touching it, or sometimes it wouldnt respond even with engaging it. the brakes seemed to be fine though, but if i can do all of the courses(zigzag, sharpe turn, etc.) with that bike, anything else i rode was a piece of cake. dont know if the bikes you guys have are well maintained but ours definitely needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
27 Posts

I am intereseted in how the class and course goes because I am signing up for the same here in Oklahoma. I was told in some states it is free but here it is 200. Look forward to you future posts. =)

·
Registered
259 Posts

In PA it's free for PA licensed drivers. I used a Suzuki 200cc dual. Only points I got (and I got 15!) was the emergency stop - that old "don't lock the front brake" voice from riding bicycle coming back to haunt me.

Much prefer the Ninja, and looking forward to the experienced course this weekend.

·
Registered
28 Posts

u would think it would be a nice idea to use u'r own bike, but u do some pretty hard things in class like the slaloms around cones and figure eights, u its easier on there small bikes, u wouldn't want to drop u'r own bike now would u? in my class i saw three bikes dropped! have fun at yur classes, they were very helpful. :D

·
Registered
259 Posts

dmccoy said:
Did you feel the beginner course was benificial?
Definitely, though my answer as a complete noob may be different than someone with experience. But in my experience it's ALWAYS a good idea to re-check your basics in any field of endeavor. I've played guitar for 25 yrs but I still find things I do wrong when talking to other experienced people. My "quirks" can be worked around, but it's much more efficient to fix the problem. I'd bet the same goes for cycling.

·
Registered
43 Posts

In Michigan, its 25 dollars to take the class. I wish they had more classes though, they seem to fill up so quickly. I've got to drive 2 hours north for my class in a couple weeks, and its a 3 day course. But hey, if it saves my life, it'd be worth it

·
Registered
229 Posts

I am taking my class on Friday, the college class which is $25 was full, so I have to drive 30 miles and pay $250. Since I am under 18, it is mandatory for me to take the class.

·
Registered
216 Posts

In CA it cost around $200 - but well worth it. In addition to the benefits of the training you can bypass the DMV riding test if you pass MSF.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I took the Basic Rider Course here in Ohio (Cincinnati area) about a month ago. It costs $25 and I did not have to take the skills test at the BMV. The classes here fill up fast, but I went in as a walk-in. The walk-in policy allows people to show up and have names drawn to fill any open spots.

I thought the class was well worth the time. I had one evening of classroom (4 hours) and two days of riding (6 hours each).

·
Registered
347 Posts

When I took my course I got to ride a Suzuki GZ250. What an awesome bike to learn on! If I had the cash lying around I would get one just for fun.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts

i was on a Honda nighthawk 250. shifter sucked ballz. it just would NOT go into neutral unless i shut the engine off.

·
Registered
11 Posts

We had the choice of 4 different bikes. Honda Rebel, Suzuki GZ250, Honda Nighthawk 250, or Yamaha TW200. I rode the TW200, which was really fun to ride. The only problem was that the seat was very narrow and fairly high, so I got sore from spending so much time on the seat. Even when I was standing I was on the seat.

I did go back later and try some of the skills on my ex500. I was not able to do the figure 8 on my 500. I will continue to go back occasionally and try it again.

Did anyone else try riding the skills with their own bike?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

We have a Rebel, a Suzuki GZ250, the Yamaha enduro 125's and I think one other kind of cruiser. I'll have to double check what we have tonight when I go to my course.

·
Registered
63 Posts

We had a bunch of Gz250s A few REbel 250's and ONE TW200 in my class.

When heading out I originally sat on one of the rebels but one of the shorter girls was last to pick out a bike and wasn't really comfortable up high on the TW so I ended up on it. It made for a real easy test as those little things are nimble as all get out.

·
Registered
229 Posts

I had a choice between a class 10 miles away for $330, it was at a harley dealer. They had the nice buells. I am taking mine for $250, its 30 miles away.

Considering the above bikes are there, which one would be good to ride thats like the 500.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

Umyoguy said:
Uh...My class (classroom and riding) was $300 - Did I get screwed? ???

Jon
My 1 day, 8 hr course cost $100, & I think it was overpriced: 12 riders = $1200.
divided between 2 Instructors & the overseeing agency.
Nice payday considering the overhead is borrowed pavement, some zeroxing, a little secretarial & web oversight & a few cones.

Added: we also rode our OWN bikes, not theirs.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts