Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a wonderful and invaluable tool for helping me take my $400 salvage save to my daily rider. But i have spent more hours trying to find answers do to the crazy number of "go to this thread" links that are from the old site that i about gave up a few times. I assume there is an easy way to get to these old threads, but i have no idea how to do that. If there is can someone make an official pin and put it somewhere obvious for newcomers like me? Lots of knowledge is hidden behind 100s of dead links, and it can take a good while to accidentally run across the original post everyone is talking about. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
19,351 Posts
Been here since day 1 and I never heard of the Way back machine, but then I never needed it. It is here or a google thing''FOG

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
top of your screen should be a window "SEARCH COMMUNITY". Just for yuks, i typed in the word "rules". Page 1 had 1-20 of 475 hits. Scrolled down and found a post "basic forum rules". This process took all 15 seconds.

Also under the Search community window is ADVANCED SEARCH. You put in a phrase such as "main fuse" and can search specific sections of the forum, in this case ELECTRICAL. Another 475 LIVE links came up, back to 2012.

I'm failing to see a general forum problem here.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Been here since day 1 and I never heard of the Way back machine, but then I never needed it. It is here or a google thing''FOG
it is a internet archive faculty. it takes snapshots of all sites. and stores them. not all the sites all the time just snapshots. when EX500.com lost the wiki it no longer could be seen, but because of the wayback it can by looking for days the snapshot was made all forum post and wiki links are there to be seen.

·
Super Moderator
6,123 Posts
If there is can someone make an official pin and put it somewhere obvious for newcomers like me?
I got to say, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that statement.
That a side I agree with using the search functions, they can be a valuable tool. Other than that you are always more than welcome to just start a specific thread describing what information you're looking for. Odds are you will get the answer in short order.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not that the search function doesn't work, it just doesn't work when you find something and the conversation moves to an old post. I just kept running into posts that said "read this post". Now that i know to use the way-back machine I will use that when I run into those oddball problems.

·
Super Moderator
6,123 Posts
I understand the frustration with dead links. I've ran across quite a few my self. I've never ran across a dead one that was a link with in the site. Not to say that they're not out there. Sounds like you're going deeper in to the history of the site than I usually do. Some probably go dead with format upgrades. Sometimes format upgrades are necessary for the site to move forward, so a small price to pay.
Anyone posting a link should just assume it will eventually go dead. So if they want their information to be archived better, just don't use links to make their points.
I'm failing to see a general forum problem here.
Me either.
The forum can't be expected to control all things internet.

Looks like the way back machine pulls through once again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is a wonderful and invaluable tool for helping me take my $400 salvage save to my daily rider. But i have spent more hours trying to find answers do to the crazy number of "go to this thread" links that are from the old site that i about gave up a few times. I assume there is an easy way to get to these old threads, but i have no idea how to do that. If there is can someone make an official pin and put it somewhere obvious for newcomers like me? Lots of knowledge is hidden behind 100s of dead links, and it can take a good while to accidentally run across the original post everyone is talking about. Thank you for your time.
Thanks for asking this! I have hit a lot of dead ends when looking up info for MY $400 "garage find" that is almost ready to roll. I will try that next time I run into a dead link.

·
Super Moderator
6,123 Posts
I wouldn't mind seeing some specific examples of some of these dead links, or dead ends.

·
Super Moderator
6,123 Posts
Let me rephrase:
I would like to try to come up with an easy solution to the dead link issue. In order to do so I need some specific examples. Since I have never seen one, I'm not about to try to hunt them down not knowing where to look.

And I'm only talking about dead links to old threads within EX500.com. Only option to dead links outside the site would be the way back machine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am browsing through the forums and i came across this example. I do want to say I was not trying to start anything so much as help anyone else that runs into these problems.

Suspension Upgrade Guidance
Post #8

·
Super Moderator
6,123 Posts
I do want to say I was not trying to start anything so much as help anyone else that runs into these problems.
I understand, I'm trying to do the same. Thanks for the link.
That particular link goes to an article in the wiki. As you probably already know the wiki was a separate site linked to the main site in a way I don't really understand. Then ended up getting lost after a site upgrade. (We won't be making that mistake again). I suspect this may be the case for all the dead links that appear to be within the main site. But feel free to post any other examples.
Thanks

Reactions: K-woppa

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
I understand, I'm trying to do the same. Thanks for the link.
That particular link goes to an article in the wiki. As you probably already know the wiki was a separate site linked to the main site in a way I don't really understand. Then ended up getting lost after a site upgrade. (We won't be making that mistake again). I suspect this may be the case for all the dead links that appear to be within the main site. But feel free to post any other examples.
Thanks
Yep, good job @bpe. I believe this is the link in question.

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
BTW, the loss of the wiki is not the fault of the owners of the website or their tech personnel, nor the fault of the v-bulletin uprgrade. There was a problem within the old platform setup and the previous administration was warned this most likely would happen and were advised to save the wiki to Google Drive before the changeover. It never got done so we lost integration with the wiki site. I only bring this up because many folks here thought verticalscope screwed it up.
The instructions on how to access the wiki through the wayback machine were posted as an annoucement at the top of nearly every forum section, but with the changeover to xenforo, those announcements became stickied threads; much less visible than an announcement, but they're still there.
@ducatiman and @bpe, I hope I'm not stepping on your toes here. I'm just trying to add something from my perspective.

·
Super Moderator
6,123 Posts
^ I see no toe stepping. (y)

Reactions: ducatiman
1 - 20 of 32 Posts