Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in search of a aftermarket instrument cluster. I want to take off this old ugly one. Give it a cafe racer look. I see universal ones all over ebay and amazon but am not sure if they will work?

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don’t have one I can recommend, but I can recommend against cheap Ebay ones if you can afford it. Ebay specials often require extensive electrical modifications that most people do not have the knowledge to troubleshoot and correct. On top of that, you will get low quality results and likely have to replace it from cracking, water damage, etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As a previous modified ex500 owner, I would recommend something that fits the original harness. As someone already said, many times a speedometer swap implies severe electric modifications, and believe me, it doesn't worth it. My bike had an old monster cluster on it, and it was a nightmare to reconnect the stock one when I finally found it.

I can understand that 2nd gen's are binded to that orribile subframe, which makes very difficult to keep them when switching to streerfighter/café Racer, but maybe you may try...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
good point. however I will repeat what I posed a long while ago. sometimes when owners decide to street fighter or cafe racer their bikes they forget the original purpose of the equipment fitted to the bike.
and the biggest mistake/eye sore of them all is forgetting that most of the equipment is hidden under fairings. so are not waterproof or aesthetically pleasing (that the job of the plastics). all electrical equipment has to be moved under cover into the dry. and all the sticky out bits moved inside. this is very hard to do as several threads will testify.

the speedo cluster is no exception. it's neither waterproof or pleasing just stuck on top of the forks unless you can find a way to make it watertight and individually self contained and mounted. so the stock clocks are no goer.
although it is preferable to have a set that mimics the stock wiring after market ones are renowned for being a nightmare to wire up. this is the very reason both myself and @haybaler chose the ER500 clock set self contained and waterproof.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Thanks for the help 😑
ok. here is the long version.
1. remove the front fairing this exposes the underside of the cluster.
2. pull out of the cluster all the holders with red/blue and black/yellow wires attached should be 4 or 5.
3. pull out the 3w peanut bulbs. and replace them all with LED substitutes. (of a colour you like).
4. after making sure they all work. replace the front fairing. Done.

if you have small hands a torch and a mirror you can do it without removing the fairing. but it's a PITA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts