1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 EX500R
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello good evening.
New guy here.
I've recently purchased my aunt's(plural) handed down bike from my grandma's friend. 2001 500r $600. Steal. Excited to tinker and take off.
The bike ran this year but died and hasn't run since. Has 12k.
I'm moving so I pick it up this weekend so no pics yet.
Already picked up oil, filter, plugs and battery.
I'm wrench handy and like to take stuff apart, aka, my other handed down 97 gxsr 750 that became the "lost project".
I really just wanna ride this so I'm not going to break it right away plus I see nothing but good things about these for learning and still having fun on. So lets enjoy that!
Probably scour through here for some info and ask a few questions.

Anyone got any tips for a first time 500r owner?

Thanks!

·
Registered
‘07 EX500
4 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! And from one new member to another, welcome.

RIP to the gixxer. Easier to take stuff apart than put back together, but I admire the drive to dismantle.

In my opinion the EX500 is really easy to enjoy. Not too complicated, ie. hard for something to go wrong unless a fundamental piece of the bike is broken or out of tolerance. Only problems I've had are really cold days below 50F where mine just doesn't want to even start. This forum has pretty much everything you'd need to diagnose and fix a problem from what I've seen, so you should take a dive if you ever wrench too far. Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Anyone got any tips for a first time 500r owner?
Adjust the valves. With only 12k (presumably kilometers since you're in Canada) its quite possible they haven't been touched since the bike rolled off the showroom floor 20 years ago. And since you have to drain the coolant to do the valves, its a perfect opportunity to refill the system with fresh stuff. Lots of info here on the forum on how to do both of those chores. (Helpful hint for doing the valves: the EX500 engine rotates backwards compared to most bike motors.)

Being relatively simple and straightforward, these things are actually fun to work on.

·
Registered
338 Posts
"Anyone got any tips for a first time 500r owner?"

Don't forget to stop for gas, seriously, the bike is so much fun that you can forget where
you are, what you're doing, and how far you can travel on a tank of gas; welcome & enjoy!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
hello and welcome. good news. the EX is built on 1980's technology as that's how long they have been around in one guise or another so no complicated stuff to worry about. easy to work on and fix (most of the time) yours is a Gen 2 model so none of the usual stuff to do on it. there are a few re-occurring issues but these are well documented on the forum.
regular servicing and maintenance is the real key.

bad news the bikes 20 years old so will need a once over and refresh like oil. filter. coolant change. brakes. and tires (check the date on the tyre) and apart from a valve check (should be high on your list) there pretty much bullet proof.
ride and enjoy.
Oh and the best tip I could give for new owner, if it's not broke don't fix it.

·
Super Moderator
6,552 Posts

Reactions: LegahC

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I second the notion of if it isn't broke don't fix it. This bike should give you plenty of fun times!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts