Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
"And it just seems strange that the bike dies when I take the choke off with the pair hose in the airbox. But when I remove the hose it runs fine with the choke off."
Strange indeed! Runs on choke makes it sound too lean; runs good with extra intake source makes it sound too rich.
Anything obstructing the air cleaner element or the air horn under the right side of airbox?

·
Registered
8,394 Posts
And it just seems strange that the bike dies when I take the choke off with the pair hose in the airbox. But when I remove the hose it runs fine with the choke off.
Sounds like the carbs are set on the rich side. Removing the PAIR hose is allowing more air to enter the airbox. If that makes it run better then too much fuel is being delivered.

Best to never use small independent bits to scour rust off the inside of a tank. A 6”-8” length of bicycle chain is better. One piece to account for means no chance of a stray nut or bolt getting caught in a seam or baffle.

A lost nut or bolt could come back to haunt later on down the road. And not in a way you might imagine.

Reactions: LegahC

·
Registered
2001 EX500R
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Not that I see no. The snorkle on the right hand box is clear and the filter is brand new K&N.
I might do the pair delete anyways for the sake of clutter. And I'm considering the Fog Mod to maybe address the throttle lag.

·
Registered
2001 EX500R
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sounds like the carbs are set on the rich side. Removing the PAIR hose is allowing more air to enter the airbox. If that makes it run better then too much fuel is being delivered.

Best to never use small independent bits to scour rust off the inside of a tank. A 6”-8” length of bicycle chain is better. One piece to account for means no chance of a stray nut or bolt getting caught in a seam or baffle.

A lost nut or bolt could come back to haunt later on down the road. And not in a way you might imagine.
An old chain would be a good idea. My gxsr tank is probably actually in need of an R/R when I redo it. I'll keep this in mind.

·
Registered
2001 EX500R
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok gentleman I'm having a small last issue. Buttoning everything back together. Putting the caliper springs back in, but for the life of me I can't figure out how this rear caliper spring orients.
Can't find any pictures and I've yet to be able to find a manual to buy.
Anyone got any picks of the caliper springs installed or know where I can find the info?

·
Registered
2001 EX500R
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
She's alive!!! Runs, rides, stops. Lags around 4k rpm.
Stalled on me at a stop twice. I have it idling around 1500 though cause any lower and she dies.
Could be because I have the pair hose unplugged but it dies with the choke off when it's plugged in.
Got Mr. Lampones kit on the way to get rid of it. So I'll update with the system off.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the tips from everyone in the discussion. Really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2001 EX500R
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
@ducatiman Good day sir. I don't know if you have a quick link or if I can PM you. But I'm looking for a Carb rebuild kit for my 01.I've been scouring different carb issue posts but couldn't find an actual link or price. I live in Canada so sending my carbs your way isn't very doable for my with the season upon us. So I'll be looking to replace the oring internals and stuff while I have my jets and bits being ultrasonic cleaned. Got anything still kicking around for sale?

·
Registered
8,394 Posts
Pretty sure the link is in his sig at the bottom of any of his posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
no they are not supposed to be there looks like some half hearted attempt at getting more air into the box.
plug them up and start again with a 1in hole on the left case only.

·
Registered
2001 EX500R
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
no they are not supposed to be there looks like some half hearted attempt at getting more air into the box.
plug them up and start again with a 1in hole on the left case only.
Ok thanks. I'll have to figure out what to plug them with.

·
Registered
2001 EX500R
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Ok. Holes have been plugged with Ultrablack RTV and a new 1" hole has been inserted into the back of the left cover.

I have also installed Lampone's pair removal kit.

Sexy and clean.

My carbs ended up having a tear in a diaphragm so the carb bodies are currently being ultrasonic cleaned while I await my all balls rebuild kit.

I have ghettofabbed the diaphragm tear with some Permatex Ultra Black.
I've also ordered a chinese made diaphragm replacement for $8. I will try one then try the other if I have too then worst case fork out $180 for an Oem piston replacement.

Also swapped in iridium plugs for good luck.

And since I had the rust issues with the tank I added in the OEM Alternate # fuel filter in the lower rail tube.

·
Registered
2001 EX500R
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Awwwwwe helll yeah.
The carbs came back clean AF.
Gave me an itch to paint them(Don't ask).

Kinda cute, no?

And then voila!!!

Started up with some time to let the fuel run through and had the idle down to around 1300 with no issues.
Seems like the diaphragm rtv is holding. Could notice a difference with the plungers as soon as I reassembled them.

Took me almost all night to get the carbs back together so I'm gonna tune the jets to the Fog Mod tomorrow.

WOOOOOO. Sweet sweet victory.

·
Registered
2001 EX500R
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Ok. The rundown.
Bike. $600
Brakes. $17.65
Grips. $13.68
Tires. $169.00
Carb Kit $75.91
Boots $8.06
Lampone Pair Removal $52.28
Fuel Filter OEM $9.00
Oil/Filter/Battery $178.39
Plug $4.05
Iridium Plugs $21.68

For a grand total of $1149.70
All prices in CAD and include shipping costs.

I was aiming for $1000 or less but the pair removal, carb kit and iridum plugs, put me that extra over. But I'm ok with that. Just the sound of her turning over and idling at 12-1300 last night brough joy to my weary back.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts