Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey giys so i got some new tires on my ninja size 110 70 17, and 130 70 17. The mechanic told me that “ the front tire is actually a rear tire and that the arrow direction is suppose to point towards the exhaust (backwards) since its a rear tire mounted on the front due to being hard to find tire sizes for the motorcycle “ is this actually true and safe ? Does this not increase my tire wear some kind of way? And is it really that hard to find this size for a shop? Thank you guys for any advice Im lost here.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Well. your mechanic is not wrong but not quite right either, the arrow denotes direction of rotation. but depending on which tires you have it may be different.
for example most tyres will be in pairs front, and back, the front typically has a different tread pattern to the back will say written on sidewall "front" with an arrow or "rear" with an arrow, these fit on the respective wheels with the arrow showing the direction.
now occasionally tires are universal F or R so can be used on either wheel. in this situation it could have two arrows in opposite directions marked F or R. because the tread pattern on the rear is reversed.
this is to do with water displacement and grip because the front is mainly for braking and the rear for traction (driven)
if in your case you have two tires that were designed universal (for the rear mainly) indeed you would change the rotation of the front to reverse the tread pattern. but not the otherway round (changing the rear direction)

tire availability may be dependent on where you are, but a tire supplier should have no issues getting the correct ones.
hell E-bay has limitless amounts for these bikes.
"note" unless you want B46's supply seems slow ATM.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yorkie is correct. I would also add that here in the UK, if we were involved in any type of minor accident or incident, the insurance companies would definately void your cover, thus rendering you liable, even if it was not your fault! The direction of rotation arrow, whether front or rear, is there for a reason. Also, on these machines the front is 110/70, Rear is 130/70.

·
Tanker Clown
8,856 Posts
I’d need to see a picture. Most modern tires are directional so the arrow points in the direction of rotation.

A picture of the tread design along with said directional arrow would help all of us to offer up opinion on your specific case.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok ill put a picture up today there is only one arrow in these and they are for the rear i was told . Its rainy season over here in san francisco and dont wanna slip and die , Im fairly new to riding so i do get nervous knowing the front tire is not the right one since water wont be dispelling correctly and i need rear brakes so id be sliding at fast speeds right ?

·
Registered
101 Posts
it's quite common. I do it all the time. Lots of "universal" tires available for medium and smaller bikes...especially older ones with rounder profile tires...

The rear "drives" the bike, the front "brakes" the bike. set em up so the tread direction does that.

The thing is, you won't always find the sizes and profiles of tires in pairs. That's particularly when you can't find a rear to swap to front...they don't come in 18 or 19 inch to suit a front rim often as not. Likewise a narrow front to a much smaller wider rear rim. But Avon road riders, some Duros and likely Dunlops-they do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For the love of God, please tell us what tires these are. I need to know if the mechanic installed the tire on incorrectly, installed the wheel back onto the bike, realized his mistake, didn't want to fix it, and just made up some crap about tire arrow. OR there is truly a bi-directional rear on the front.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I honestly felt like he made this **** up I’m a car mechanic not a bike mechanic so I don’t wanna walk into a situation like I know everything but it sounds like that’s all bullshit and I wanted to get confirmation from you guys before I move forward with anything

·
Registered
42 Posts
Both the fronts (110/70-17) and rears (130/70-17) are available on Revzilla 1-2 day shipping, so I don't think availability should be an issue. There are tires available. The fronts and rears have different construction. I've actually never heard of these before.

Tire Automotive tire Light Tread Synthetic rubber

Find the tire date code on your bike's tires. I'm thinking he either had a tire that wasn't moving for years and wanted to get rid of it, or my other hypothesis was correct and he just messed up the installation and didn't want to fix it. In this image below, the tire was manufactured in the 35th week of 2007.
Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Rim Font

"The front tire is actually a rear tire" also sounds like crap to me because they don't make a 110 rear. Smallest they have is a 120/80-17 per the company's website here: Road Winner RX-01

Hope you're feeling better soon man. Sorry, I was being antsy wanting to know what was installed on the bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dude i really i appreciate you being so thorough! I dont know what to do though, should they replace my tire with a correct one for free ? Ive had the tire on for 7 days and ive driven for about 80miles. Or can they legally do this ? Those are attorney questions lol. Not trying to sue i would just like whats fair and safe. Ill definitely get the code and some pictures posted too . Thank you guys

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
hi. if you could put a couple of pics up of the actual tires fitted to the bike with one of the treads and one of the sidewall (both tires) 4 pics I'm sure you will get the ultimate answer.

·
Tanker Clown
8,856 Posts
Ok ill put a picture up today there is only one arrow in these and they are for the rear i was told . Its rainy season over here in san francisco and dont wanna slip and die , Im fairly new to riding so i do get nervous knowing the front tire is not the right one since water wont be dispelling correctly and i need rear brakes so id be sliding at fast speeds right ?
First up, I’d say don’t use your rear brake when stopping. 90% of your available braking force is up front. If you get used to rear brake only like many HD riders you’ll wind up on the ground. A scant 10% is available from the rear.

Use them together, at least initially. Sooner or later the braking force from the front is going to lift the rear enough to make the rear ineffective. IOW, don’t get dependent on it.

2nd up, are you in The City proper or are you like most of us and in the greater Bay Area?

3rd, what shop did your tires? There aren’t that many shops around the Bay Area….most of them don’t have a good reputation. I won’t go into who does or does not in a public forum but PM me if you like.

BTW, I’m in Fairfield.

Reactions: getterdone

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
302 Posts
I would have them remount the tire at the least. I have mounted rear tires on the front and flipped them. (Going the opposite direction of the arrow) Your local laws and insurance would be a big determination there IMO if I would loose coverage due to a tire mounting methodically or physical dimensions I would not have it that way.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts