Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a mirrored shield for one of my HJC CL-Max helmets (I have 2 - one each for day & night riding). I wanted a tinted one, but the shop could only get the mirrored one in. they'd been helpful, so I went for it.

After only riding a week or so with it, there are little scratches & dings in the mirror coating, presumably from road funk, since I try to baby my gear. They wouldn't be a big deal with a clear shield, but the light comes through more where the scratches are, and THAT is annoying. I assume the coating itself is softer than the polycarbonate shield.

So, does every manufacturer put the coating on the outside, and if so, what's the logic for it? And are non-mirrored tinted shields coated like that or does the tinting go through the plastic? If they only use a similar coating method, I'm going to find a homebrew tinting method...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well they can't put the coating on the inside, or you'd be looking at yourself instead of the road ;D

I know the tinted shield for my shoei has the tint all the way though the plastic (or rather it's just a darker shade of plastic than clear). Not sure if that would be possible for a mirrored screen or not...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
blent87 said:
I know the tinted shield for my shoei has the tint all the way though the plastic (or rather it's just a darker shade of plastic than clear). Not sure if that would be possible for a mirrored screen or not...
I didn't figure it would be for mirrored; wondering about the smoke ones. Basically, if scratches on a smoke one will only appear to me as scratches and not pinholes of light, I'll get one. If not, I'll "roll my own" with auto window tint.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
smoke lenses are dyed that color. there is no coating. Mirrored lenses have a coating on the outside to give it reflectivity. i've not once seen a lens that is applied to the inside as reverse.

·
Registered
263 Posts
for window/automotive tint, it doesnt matter if the tint is on the inside or outside. the reflective mirror comes on the side where light is more dominant. we installed mirrored tint in our house and it worked perfect.....until night came then when we turned the light on inside the house, you can see everything clearly outside but it was a reflective mirror on the inside, so much for privacy. not sure if all mirrored tints are like this but you can easily check by shining a bright light on both sides in a dark room. ohh ya and for the inside outside thing....no idea :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
captb said:
we installed mirrored tint in our house
I hope you're talking about the tint that is just mirrored darker, not the rainbow colored stuff that you see on some helmets. I can't imagine a house that has rainbow reflections where all the windows are....

·
Registered
263 Posts
??? just looks like a mirror when you look at it. funny when someone is fixing there hair or something and dont realize you can see them. and dont shields have both the rainbow and the plain mirror tint. i used to have mirrored tint and dont remember it changing color.

·
Registered
165 Posts
captb said:
and dont shields have both the rainbow and the plain mirror tint. i used to have mirrored tint and dont remember it changing color.
Yeah, they have either the plain mirror or the rainbow mirror. When you said you did your house in mirror tint, I wasn't sure if you were talking about the plain mirror or the rainbow mirror stuff...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was planning on getting a mirrored (silver) shield for my Icon helmet, because it would look kicka$$ with the rest of my silver gear, but I never considered that the coating would get scratched up that easily.

Have others here had similar experiences with mirrored shields? If so, it might not be worth me getting one no matter how sweet it would look.

sYnth

·
Registered
171 Posts
I work in a place that makes all the visors for scorpion helmets, we do vapour deposition (mirror), transitions (darken in sunlight) and Hard coated / anti fog visors. Mirrorization is done in a vacuum chamber with different metals deposited on the outside of the shield for different colors of mirror. Transitions are liquid coatings that are applied to the outside and baked to harden. Hard coat is silicone based liquid applied to the outside and baked, anti fog is urethane based applied to the inside and baked.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
johndoe said:
I work in a place that makes all the visors for scorpion helmets, we do vapour deposition (mirror), transitions (darken in sunlight) and Hard coated / anti fog visors. Mirrorization is done in a vacuum chamber with different metals deposited on the outside of the shield for different colors of mirror. Transitions are liquid coatings that are applied to the outside and baked to harden. Hard coat is silicone based liquid applied to the outside and baked, anti fog is urethane based applied to the inside and baked.
Thanks, man! Good info!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Forgot to mention that the new scorpion helmet with the inner and outer lens should be in the stores soon, we're shipping to california next week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts