Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The proper use of all silicon gasket makers is to apply them and finger-tighten the fasteners within fifteen to twenty minutes, but not quite all of the way. Allow the gasket maker to set up for about one hour, and then torque to specification. This will help prevent the product from being squeezed out from between the two surfaces.

I replaced my oil pan a week or so ago and used RTV instead of a gasket. Long story short: It didn't seal. I've got oil seeping from the joint. I know the RTV will work (FOG said so! :) ) But I just have to do it right!

I could get a $20 gasket, but it'd take a week to get one in, and be the same price as the oil pan!

Thanks,
Rick

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
There are two types of RTV: Anabolic and Non-Anabolic. One needs oxygen to cure and the other doesn't (it's a chemical cure, like epoxy)

which one did you use?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used the plain old red hi-temp RTV ($3 wally world stuff). I talked to a mechanic at church tonight and he said both surfaces need to be extremely clean. Thats probably my problem. I cleaned the pan well, but oil kept dripping from the engine. I'll take another run at it. Any tips?

·
Registered
270 Posts
use the one that cures with out air present, only use a small film and you can torque it down right away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts