Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guy's does anyone know or remember what the stock length of the gen 2 dog bones are between hole centres. and are they the same length as the gen 1. I just cannot remember.
want to swap out the lowered one on the cruiser. I have 5 sets of different lengths (none stamped) no idea which ones are stock size, the only reference point I have is the ones on the gen 1 but not sure if they are different from the gen 2.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah I seem to have an issue. :coffee: the nearest bones I have to the measurement above is either 156mm or 160mm the 156mm will not go on without putting a 1in chock under the centre stand and then only just, so way too short, the 160's do just go on with both wheels on the floor. not the way I remember the bike should sit on the stand. the gen 1 in comparison has stock bones and the rear wheel is 1in off the ground while sitting on the centre stand. any suggestions. both bikes have the same shock a SV650 white spring modded to be the same length as the stock shock.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the SV shock not longer eye-to-eye than the EX?
yes it is as it comes in the box. I seem to remember it's about 1in longer, the stock mod is to re drill the Btm hole 1in higher up making it the same length as the stock EX shock. of course it has a stronger spring so has less initial sag.
but both bikes have the same shock and modification so should be the same I would have thought.
the only other difference is the cruiser has a 90 profile tire but the gen1 is 80 profile tire. both are 16in rims.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Nickel

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
How much clearance between the rocker and the lower shock spring retainer?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not a lot, but enough for it not to bind with any weight on the linkage perhaps 3mm may be 4mm.
that is a good point however. I like your thinking if the shock was fouling the linkage/rocker it would restrict the movement.
I will check this tomorrow, I'm sure this is not the issue but if you never check you never know.
currently making the 6th different set of bones perhaps 162mm or so.
the problem is two fold I need the seat height as low as possible, (due to short legs) but if it's too low it effects the rake or angle of the swing arm, that in turn prevents the fitting of the exhaust as it then fouls on the swingarm at the narrowest point.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
If you can source one, the 1999-2005 ZR-7S rear shock is the exact length of the EX OEM shock, has a 450lbs/in spring IIRC, and adjustable rebound and preload. I managed to snag one for an impossibly low price. Even if knackered, it's still better than the original.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah one of the UK lads fitted that one and quite liked it. although they are difficult to find here. TBH the shock may be changed out at some point, the SV one is very stiff (at least on 3/4 preload setting) far too much for my weight but I used it on purpose. having lowered the bike some 2 and half inch a softer spring would have bottomed out over a pothole so the rear suspension had to be practically ridged for all except the most extreme occasions. (almost a hardtail but not quite) once I have worked out how low I can run it while still being able to the fit the much lighter ER exhaust (without fouling the swing arm) I will know if a lighter rear shock would be better. thanks for the suggestion I will look into it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts