Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted here much in a while. Idk who is still around from back when I was besides Apriliarider and ducatiman. I'll give a small back story then get to the point.

The EX500 was my first bike. Moved onto a '99 Speed Triple after a year and like 6,000 miles with the EX. Put a LOT of miles on the speed triple. Idk how many because the odo broke at one point but I think I have a solid 20,000 miles on it. Love it.

Bought an FJ09 in 2017 to get something newer I wasn't afraid to take on multistate trips. Rode it from KY to MO to SC once. Was an impulse buy, but also very cheap as a '15 model left over in 2017. Not a super great bike honestly. Build quality left things to be desired, fueling was terrible, traction control was a joke, list goes on. Shortly before I moved to Arizona I sold it.

So now I'm in the market for a bike out here. Was considering a real adv bike. But after talking with some forum members I don't think I'd be happy with one. I'll just a used DRZ or WR or something I'm not afraid to crash off road and can actually pick up if I drop in the mud. So the hunt is back on for a new street bike.

I went down to GOAZ in Scottsdale (3.5 hour drive) and rode some bikes. They were kind enough to let me have a spin on a '14 Ninja 1000, '19 Speed Triple S, and a 2017 Duke GT. Just a short little like 6 mile loop. All 3 of these have been bikes that highly interested me for a few years but I was most interested in the Duke and the new Speedy. Just wanted to try a Ninja because my friends said I might like it.

1st ride was the Ninja. I liked it when I was riding it, but wasn't sure if I loved it. Super docile on the side streets. It had pretty good torque. Gave it the beans on the highway. I got to speeds I won't admit faster than I realized. I just buried the throttle and got through 3rd and 4th. But it didn't leave me feeling WOW at the time. I thought a 140 hp bike would be nuts. This was no drama, easy power delivery. Hmm, maybe I need more power.

2nd ride was the Speed Triple. It was heavily discounted since it's a left over 19. I was thinking wow this is gonna be it, RIP my wallet. Hopped on and headed out. Immediately thought wow this just like mine! I'm in love! I was having a blast. Gobs of torque but a playful motor. Put it in track mode. Hopped on the highway and gave it some beans. Started to feel a little sketchy. the front end got light and I could feel it dancing. short shifted up, did it again. Looked down at the speedo and I wasn't going as fast as the kawi. I've had a similar problem with my speed triple and my FJ. The kawi was just rock solid, like begging you to keep ripping through the gears. The wind was also much worse on the highway vs the ninja. So I started thinking about the bike and... well.... it didn't really do anything my '99 doesn't. Sure, it's a little faster, but it doesn't feel that much faster. I ran my triumph at 11.7 @ 116 when I first got it. It's since been tuned and gained over 10 whp across the entire rpm band, I have no doubt it's faster now. So the difference in speed doesn't really show itself until you're pretty deep into triple digits... at which point the front end gets light and it's not fun. And I also don't ride that fast very often. So overall, super fun bike. But definitely not worth $10k more than a used 1050. Even the '11-13's are dropping into the $5k range. But I think a 08-10 is the speedy I would buy (I can go into detail on this in depth if anyone is curious).

3rd ride was the Duke GT. Thought this one was going to blow me away. Was expecting the torque of the triple, stupid horsepower (rated at like 170 hp or something absurd), wind comfort of the Ninja 1k. Set off and got to my typical antics. Tested the torque by rolling on at 4k in 4th gear and I was not impressed. Felt like it was lugging hard and going to vibrate apart. What good is 100 ft lbs of torque when I can't use it when I want? So kept riding. This bike was HOT. my friends that ride them said they never had problems. Idk what they're doing, this thing threw off serious heat. I played with the ride modes between the middle and aggressive setting. Both were not fun on side streets. Too touchy. Got on the highway and hammered it at 6k in 3rd gear. With 170 hp I was expecting to be blown away and I wasn't. The gears felt suuuuuuuper long. It was rock solid at speed, but I was pretty let down with how it felt. Maybe I'm broken but I feel like the 1290 is one of the most over-rated power plants out there after riding one.

So that's my story. Don't meet your heros, you may be disappointed. Now I'm in the market for a Ninja 1000.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
IOW reality bites. What, no S1000RR on your short list?

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IOW reality bites. What, no S1000RR on your short list?
I'll consider them. I need to ride one. But I think it's going to be hard to beat the value of a Ninja 1000. They're like $5-7k used with jap reliability/serviceability. The only benefit to a new one is cruise control, quickshifter, and fancy dash. But I don't feel that's worth $10k. S1000 is probably going to be nearly double the price of the Ninja just to buy.

Another bike on my list that I can't find is a 1050 sprint. I think that would be right up my alley.

...and K-woppa... Jeez 😁
I knew I forgot someone 🙃

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, and I'm considering a hayabusa now. That should have the power/torque/smoothness to blow me away. And actually seems like a very capable sport touring machine. Sure, it's excessive, but that's part of the fun.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Nuttin wrong wif a ‘Busa. I’ve ridden one and they’re as cushy to ride as they are fast. They also handle quite well for a big bike with a long-ish wheel base.

Interesting group of test rides you took. Also surprising to me in the outcome. Maybe you need a V4R Tuono.....ridiculously fast and supremely smooth....and used prices are around that $7-8K range. At least out here they are.....sean

·
Registered
319 Posts
I agree with po18guy...try an S1000R. The Busa might be powerful but it's a big pig, handling ain't it's best quality.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put a $100 refundable deposit/hold on a 2016 busa down in phoenix. Gonna go look at it next weekend. It's a little over priced but I'm hoping I can talk them down a bit. Honestly I don't mind paying for the convenience at this point. It's only a day trip away, I can have it now, and being in AZ they'll title/register it for me. I don't live close to a DMV. After watching the youtube videos busa sounds like a good choice and the circumstances are right. I don't want to keep waiting for a slightly better deal and miss out on ride time.

A lot of my riding will be slabbing it 60 miles to the closest town. I'm also the kinda guy that likes to hit twisties, then take the highway home. I'm not a backroad warrior so I'm sure the busa will be fine.

A V4 Tuono was always one of my dream bikes. But I'm not as mechanically inclined as a lot of you and I don't think I can handle in depth maintenance tasks on the V4. I think the Busa will be a bit more appliance like in terms of maintenance which is what I'm going for.

·
Registered
760 Posts
If you like the twisties I don't think the 'Busa is going to be the best choice. I mean, I've seen people ride Harley's through twisties better than some sport bike riders but a Hyabusa??? That's a drag bike, IMO.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
A while back, 4 years ago I think, I did a demo day at the motorcycle shop down the street from my work. Rode a bunch of bikes, forget exactly all of them as it was quite a few, but it gave me the chance to see what else is out there, even if I wasn't in the market for another bike at the time. Funny you mention owning and disliking the FZ09 as that was the highlight of the demo day for me and many others. Bike had recently been released so everyone wanted a spin on it. I got mine and loved it, though I must say I didn't get it over 100 and never owned one so can't speak to reliability or anything, just that my initial impressions were fantastic. The riding position was comfortable, power band was broad with excellent grunt and it handled well.

I took a used Gixxer 1000 (it was several years old, definitely not the latest and greatest but less than 10 years old, 5 I think) for a spin as well. Like you, I was expecting to be blown away by the power of a liter bike and just, well, wasn't. Again like you, I found speeds far above any posted legal limit in a hurry and it was stable at speed, but it didn't FEEL fast. Certainly didn't have the grunt of a triple. Wasn't as nimble on city streets as my EX500, though comparing those two bikes isn't a very fair comparison for many reasons. Walked away from that test ride certain I would never buy a GSXR 1000. Amusing anecdote from that test ride, I later was on some facebook motorcycle page and made a comment about how a GSXR 1000 didn't impress me and some meathead flew off the handle about how much of a newb I was and I just didn't ride it right, didn't know what I was talking about, blah blah blah. Didn't pay him any attention and I'm glad others out there have had a similar feeling riding a similar bike.

Took a few other not very memorable bikes for a spin such as a Yamaha Bolt, which I immediately did not like and couldn't wait to get off it. I think a DRZ was in there and some tiny engine budget bike.
One bike I did ride which didn't leave me breathless but I found to be well designed with a decent power plant was the FZ07. It was something I thought to be a perfect step up for anyone who learned on a Ninja 250, 500 or similar bike as well as for anyone looking for a well rounded commuter.

I also recently got the chance to put some break-in miles on a coworkers brand new ZX6R a few months back. My takeway is that it would make a good bike to go fast around a track but terrible for street riding.

On to your choice of a Hayabusa, I agree with Devilsfan, that strikes me as an odd choice for back road riding. The bike seems much better suited to high speed straight line riding. Sounds like you haven't taken it for a test ride yet? If so, I suppose you, and the rest of us when you post about it, will know whether or not it is the bike for you.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If you like the twisties I don't think the 'Busa is going to be the best choice. I mean, I've seen people ride Harley's through twisties better than some sport bike riders but a Hyabusa??? That's a drag bike, IMO.
People take FJR, Connie 14, VFR1200, etc through the twisties just fine. The busa is immensly more capable at twisties than those bikes. There's no reason it isn't up to sport touring. Just because it's fast as hell doesn't mean it's only good at running the drag strip. I've seen some very talented riders on FJR's and GS's just leave supersports in the dust.

I can't think of another way to get the torque I'm looking for combined with stability at speed/comfort on the highway. I'm sure the Ninja 1000 will handle tight switchbacks better but that isn't the type of riding I like. 45 mph suggested corners are my thing.

Also, if you liked the FZ that much, I would encourage you to try a speed triple if you get a chance. The bike ruined me. It'll make the FZ feel absolutely gutless before 8k if you ride them back to back. That said, the FZ does have a good top end rush.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Also, if you liked the FZ that much, I would encourage you to try a speed triple if you get a chance. The bike ruined me. It'll make the FZ feel absolutely gutless before 8k if you ride them back to back. That said, the FZ does have a good top end rush.
I have actually been wanting to take a Speed or Street Triple for a test ride for some time now. I've seen the FZ and the Speed/Street Triple compared before and that's what got me thinking about it. I have a feeling I'll enjoy it, though it'll be tough to beat the fun factor of my Duc 900SS and it certainly isn't as stylish either, at least for me anyways.

Like you, I've also wanted a Tuono now for a while after sitting on one belonging to a coworker and realizing how comfortable it is. I got to watch him dominate the corners on a small group ride too so I know it handles.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
On to your choice of a Hayabusa, I agree with Devilsfan, that strikes me as an odd choice for back road riding. The bike seems much better suited to high speed straight line riding.
Once again, I've ridden a 'Busa. More than once. What I can tell you is, it does not handle poorly like you are suggesting. It actually is not a pig in the twisty stuff.

My best riding buddy Roy, was killed in a vehicle/motorcycle accident on his 2nd 'Busa when his right of way was violated. He put just short of 100K on his first one which was totaled when an old truck without brake lights stopped short in front of him and he ass ended it.

I rode his first one. It handled quite well for a bike with a longish wheel base. It certainly kept up with my Mille R in the twisties around Lake Berryessa. Roy was a capable rider and he chucked that 'Busa into corners at insane speeds. He never lost the front end doing so either.

When I rode it, my immediate impression was that it handled much like my old ZX-7. My second impression was, ergonomically it was quite close to the ZX-7 too. That made it immediately familiar. The transmission was quite a bit slicker shifting than the old ZX-7. When I rolled on the throttle, it was most definitely NOT at all like my old ZX. The punch off of corners is immense. It is also capable of maintaining high corner speeds.

If a 'Busa works that well around Lake Berryessa, with its tight and twisting corners I'm certain it will be fine in the wider open spaces of Arizona where Mangs lives now.....sean

Reactions: Devilsfan

·
Registered
760 Posts
I admit that I can't say much other than looking at one as I've never rode one. Like I did say though, I've seen guys ride Harley's better than some sport bike riders so it all comes down to what YOU can handle.
Either way, get the bike that you want and ride the hell out of it!

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright. What a wild ride. Right after my I thought I might lose my job. Ominous emails from the CEO and shady answers from my superiors. But we got stimulus and federal funding, surgeries are starting again, and the CEO said we were good to continue as is. Started bike shopping again. Had a deal on a gen 1 Hayabusa. Price was kinda above what I wanted but I didn't want to let a few hundred stop me from riding. Clean bike. But I legit lost sleep over whether it was the right bike and the horror stories of 2nd gear. So I backed out of the deal.

Now we're back to the bike that started it all. 2013 Speed Triple. Saw this on market place which is what brought me to GOAZ in my first post. Wanted to check it out but they told me it had a deposit and wasn't available.

So I was browsing their website and a bunch of used bikes they had before were gone, but this was still there. Called that sales guy again and he said it was available. Made a deal on it. Booked a one way ticket to phoenix on Greyhound and I'll ride it back tomorrow.

The price is ok. They worked with me some. It's a dealer so it's gonna be high but they are a triumph dealer. Triumph tech has a PPI sheet for me. They can prove it has brand new battery, fluids, tires. And I don't have to deal with signing titles and DMV non sense so this is a convenience thing for me too. This one just feels right.

I like my speed triple. 20k miles or so later and I like it as much as the day I laid eyes on it. I liked the 2018 that I rode. I'm 100% sure I'll like this one too. The exhaust sounds amazing. It's down on power slightly from the new one. But with that exhaust it's pretty much level again. Trust me when I say a speed triple does not need more power. The 140 or so it makes at the crank with that exhaust is PLENTY. It has ABS which is the only aid I care about. The new one felt a little soft with all the aids and tft dash and cruise, etc. This one is back to basics.

The looks kill me. I love Triumph's wild colors. The Sulphur Yellow just pops in the Arizona sun. It's got carbon fiber on the tail (that trapezoidal piece below the passenger area, and that dark spot in front of the fork. High end levers, either Pazzo or Rizoma. Can't tell from the pics. Triumph bar end mirrors. And the black fly screen aka pixie hat.

The only thing I'm going to do is get some SW Motech Blaze saddle bags (really neat and affordable system), sw motech evo tank bag, and plan some epic rides. I already am taking the long way home from phoenix. Definitely hitting 89 up

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sweet! I love The S3 and that color is awesome. Still miss my 955i Daytona.

89 is a wicked road. Took a family vacation to Sedona 2 years ago, we visited Jerome and just kept going to the top of the mountain afterwards. The entire time I kept telling my wife I need to come back and do this road on 2 wheels.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright. That was an adventure too. Woke up at 3 am to get to the bus on time. Came out to a flat tire on my car. Got it changed and made it with 10 min to spare.

Wellllll there isn't parking at the bus station. Had to park at whole foods and run to not be late.

But made it to the dealer and everything was cool there. Smoothest process ever. Signed some papers, wrote a check, and i was off. I just went straight back so I could get my car tire patched.

The whole ride back... Not once did I think I got the wrong bike. It cruised 80-85 beautifully. Wind wasn't an issue surprisingly. Bike still rips into the triple digits even at 8k density altitude. I hit the limiter a few times because it just pulls through the gears so quick and strong. No wind buffeting. Not sure if its my HJC RPHA helmet, better aero on the bike, a combo, or what. But working great.

Only quirk on the bike is if you shut it off in gear then put it in neutral with the engine off, the neutral light won't always register. So that means you have to put the stand up and clutch in to start it. Then shift to 1st and back to neutral while its running and it registers fine. I don't think anything is wrong, just a funny quirk.

Computer said I was getting like over 60 mpg the whole way. I don't buy it. I'll do a manual calc and see next time I'm out on it.

Arrow exhaust is hilarious. It pops and bangs like nothing I've experienced. Great sound with a load on the engine. But cant even hear it cruising down the highway

So all in all today heres how it went. 3 am - leave for bus. 5 am - bus leaves flag for phoenix. 730 - arrive in phoenix. 8 - uber to dealer. 830 - arrive at dealer. They didn't open til 9. I left at 950. Like 30 min was spent calling my insurance agent. That took more time than anything. 1230 - arrive in flag. Go run my car to get the tire patched. Then back to the bike and ride home. Got home at 3. Now its 5 and I'm catching a ride back to flag to get my car. Then I drive home. So all of this together is like 600 miles total I covered today but I'll have been up from 3 am to 10 pm. So 19 hours. Yikes. Sales guy said this is going dowm as one of his epic sales stories. Guy catches a greyhound at 5 am to get a bike.

But the thing is... Wayyyyy cheaper than renting a Uhaul truck and trailer. And really not much time woulda been saved doing that.

·
Super Moderator
14,679 Posts
Grats on another great machine purchase. You know you'll be happy. Impressive job maximizing your time and efforts today, I must admire your youthful stamina!
Another observation......above and beyond todays trip....you've come a long way (on many levels) my friend!

·
Administrator
3,674 Posts
Grats on another great machine purchase. You know you'll be happy. Impressive job maximizing your time and efforts today, I must admire your youthful stamina!
Another observation......above and beyond todays trip....you've come a long way (on many levels) my friend!
Yeah, I remember when some of us thought he was getting in over his head when buying the first Speedy. He sure proved us wrong and I'm glad.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts