Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 1999 Ninja 500R with 1.5k miles not too far from me. The seller is asking for $2200. I believe the KBB value is $2800. Is this a very good deal?

The only defects on the bike is a small scratch on the passenger handle bar and a small rash on the right side of bike, under the seat. The seller is selling the bike for his friend, and he says the bike was stored before he went to university. He was then assigned a project in China, so he decided to sell the bike. What do you guys think?

R

·
0 Posts
You haven't written the check yet????? If its got a clear, legal title, its probably a good deal. On a bike that old, figure in the cost of major maintenance and new tires. But it sure looks good for its age, and at 1500 miles the motor is hardly broken in...

Rich

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
i disagree.  that motor is broken just fine at 1500 miles.  The tires look fine (but pictures can be deceiving i suppose).  Check the carbs to see if they've been messed with.  if they have, ask what was done.  could be a pilot tune, could be a Main Jet kit.  ask about the scuffage.  look for paint on the bar ends and engine covers that would hide further scuffage.  otherwise it looks fine.

I'd buy it.

R

·
0 Posts
Knightslugger said:
The tires look fine (but pictures can be deceiving i suppose).
I'd buy it.
While the tires "might" be OK, they have 8 years of dry rot/UV damage. Why risk it? Rubber doesn't age well.... But I'd buy it.

Rich

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
eh, maybe...  looks like it's been around the block once or twice, that's used rubber i see in the center...  i know, it's the sides that count...  but you right.  new buns would be an improvement over those stock excedras anyway...

if you buy it, make sure you get that stamped aluminum key ID tag that came with the bike. most people don't know what it is, but it's a key cut ID. each number (six i think) is either 1, 2, or 3. means deep, center, and shallow cut. you use that to get a new key made.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I only got one key w/ my salvage title bike.
It's a replacememt, not the original.

As an FYI, it's by by Silca (Italy), blank # KW16CP

My local motorcycle shop doesn't cut keys (is this normal?) so carries no blanks.
I should ask Lowes & such if they would cut the blanks for me if I order them.

Anyone else have any experience to share on getting some extra keys made?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the quick replies. I would have bought the bike already, but this would be my first bike, and I have no riding experience. I want someone to come and inspect the bike with me when I buy it, since I don't know much about the mechanical aspects. However, none of my friends ride, so I'm just asking around and waiting :(

·
Registered
270 Posts
do not go to lowes or anyother place other than a lock smith to have your keys made.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Smoky said:
do not go to lowes or anyother place other than a lock smith to have your keys made.

There's reasons for that, no doubt. Will you share them? Pretty please?

·
Registered
722 Posts
I got mine for 2100, its the same year and color as that one, except mine had 12k on it + a V&H and a Zero Gravity windscreen already on it. Idk how well it is to not have been run as much though. Have they ridden it around to show you how the engine sounds, etc.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Its just a matter of the quality of the cut some hardware store guy who does keys maybe 3 times a month compaired to a master lock smith may just be a hair off and it will cause you headaches. Regular old house keys that fine but car/ motorcycle ignition keys you'll want the best you can get.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Smoky said:
Its just a matter of the quality of the cut some hardware store guy who does keys maybe 3 times a month compaired to a master lock smith may just be a hair off and it will cause you headaches. Regular old house keys that fine but car/ motorcycle ignition keys you'll want the best you can get.
Bah! I totallly disagree... I was cutting keys at the ripe age of 6 years old. It's not exactly the most complictated thing in the world. Not to mention that the key cutting machines have come a LONG way since then, and the process is almost 100% automated.

The kid at Lowe's puts your key in, puts the blank in, and pushes the button that says "cut". 30 seconds later he hands you a key; and I've never heard of a shop that won't gaurantee their keys with free replacements and/or money back if they don't work. Which does sometimes happen. But if it works, it works.. it won't go bad on you later.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Two differing perspectives... good info for decisions. Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you want the key to work for the fuel tank or your seat make sure to go to a locksmith. I'm glad I checked mine after it was made even though I went to a locksmith. They had to grind down a piece on each side of the key for it to work for anything other than starting the bike. Compare a key that has been cut and not ground down to the original key. You should notice a taper affect towards the end of the key. This is on an 03.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts