Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 76 with attendant medical issues I have been considering alternatives to my motorcycles: Sidecar rigs, three wheelers, and Mazda EX-5 (miata) convertible. None of them lean, none of them can deliver that wonderful sensation of balance and motion I get from my Kawasaki 500 or the 650.

Foolish as it is, I've decided I'm going to ride my 500 as long as I can without endangering others. I've replaced jets,float valve and gaskets in both carbs and now need to re-install and adjust. So if you see a Plasma Blue 2009 EX 500 in North East Alabama, Northwest Georgia, or Southeast Tennessee and a Captain America helmet - give me plenty of room when you pass.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've replaced jets,float valve and gaskets in both carbs and now need to re-install and adjust.
Is that on your bike?
If not, I am wondering where the heck they are as mine may need some adjustments.
Do you know how I can adjust my motivation? I need some for work tomorrow...

Seriously, keep riding for as long as you can.
I met an old guy a few years ago. I had stopped for a cuppa at a favourite biker spot and he came over for a chat. I think he was in his eighties, he had bought a twist and go 400cc scooter and he was loving it. He wasn't sticking to local routes either. We chatted about all his old bikes that he'd owned and it was great to talk to him. He then revved up his scooter and rode away at good speed!
It ain't over until it's over.

·
Premium Member
3,683 Posts
I'm glad to hear you're not hanging up Captain America just yet.

Once riding motorcycles gets into your blood it's there forever. May we all enjoy our time on two wheels, for as long as we have the ability.

·
Premium Member
3,683 Posts
I posted this video some months back and figured maybe this was a good time to repost it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
At 76 with attendant medical issues I have been considering alternatives to my motorcycles: Sidecar rigs, three wheelers, and Mazda EX-5 (miata) convertible. None of them lean, none of them can deliver that wonderful sensation of balance and motion I get from my Kawasaki 500 or the 650.

Foolish as it is, I've decided I'm going to ride my 500 as long as I can without endangering others.
More power to you, not foolish at all. I can cast a personal vote for a Miata; one of them found me a while back and I enjoy it a lot. I like the fact that you can just jump in and go without having to put all the gear on so for that reason its good for running errands. (Plus you can carry the stuff you just bought.)

But you're right, its hard to beat a good running motorcycle. As for the 3 wheeled oddities? They don't really interest me. I'm keeping it simple and sticking to either 2 or 4 wheels. Keep on keeping on; you gotta have some joy in your life. Just sitting watching TV sucks....

·
Registered
777 Posts
Good for you! Keep us posted and tell us how it's going. That is my plan, 100%!!! When I'm physically no longer able to ride I will give it up...I think! Until then, I have no plans to ever quit riding.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
My dad is 79 and rode until he was in his mid 50's, at which point he sold his CB550 Four (I was 10 years old I think). Fast forward to when I was 23 and I got my first motorcycle on a whim (accident really, it fell in my lap). My dad of course much approved of the purchase having ridden most of his life. After several years of riding, I built an EX500 for my brother to force him to get his license, and he has enjoyed it since. After a couple years of both of us riding, my dad finally got jealous enough of our fun and was looking for more stuff to do in retirement that he went out and bought a brand new BMW motorcycle and has been enjoying it ever since. Almost 80 and putting in 10,000 miles a year. He knows his limits, rides wisely and always gears up. I'd say if you do the same, ride within your limits and dress for the slide not the ride, you'll be riding for several more years.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I applaud you sir. I can only hope that I'm still riding sport bikes at 76. Nature may dictate that I age, and get old. Nothing says I HAVE to grow up too.

If I reach that point in age where I can no longer ride my Ducatis and other sport bikes, I figure I can always recline (or is that decline?) into Harley Davidson.

When that day arrives, I plan on parking the Ducatis and my Aprilia in the living room as conversational art.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I applaud your tenacity, Jim, and hope you have many miles and smiles left on 2 wheels. If I were to not be able to ride on 2 wheels, I'd skip 3 wheels altogether, and I think I could be very happy with one of these (or a replica variant given the cost of the original).

·
Registered
390 Posts
The Lotus Seven variants now mostly come with bike engines so you don't have to give up motorcycles entirely. 0-60 in the 3-4 second range so they aren't exactly low performance....

·
Registered
19,309 Posts
here is my solution. down here the roads are great and my racer gene is in full operating condition at 82 the problem is we got leroy's in pickup trucks with #3 stuck on em that love to drop a wheel off the apex throwing gravel across the whole road.
So my four wheel solution is this Mercedes Benzes SL 55 AMG 500 hp just about cures the itch. and eats all the Harleys for lunch.
Just be careful what you wish for. she's a expensive mistress

FOG

FOG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts