Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Dowco 3-piece luggage set for $105 from www.motorcycle-superstore.com and installed it today. The package includes a tank bag, tail bag, and saddlebags. It also came with saddlebag pads/heatshields which seem a little oversize, but if they protect the paint I guess I can live with them.

Here's a pic:

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Looks sweet, Can you still have a passenger with these on ?

R

·
0 Posts
You can have a passenger with any saddlebags and tank bag on the bike! Just get creative. Rode like this, two-up, for 3 hours.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got Cortech tail bag for my SV.
On my EX I had Jivi tail rack and 35L top box.
I will probably get a tank bag to carry small items when touring !

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lacessit said:
Those look pretty nice... definately can't argue with the price. Let us know what you think after a few rides.
So far so good, the mounting is very stable, no moving around at highway speeds. I use the tailbag for food/beverages and travel necessities. It comes off with two snaps and into the office we go.

Frog: No passenger when running the tailbag, but no problem with the rest of the set.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Cool stuff, thanks :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Man, I must have been ripped off, I payed a lot for just the Dowco tank bag, although it's a lot bigger than your tankbag looks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You get what you pay for. I saved a few bucks with the set, but the quality is just so-so. I have been using this "value pak" set for a year and a half, probably about 20,000 miles of daily use. They still look and function ok, but the zippers on the saddlebags are too weak and sometimes separate. You have to unzip it and hold it together when re-zipping and then its ok. Other than that issue, they are fine.

I am keeping my eye out for a magnetic tank bag with a bit more capacity. Being cheap like I am its gonna have to be a good deal!

I cannot imagine not having luggage on the bike. I carry my bike cover in one saddlebag, raingear/jacket liner and spare shield in the other, gloves and glasses in the tank bag, and my meals/drinks for work in the tailbag.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Actually, after I posted, I realized the reason for the difference in price. I got the Dowco Fastrax series tankbag. Different look, and, I guess you're right about getting what you pay for, 'cause I'm happy with the quality, but I paid for it. ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've had the same set now for about 3 years and they're still holding up well. One trick I learned was to leave the tail bag attached to the saddle bags. Drape the saddle bags over the seat rather than under it and just loop the tail strap under the licence light. When you un-clip the passenger peg straps, the whole tail-and-saddle set comes off in one easy pull. Makes life easy for carrying in groceries and such.

I've never been able to ride 2-up with the saddle bags in though, they still sit too far forward. Mayube I'm doing something wrong.

·
Registered
428 Posts
i've been hunting for saddle bags that would work with 2-up and these look like they might be it.
thanks commuter.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't run a passenger but these bags do cover the passenger foot pegs. You may need something smaller, like Nelson-Rigg mini sport saddlebags.

You may be able to mount the Dowco's further back, but the rear "over the seat" strap may have to go over the tail section instead of the seat. I haven't tried it, but that might work.

·
Registered
428 Posts
yeah, upon a closer look i see where they cover the pegs. :-\ oh well. thanks anyway.

F

·
0 Posts
Check out my luggage set. 20 bucks plus a backpack and some bungees! ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts