Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

Registered
2001 EX500R
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna post my quick little journey from neglected in a garage to being given a new life.
Here is my 01. Payed $600 from my aunt. Was running then stopped. Parked beside a tree. Has been dropped, has no front fairings.

I have a 97 gsxr750 that was a handme down from my step dad. I rode it for a summer with charging issues and tore it down to restore. It's in a corner of my parents shed an hour away and has sadly also been swept up with my many ADD projects.
This opportunity came up and I lunged at it. Haggled and bought and took the bike home in two days.

Glorious.
I'm new to motorcycles but mechanically trained. My dad however has been racing since before I was born and has built and tracked many a bike.

After the initial inspection. Aside from the drop scrapes. I was surprised how clean this thing was. It's been shuffled from garage to garage without being ridden since 2008.

It still had the original tires on it. The DOTs were 4700. They were dried and cracked and tread was starting to separate.

Found a pair of Michelin Pilot Streets for $160 which was a sweet deal. Since used tires were being asked for $200.
I changed the oil. Was told the plugs were new and they looked fairly clean but the left side was dead.(Culprit #1).
Swapped with a new plug and it sparked again. But still wouldn't turn over.

Airbox was clean with a new K&N filter.
Emptied the carb bowls and popped some ether in to see if it was bad gas(was told the gas was brand new). Started. Ran shortly. Died.

Culprit #2(was also told the carbs were just cleaned 馃檮)

Cleaned the carbs. Fully.
Tried starting again. Got her going with some more ether. Died again. Took off the tank. Started with ether. Ran fine until the gas ran out.

Culprit #3.
Figured I drain and add fresh better gas. Opened the tank and saw some rust. Checked the petcock filters for blockage. They were fairly clean.
But the rust was leaving flakes in the gas as I drained it.
So the rust has to go. It was pretty scaly in the deep ends.
And here we are.

I currently had 14L of Coca Cola stripping it down. And a box full of nuts and bolts to give it a tumble with after the soak.

I'll keep you posted. If you have any tips. Lay them on me haha!

Registered
Awesome post! Love the color!

Don't waste the Coke....it's better enjoyed as a drink that used a rust remover. If you're going to use a solution, use vinegar instead. Another VERY effective (and fun to watch) method is electrolysis. Water with washing soda (not baking soda) fills the tank to the brim. Then apply a 12v current from a battery charger; -ve connected to tank, +ve connected to a metal rod suspended in the water (not touching the tank). You'll be amazed what electrolysis can clean out..!!

Registered
Other solutions such as Evapo-Rust have had good results. POR-15 Rust Remover has great results, pricey but reusable.
You can also go full acid, but that stuff can be nasty.

How bad is the rust inside the tank? That will determine the extent of the treatment in a lot of cases.

Registered
2001 EX500R
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome post! Love the color!

Don't waste the Coke....it's better enjoyed as a drink that used a rust remover. If you're going to use a solution, use vinegar instead. Another VERY effective (and fun to watch) method is electrolysis. Water with washing soda (not baking soda) fills the tank to the brim. Then apply a 12v current from a battery charger; -ve connected to tank, +ve connected to a metal rod suspended in the water (not touching the tank). You'll be amazed what electrolysis can clean out..!!
Sounds like a game of operation hahah.

Registered
2001 EX500R
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Other solutions such as Evapo-Rust have had good results. POR-15 Rust Remover has great results, pricey but reusable.
You can also go full acid, but that stuff can be nasty.

How bad is the rust inside the tank? That will determine the extent of the treatment in a lot of cases.
And honestly it was hard for me to tell. At first glance it was a bit of surface but when I peeked deeper with the light it looked pretty deep and dark in the further reaches of the tank.
Trying to keep the cost of roading it to $1000 gonna use vinegar and water as a first rinse then the soap and hot water.
If this isn't satisfactory enough. I might consider that electrolysis. I'm sure I could fashion a static hanger for the rod.
Thanks for the tip.

Registered
I just re-did a tank with POR15's kit. I used EvapoRust first, then just followed everything else. It's curing, but I can take some shots if you're curious. Just did it on a '99 500...Same color!

Also, POR15 is still phosphoric acid so don't go into it thinking it's super friendly, wore PPE and vapor respirator for the whole thing. If the rust isn't bad, EvapoRust may be plenty for you and it's a hell a lot less dangerous to work with than straight acids.

If doing the vinegar stuff, i've done that before too. Make sure you shoot something in there or fill it to the brim with gas to cover it ASAP or you'll get to watch it re-rust in front of your eyes.

Good luck on getting it up and going. We are very similar right now, I'm restoring the '99 and the gas tank was part of my equation too.

Registered
EvapoRust would be good. Tractor Supply sells if for about 20/gallon. Or KBS rust Blast - actually KBS makes an entire kit to de-rust and seal your tank.

Registered
2001 EX500R
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just re-did a tank with POR15's kit. I used EvapoRust first, then just followed everything else. It's curing, but I can take some shots if you're curious. Just did it on a '99 500...Same color!

Also, POR15 is still phosphoric acid so don't go into it thinking it's super friendly, wore PPE and vapor respirator for the whole thing. If the rust isn't bad, EvapoRust may be plenty for you and it's a hell a lot less dangerous to work with than straight acids.

If doing the vinegar stuff, i've done that before too. Make sure you shoot something in there or fill it to the brim with gas to cover it ASAP or you'll get to watch it re-rust in front of your eyes.

Good luck on getting it up and going. We are very similar right now, I'm restoring the '99 and the gas tank was part of my equation too.
What are you resealing it with? WD40?

Did you have to cut the tank to do it? I saw a kit with a step that was painting the last seal/liner?

Registered
Uh lets see, when I vinegar derusted I generally use wd-40 just to keep it from flash rusting, but I didn't seal that one past that.

This was on an old 96 EX250. Just a spritz, not goin' crazy and puddling the stuff. Worked a-ok, seems to still be fine.
Just wouldn't empty the tank and leave it empty for long periods of time. Really wouldn't recommend that with any tank though unless properly dried and coated it with something.

Generally anytime you pickle the metal with an acid you need to coat it with something because it will 100% rust in front of your eyes.

Did not need to cut the tank..Nor did I on this run either. Not sure which tutorial you were checking out, I'm sure there's some weird stuff out there that I'm unfamiliar with.

Registered
2001 EX500R
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hahaha thanks. I flushed it as many times as I could with hot water and then soaked it with wd40.
Got her to start and even idle at choke now. Which is a far step above when it was not starting.

However I think the pair system is causing issues. When it's connected to the airbox it dies with the choke off. But with the hose removed the bike was idling with the choke off.

But it seemed a little laggy in the throttle.

Waiting on some new pads and I can test her on the road and see what she feels like.

Registered
If you have that kind of gunk coming out, make sure it's real clean. May benefit you to run either the suggested rail filter on the carb or an inline if you don't wanna go down to your carb.

Registered
2001 EX500R
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah. I filled it with Coke. Tossed in a few handfuls of nuts and bolts. Shook it like I wanted it's lunch money several times.
Dumped it.
Flushed with vinegar and water.
Flushed with soap and hot water.
Soap and hot water.
Hot water(脳3).
WD40 and a rag to rub some rust from the vinegar wash in the neck. And then soaked the inside with wd40 and shook it more to coat the inside.
Let it drain.
Then filled the tank with fresh 91 from shell no ethanol.
I might add some water removal just for peace of mind from the rinses.
Might get the carbs ultrasonic cleaned. Both my dads buddy and a friend of mine can do it. If I can't figure out the laggy throttle. Or I'm wondering if since the pair system is stalling the bike with the choke off if the vacuum line could also be affecting that throttle lag?

Registered
did you count all the nut/bolts out that you put in smaller ones get wedged in the crevices of the tank better to use just nuts 30+ threaded on a strong string. did the same thing different cleaners though. nuts and diesel (non explosive due to sparks) good shake all over then rinse out X2. good week long soak in cider vinegar. rinse out with kerosene (it mixes the new fuel) job done no more rust 3 years later still no rust inside.

Registered
Provided your cables are set right and you mean lag on the engine response not poor throttle action itself. I'd be inclined to check your diaphragms out make sure no small tears or anything if you didn't do that when you tore it down. I see the pic up there of the main jet holder, looks pretty nasty, did it and the other jets clean up ok?

Also..Everyone's throttle pull is different, are you really cranking this like you're trying to lift a wheel, or are you seeing issues on a steady roll you'd use off a red light in normal traffic?

As for your pair, as long as the hoses are in decent condition ( No leaks ) I don't think that's your issue, it doesn't do much outside of emissions.

Registered
2001 EX500R
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Provided your cables are set right and you mean lag on the engine response not poor throttle action itself. I'd be inclined to check your diaphragms out make sure no small tears or anything if you didn't do that when you tore it down. I see the pic up there of the main jet holder, looks pretty nasty, did it and the other jets clean up ok?

Also..Everyone's throttle pull is different, are you really cranking this like you're trying to lift a wheel, or are you seeing issues on a steady roll you'd use off a red light in normal traffic?

As for your pair, as long as the hoses are in decent condition ( No leaks ) I don't think that's your issue, it doesn't do much outside of emissions.
So I actually let my dad take care of the carbs since he's got the experience with it. He cleaned and hit the holes with some needles.
And yeah not cranking it. Maybe a quick half throttle twist.
And yeah the other jet wasn't nearly as gunked up.
And it just seems strange that the bike dies when I take the choke off with the pair hose in the airbox. But when I remove the hose it runs fine with the choke off.

Registered
2001 EX500R
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
did you count all the nut/bolts out that you put in smaller ones get wedged in the crevices of the tank better to use just nuts 30+ threaded on a strong string. did the same thing different cleaners though. nuts and diesel (non explosive due to sparks) good shake all over then rinse out X2. good week long soak in cider vinegar. rinse out with kerosene (it mixes the new fuel) job done no more rust 3 years later still no rust inside.
I didn't actually that would've been prudent of me in hindsight. I just shook the **** out of it until the last two stubborn ones came out. They were larger*not too large) nuts and bolts. I'm confident I got them all out. I banged the tank off my leg to see if anything was stuck.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts