Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started mike bike up as usual in the morning in about 70 degree temp with choke on. It started right up and within 20 - 30 seconds it just cut right out. I put key back to on position but had no power as the only light on was the red oil light. nothing else. My question is do I have just a dead battery or did I blow a fuse. I have not examined this closely yet. Any quick thoughts. thanx

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
Check the main 30 amp fuse at the starter solenoid under the left rear side panel.

FOG

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you've got some lights but no cranking then the battery is low/shot or there is a weak connection somewhere. Don't forget to check your grounds in addition to cables to/from the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you have only the oil light then check to see if kickstand is down and is neutral neither should matter if clutch is in though

Sounds like the fuse on the starter sel. if bat were dead than oil light would go out when button is pressed from draw current.

Let us know when figured out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK guys day 2 - I took battery out yesterday Friday and have it on a slow 2 amp charge which I will do for 18 hours as suggested for this battery type, still have a few hours to go. Now on the main fuse location, I having a hard time finding it to check. I know Fog said under left rear side panel. Now in that area I'm seeing a red circuit assembly of some kind, is the fuse located there?

·
Registered
244 Posts
2 amps is not slow, and 18 hours is way too long for that. My 700mA tender comes close to chargeing the battery in that time - running 2A at 18 hours risks damaging the battery (or worse).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 18 hour charge was put on automatic standard not manual, will this still possibly damage it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok found and checked 30 amp fuse and it's Ok, so I will try battery in a couple of hours and see, also hope my charging system is intact.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Depends on the charger, but if automatic automatically shuts off when fully charged, you're probably ok. Just stuffing 2A at the battery with no charging logic for 18 hours would be bad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts