21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,125 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,125 Posts
Summary update
After further investigation it would appear that there are dead links associated with the site deep within the archives that are not connected to the wiki. My initial thoughts were that maybe they could be copied and pasted into the search function to get to the threads.
Sorry guys,
no dice.

Rest assured. While we may not be able to correct all issues of the forum of the past. Your moderation team, aka The Mod Squad, is always striving to make the forum of the future a better place for everyone.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but I found a dead link in touring mods Post #11.

There's also this:

http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,355.0.html

It's a little dated, and some of the links are dead, but it generally shows and summarizes what you're looking for.
Wayback shows it as Making the EX-500 a Sport Tourer/Commuter which correlates exactly with Making the EX-500 a Sport Tourer/Commuter

If this is helpful, I can keep doing this for dead threads I find. If not, I'll leave it alone.

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
Summary update
After further investigation it would appear that there are dead links associated with the site deep within the archives that are not connected to the wiki. My initial thoughts were that maybe they could be copied and pasted into the search function to get to the threads.
Sorry guys,
no dice.

Rest assured. While we may not be able to correct all issues of the forum of the past. Your moderation team, aka The Mod Squad, is always striving to make the forum of the future a better place for everyone.
The main purpose of the Wayback Machine is to allow websites to restore broken wiki links, to copy the snapshot and paste it back into your wiki. You could copy and paste the url of each entry and put them into an index, but I think trying to link to them directly is a lot of work with a lot of risk. It would be violating the intent of the WBM and not something I would count on for success going forward.

There are a few sections of the wiki that have never been readable on the WBM. Fortunately, I don't think any of the technical ones got lost, just the ones that contain a lot of links within them. I think tire choices is one. I explored the whole thing pretty deeply a couple years ago.

To me, the whole mess just reinforces the validity of bringing that knowledge on site. Yes, the layout of the wiki is far better for presenting the information, but as we've seen with this and the Photoshop disaster, you never know what will happen long term with outside hosts.

Of course, you never know what will happen internally either. The first software platform change resulted in the loss of the wiki and the second software change resulted in the loss of the ability to create and manipulate the new onsite knowledge sections. This should be fixable though, with help from this website's technical staff.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I figured with the ones we could find, we could replace the old links with the new ones. I'd be willing to help if that were possible. But I agree about trying to keep things in house from now on.

·
Super Moderator
6,125 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but I found a dead link in touring mods Post #11.

Wayback shows it as Making the EX-500 a Sport Tourer/Commuter which correlates exactly with Making the EX-500 a Sport Tourer/Commuter

If this is helpful, I can keep doing this for dead threads I find. If not, I'll leave it alone.
Nice work finding what that dead link went to. I went ahead and replaced the dead link with the good one. That would be great if you were to find more that can be fixed. I'll send you a PM (conversation) so we can do it "behind the scenes".

·
Super Moderator
6,125 Posts
Thumbs up to @Elsevere (y).
He's already found a few more.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I'm running backwards through modifications forums first. Figured that would be the most useful for people. Also, interestingly just read about the "furring" idea. People are creative. Also been interesting to see how the site layout has changed through the years.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts