Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pre-94 motor in my post 94 frame. Trying to pull the spark plugs- for the life of me, can not find a socket to fit.
Anyone know what size socket works? won't fit all the way down to the plug itself

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
no kidding? 18mm right? do you have a magnetic pick up tool? if you do, try dropping the socket down there to see if it's just a length issue. if it is, you can use a short extension to just lightly insert into the connection and turn it out. you wont be able to remove it with the extension, but you've got a handy magnetic pick up tool for recovery of both the socket and spark plug.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
i had to go to sears/crftsman and get an 18mm deep well, thin wall socket to fit in there. 18mm is kind of a weird size IMO.

·
Registered
19,365 Posts
The problem is the diameter of the counterbore the plug fits into . I had to turn the Outside diameter of even the thinwall socket to get in there.

FOG

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FOG said:
The problem is the diameter of the counterbore the plug fits into . I had to turn the Outside diameter of even the thinwall socket to get in there.

FOG
that's what i'm going to have to do.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have '94+ so I don't know if it is different, but I just took mine out with a deep Husky 18mm socket. I used a few extensions and it fit over the plug without a problem. Then I used needle-nose pliers to get the plug out after it was unscrewed. Home Depot sells Husky tools I think. You might be able to buy just an 18mm socket.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
yeah i didnt have to turn the edge of the socket to get it in there. just used an extention and a u joint attatchment. voila.

it can be done without the u joint attachment though. just makes it a bit easier

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just an fyi- the spark plug removal tool from my Triumph tool kit fit perfectly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts