Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody had their 5's down there.. or any other bike for that matter..

My rents are thinking about trying to take their cruisers down there and asked if I would like to tag along.. sometime this summer not sure when..

have watched a few videos and read some articles on it... I think it would be a neat gettaway for a couple days... especially riding from southern pa..

i will let everyone know as it gets closer.. maybe some of the local or other people close by would like to meet up.. for a day or something

Later
Josh

Z

·
0 Posts
Jkrup47 said:
Anybody had their 5's down there.. or any other bike for that matter..

My rents are thinking about trying to take their cruisers down there and asked if I would like to tag along.. sometime this summer not sure when..

have watched a few videos and read some articles on it... I think it would be a neat gettaway for a couple days... especially riding from southern pa..

i will let everyone know as it gets closer.. maybe some of the local or other people close by would like to meet up.. for a day or something

Later
Josh
Yep. Went there last summer on my ZX11. We did 1480 miles in 3.5 days. 318 curves in 11 miles - how can you beat that! Two words to describe the trip - Awe Some.

We are going again in May. Trip, cabins etc... already planned and booked.

We are going for 6 days this time. So much riding and so little time.....

The EX500 is perfect for the Dragon; light, plenty fast enough, light, easy to turn, light, just perfect. Just a long way to drive for such a small bike though. Your arse will not be happy on the way down and back. Ex: we rode 14 hours the first day just to get to Asheville, NC. You will get blown all over the place on 81 from the semi's.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was pretty much what I was concerned about... but I am hoping that maybe the "corbin" will help.. the rents have 800cc Suzuki cruisers and I can all but fall asleep riding one of those things...haha

Z

·
0 Posts
I have a Corbin on my 11. And a throttle lock to flex the right wrist/hand a little; and some lowering brackets on my pegs for a little extra leg room (I'm 6' 4"); and a taller wind screen. Still, 14 hours sitting on anything is a long time.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup yup... I don't know about you but i am thinking if the weather holds out like they are saying I might try to get the ol' girl out for a run this coming weekend.. low 50's they say now.. with no rain... so we'll just have to wait and see

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I've heard from a local Trooper that they are cracking down at Deals Gap this year . So far in my opinion it's just 'hear say' . So , if ya get ta go keep us informed as to if this is true or not .

Z

·
0 Posts
Lucky#13 said:
I've heard from a local Trooper that they are cracking down at Deals Gap this year . So far in my opinion it's just 'hear say' . So , if ya get ta go keep us informed as to if this is true or not .
Last year, after a run up and back, we stopped at the "cross roads of time" where a NC Statey was sitting amongst the 100's of bikes. Bikes were blasting up and down, on one wheel and two on RT 129 right in front of him. He never even looked up from the drivers seat. While in the store I asked the clerk about it. He said the police don't do much to stop speeding and idiot's. He said they know there is no way they can catch bikes on the dragon and the terrain is so twisty and hilly, their radios don't transmit too far. Unless they set up a full road block, they have no way to stop cycles. They know it and the motorcyclists know it. Most of us ride with reason and don't wreck. Hey, we need to ride home! The police are there to help the emergency crews.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My thought is this.. if you aren't breaking the law.. then you shouldn't have anything to worry bout.. right..

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Jkrup47 said:
My thought is this.. if you aren't breaking the law.. then you shouldn't have anything to worry bout.. right..
That is so true .
My thoughts is this ..... if you aren't braking the law at Deals Gap , shouldn't you be .......

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HAHA!!!

Yea i guess so.. if you ride all the way there and just want to do the speed limit.. you should'a bout a cruiser...

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I'm not advocating breaking the law... BUT if your going to The Dragon... I mean , lets be honest that's what its all a bout . There is at least 1000 more scenic place you could go to just cruise about...right .

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
The wife and I went down there on our honeymoon. I ran the gap with her on the back of dad's '99 Vulcan 1500 Classic. I was dragging parts the whole time (mostly the crash bar on the front) and got passed by a few crotch rockets. It was fun, but I've been wanting to go down with the Ninja or at least something with a little more clearance. It's worth the trip, and definitely the perfect playground for the EX. You can get saddle sore for sure, though. After running the gap and making the loop around through North Carolina my wife was in tears because her rear hurt so bad. I doubt she'll ever ride it again with me, but if she does it won't be on that crappy Corbin passenger seat of the Vulcan :p

And from what I've heard about the cops, they don't come to you, they sit and wait for you to come to them. I didn't see any when I was there, but it just depends on when you go I guess. If you're there through the week it's much less crowded and there's less need for LEOs.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Here in Arkansas, In the north part called the Ozarks. All the roads are like the Dragon. I live near a road AR #341 Push Mountain road that's 23 miles long has about 200 turns three elevation changes of 1000 feet and no cops whatever. The worst part is if you make a mistake and find youself down and embankment they may never find you. Oh yeah no guard rails either except to protect s tree or something from crazy vehicles.

Where is deal"s gap anyway.

To tell the truth In southern MO there's a road (MO 160) that goes from about Paducah KY to Oklahoma that about 300 miles of tight turns great scenery. one of my favorite roads.

FOG

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Actually the Gap itself is more on the TN side, the resort is just across in NC.

My favorite site about the Gap is Killboy's site (he's a local photographer who sets up camp along the road and shoots pictures of passerby that you can buy online).

http://www.killboy.com/

·
Registered
42 Posts
The gap is worthwhile. Over the last five years, I've spent more than a month down there. Tatham Gap is mint if you have a dual-sport. They call it the "gravel dragon".

Lots of decent roads around there. Very fun on an EX. Also fun on a Rex, a motard, a dualie, a standard, a moped, a scooter, some comphy slippers, whatever.

Just give it a shot. Stay local. I'd recommend the people who run www.tailofthedragon.com. Ron and Nancy know everything about everything down there and can help anyone out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went to the Gap last May with my brother and a buddy of ours. I had a great time. We stayed at the Fontana Lodge and all the roads were great. I was on my CBR 1100xx and it was a little tough to hustle through the curves. If we go back this year I'm riding the EX, I think it would be perfect for the Gap. As for the police, I never saw any. I guess they figure the laws of physics will stop the really crazy riders. ;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
damn, I wish I was close enough to ever get out there. California has some pretty wild roads though, so I'm not too bored.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts