Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thing - I'm totally fine. Scraped my knee up pretty good and broke a nail and A LOT of hurt pride, but I'm ok. I got lucky.

My bike is ok too - probably about 50 bucks in repairs that I can take care of. Plastics in front are cracked pretty bad and handle bar (right) broke.

My gorgeous gorgeous pipe that got me so many compliments is scratched :( but not TOO bad.

Anyway this was a good wake up call.

Target Fixation :

It was a very stupid mistake to make. 40 mph up a curve up twin peaks, eyes focused on bushes I didn't want to hit (CLASSIC TExT BOOK MISTAKE THAT I preach to people about - the number one best technique) but I just slipped...one second... I blanked. And then there were LOTS of bushes and a curb that came out of no where and I low sided my baby.

I was so fucking pissed it wasn't even funny. I haven't gotten that angry in so long I was just in auto pilot.

I was also very lucky to be riding with two super cool guys that I met at the monthly SF night ride we were on, Eric from SF and Chris from Hayward. Thanks a million guys, I owe you big fucking time.

We were leading about 20 bikes through the city on the night ride and then we lost the rest of the group because we were riding too fast (how's that for irony???)

Well time to finish this beer and study for my stupid exam tomorrow.

For all that have been considered about my riding, this was a big wake up call and I've learned a lot.

Here's some photos of my poor baby joon :

Here's how see looked before 2 hours ago :(

then the pain :

bush crap in helmet (thats gas not blood btw)

my poor Ukami joon :

She runs fine - it takes a lot to take down both of us :) - You can bet theres gonna be a "BABY I'M BACK" post as soon as I get the new handle. But this time when I say I'm gonna be a good boy I mean it.

Funny thing is I have done 2305923590 squid things in the last 2 months and gotten away with it. This was a really needless, pretty safe turn and I'm glad that I got my wake up call here then say last weekend when I was doing triple digits down the coast.

Ride hard. Ride safe.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
With my minimal skills I just barely push things from time to time & still get the "fear factor" going.
Just driving in traffic, doing everything right, some inattentive or malevolent driver can cause havoc.

Reminds me of something I read some years/decades ago, something like,
"...as soon as you get real confident on a bike, you better get off it."

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Glad you're still in one peice :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
damnit man, that sucks. I dont even know why, but i think im mad, im not mad at you, **** happenes, but im mad at the fact that your bike got jacked.

its great to hear that its not too badly damaged, and mainly that you're okay. walk away from this having learned something. besides you can now say you've been down, something ive yet to expierience.

S

·
0 Posts
Sorry about the crash! My bike has the same rash on both sides of the upper (corners ground off). Great to hear that you are ok, and especially that you learned something from your incident.

By the way, were you riding in those A-star moto-cross gloves? What were you wearing/how did it all hold up?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Firstly thanks for all the support - means a lot guys.

I was wearing canvas pants, 14 hole steel toes, an ICON Merc jacket, and yes those A* motocross gloves :) - I just love the way the feel and I hate big sportbike gloves. I know its technically not a good idea, but I feel like I'm in way more control.

my hands were fine, I split the end of my thumbnail, I dont exactly know how the hell that happened.

my is scraped and kind of bruised, and a big chunk of metal came out of my boot exposign the steel toe. The boots were the big thing that saved me. I got pretty lucky.

I was ReALLY mad Andy. Mostly at myself, but more that I bruised up my baby. I really like my bike and get a good amount of compliments on it. I think a lot of guys use this as a stepping bike to a super sport and I actually really like mine and invest in it and try to make it sharp. Plus I keep up with the guys I need to keep up wtih --- WELL ANYWAY - point is I love my baby, and I'm mad I was mean to her... I kind of feel like I fell on my dog and broke her leg - hahahah.

anyway thanks again guys. got the handle bar ordered today. will show recovery photos :)

S

·
0 Posts
Just remember: If you aren't crashing, you aren't trying hard enough!

PS - you can send the angry messages to my email :p

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
smithmax said:

Angry? No way! Your comment above has some merit on a race track during practice (skill development). But if a rider pushes beyond his or his bike's capabilities and then crashes during a race... he cannot win, and isn't that the goal?

It's like coaching the high jump or long jump... the athlete must find a blend of maximum controllable speed with ever improving technique, and practice it enough to make it automatic during competition. This requires objective awareness & control of body, the arena (wet, dry, windy, etc) and a disciplined control of emotions.

The comment shouldn't be applied to the street where other people & their property is at risk.
Then, a rider's "need for speed" is just selfish behavior w/o regard to the health & welfare of others.

Well... there it is. What do you folks think?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you can push yourself and test your limits without being retarded and flying into a bush like someone I know

·
Registered
72 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
smithmax said:

Angry? No way! Your comment above has some merit on a race track during practice (skill development). But if a rider pushes beyond his or his bike's capabilities and then crashes during a race... he cannot win, and isn't that the goal?

It's like coaching the high jump or long jump... the athlete must find a blend of maximum controllable speed with ever improving technique, and practice it enough to make it automatic during competition. This requires objective awareness & control of body, the arena (wet, dry, windy, etc) and a disciplined control of emotions.

The comment shouldn't be applied to the street where other people & their property is at risk.
Then, a rider's "need for speed" is just selfish behavior w/o regard to the health & welfare of others.

Well... there it is. What do you folks think?
I'm glad you're OK!
I couldn't agree more!
Especially those "cool idiots" who are doing wheelies or stopies on a busy interstate wearing t-shirts and sandals ...
I've seen couple of crashes (one deadly). I don't want to become statistics, so I wear protective gear and ride defensively and evasively.
Cheers!

·
Registered
16 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
Reminds me of something I read some years/decades ago, something like,
"...as soon as you get real confident on a bike, you better get off it."
Good quote scitek.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts