Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've narrowed down the next set of tires to Avon Roadriders and Pilot Activ's. So I go price them at the local shop and right a way I get "I'll get the Avons if you want but I don't like 'em..." He's telling me that the shop has had multiple problems balancing them, that one customer got new ones from Avon and they still had problems. Has anybody else "heard" of problems balancing Avon's? Perhaps I'm being led down "the path".

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
On the ZG1000 site (Concours.org) some have trouble doing it themselves . But they love avons and E3's . check out their site for tons of info on them . The ZG is a sport-tourer .

·
Registered
31 Posts
having mounted tons of tires myself, and forked out plenty of money before that to have plenty of tires mounted and balanced, unless your rim and tire are horrendously manufactured, you shouldnt have much trouble balancing them, and even then, on a 100mph bike, you wouldnt notice it unless it was way off. its one of those things that can be horrible, but most of the time it wont make a difference. everyone would like to fight me on it, but how many of you have ridden consistently for years on unbalanced tires without any negative impact? i race motorcycles, so i notice if something awobblin.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
mugwump said:
I've narrowed down the next set of tires to Avon Roadriders and Pilot Activ's. So I go price them at the local shop and right a way I get "I'll get the Avons if you want but I don't like 'em..." He's telling me that the shop has had multiple problems balancing them, that one customer got new ones from Avon and they still had problems. Has anybody else "heard" of problems balancing Avon's? Perhaps I'm being led down "the path".
Heck, a couple of car tire dealerships told me the same thing about Goodyear TripleTreds.
Got them at Sears for the wife's Focus zx5... no problems.

The GY 3treds are the top ranked all-season street tire from Consumer Reports & some car magazines.
But maybe they don't offer the mark-up or commission of other brands.
If so, it says a lot about the integrity of the tire salesmen.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About the Triple Tread. After coming off of Ultra Grips in the winter they are a disapointment in the snow. It's my own fault, all season tires are a compromise.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Post deleted by me because of lack of relevance. Pick the tire you would rather have. Are you ever going to change tires again? Try them both then. Find what you like more rather than the person next to you. From what I can tell people really like the Michelins though.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
mugwump said:
About the Triple Tread. After coming off of Ultra Grips in the winter they are a disapointment in the snow. It's my own fault, all season tires are a compromise.
Mug, What kind of vehicle are you driving?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts