Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have the engine from my 91 EX500A on my table and it is in need of some work. The bike has 28,000 miles on it has a stretched timing chain and a gen 1 CCT. When looking at the cams, the TDC marks on the exhaust cam are significantly lower than they should be. I have had some issues with it having low torque at low RPM and running hotter on one side of the engine. The carbs have been cleaned and jetted many times and their are no vacuum leaks. Should I replace the gen 1 CCT, the cam chain, and/or degree my cams? Just looking for some advice on where I should go based on the stretched timing chain and the operational issues I have been facing. Thanks EX crew.

·
Registered
19,309 Posts
I now have the engine from my 91 EX500A on my table and it is in need of some work. The bike has 28,000 miles on it has a stretched timing chain and a gen 1 CCT. When looking at the cams, the TDC marks on the exhaust cam are significantly lower than they should be. I have had some issues with it having low torque at low RPM and running hotter on one side of the engine. The carbs have been cleaned and jetted many times and their are no vacuum leaks. Should I replace the gen 1 CCT, the cam chain, and/or degree my cams? Just looking for some advice on where I should go based on the stretched timing chain and the operational issues I have been facing. Thanks EX crew.
''
Every engine I ever looked at had the cams retarded I simply elongated the sprocket holes and degreed the cams as per factory specs. all of them preformed better, with good valves and rings.

Follow my instructions in the how too section

FOG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts