Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a ex500 and the thing had no spark so because i knew nothing about the bike besides that it had sat for a long time i just purchased everything that i thought would keep it from getting spark.

Replaced spark plugs, ignition coils, fuse box, ic igniter,ht coils, pick up coil,starter relay, regulator and its still not getting spark. Anyone have any idea of what i might try next? I was thinking the brushes in the starter.

Appreciate any help from anyone. Would like to ride this thing already.

·
Super Moderator
14,500 Posts
@itsmejonny be cognizant some electrical components you've replaced are specific to series and age of the 500...aka gen 1 or 2. And USA and Euro models can differ.
Always advisable to add year/mileage and background info to problem seeking opening posts, electrical even moreso, if not imperative.

Any changes to ignition switch somewhere along the line? Other electrical "mods" anywhere?
Year? Miles? Location?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Down the line

I recently bought a ex500 and the thing had no spark so because i knew nothing about the bike besides that it had sat for a long time i just purchased everything that i thought would keep it from getting spark.

Replaced spark plugs, ignition coils, fuse box, ic igniter,ht coils, pick up coil,starter relay, regulator and its still not getting spark. Anyone have any idea of what i might try next? I was thinking the brushes in the starter.

Appreciate any help from anyone. Would like to ride this thing already.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
@ducatiman Thanks for reply and whats imperitive to include. Yes, I replaced the ignition, year is 2000, USA model,12,000 miles, and also when I turn it over the starter cycles but then it has a high winding sound like its stopped engaging.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
@po18guy Yes, I have a multimeter and Ive checked the ignition HT coils and the ohms are as the book says it should be primary resistance 2.2 to 3.9 ohms and secondary 10-16 ohms.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Primary resistance should be 2.3-3.5 ohms.
Secondary resistance should be 12k-16k ohms.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
A) Throwing parts at a problem before you even know the source of said problem is an expensive way to trouble shoot.

B) Starter brushes have zero to do with whether or not you get spark from your spark plugs.

C) How did you check for spark at said plugs? Did you start by grounding the plug to a known good ground?

D) If your starter turns the engine over, but then just spins freely, it could be the sprag clutch is going out.

E) You state that you changed the pick up but did you check the flywheel? Are the magnets still attached to it? Did the woodruff key fail?

F) If you've changed all the electrical components in the system with known good components, it's likely the problem is mechanical rather than electrical.

G) Good luck. If you run into issues using this post as a check list, refer back to points A and F.

H) Where on this planet are you? Adding your location to your profile not only lets the forum know where you are but also if you are near established members who may be able to lend you hand with troubleshooting your issues.

I) Ignition. Is your engine kill switch in the on position? Is it actually functioning? Not specific to the EX, but these have been known to fail in other models. The switch can be in the physical "on" position but internally is either electrically not in the on position or mechanically (broken) not in the on position. Wire could be broken etc.

·
Registered
19,160 Posts
What year bike
The ignition signal and the spark timing come fro the flywheel there are triggers on the periphery of the flywheel that trip hall sensors the send the fire signal to the spark box.
If a series 1 bike you may have a bad flywheel
be sure the wires to the flywheel are in tact and not broken

FOG

·
Registered
29 Posts
The best way to check spark when you cannot see it and think it is not there to be 100% sure, as a last ditch effort is; wrap your hand around the spark plug around the top and side of electrode and make a tight fist around it. First tap the starter button slow then fast once you realize there is no spark and you actually are not dancing around lolololol. Do not attempt this spark testing method if you have a pace maker. If you do have dancing going on, realize it was probably too bright to see the spark.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
The best way to check spark when you cannot see it and think it is not there to be 100% sure, as a last ditch effort is; wrap your hand around the spark plug around the top and side of electrode and make a tight fist around it. First tap the starter button slow then fast once you realize there is no spark and you actually are not dancing around lolololol. Do not attempt this spark testing method if you have a pace maker. If you do have dancing going on, realize it was probably too bright to see the spark.
I realize this comment is being made in jest, and is to be taken with a great deal of humor but it is completely, and wholly unhelpful to @itsmejonny

·
Super Moderator
14,500 Posts
much like "bike running, put in gear to clean the chain"..must come with full, formal warning NOT to perform this above method.

Never know who is reading these threads, accepting of any advise....even that intended in jest could be misinterpreted and result in injury, however minor.

So.....consider yourselves officially WARNED.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The case for testing spark with feeling.

It is literally NOT made in jest and is a totally definitive and 100% conclusive when even a spark tester can be otherwise. Also a test I perform and rely on, I have a small engine repair business. If myself or any technician EVER state there is no spark as a result of a bad coil the last line of defense is this test (or inline spark tester which I perform this test after also since sometimes a coil will arc at 1mm but not at 2 or 3 (Coil should be changed if under compression and will not jump over 4-6cm.) Under full compression the spark needs to be able to traverse AT LEAST 6mm). You would be surprised how often a brand new spark plug arcs deep within itself and not to electrode tip because of internal cracks but coil is good (have changed coil (or coils) and brand new spark plug was not sparking and realized this test or inline tester which is usually deep in the god knowswhereness). I keep getting in line spark testers but some technicians loose them also I don't fully trust them for reasons stated in paragraph. I myself use this test as a last line of defense even with an adjustable in line tester present. If it seems negative spark on tester and it is SUPER bright there may still be spark present, It can be elusive to see.

See
to see how to properly test small engine coils and spark gap strength.

Be advised if you are outside you will likely need to get creative to shade the sun enough to see the spark in a tester like this.

I have a lot of considerations with brightness and out on the field types since we ONLY do mobile repairs. When you are out there 300 ft with a big hill to walk up to go get a spark tester and its 105f and you are working up your second cup of gooch juice or swamp booty, you may consider this method. As DM said do be careful and perform at your own risk.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Well I just find it shocking to say the least.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Apriliarider Its been so long since Ive worked on anything with a motor its all greek to me. I completely spaced out "C" option and have arranged to borrow a plug tester to get a right reading. I realize its not necessary but Im going to use it anyways. Thanks for input I really appreciate, everyone, and the crazy advice too. Added a little humor to my headache from trying to figure this thing out. About my parts I bought them new OEM thru a friend that's a kawasaki dealer/mechanic. So, I don't think theres anything wrong with them.

@fog Its a GenII bike year 2000 Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
73 Posts
By itsmejonny: Thanks for reply and whats imperitive to include. Yes, I replaced the ignition, year is 2000, USA model,12,000 miles, and also when I turn it over the starter cycles but then it has a high winding sound like its stopped engaging.

It sounds like there's a problem w the starter clutch. If the starter clutch doesn't engage, then the crankshaft isn't turning, so no spark. There's probably a youtube video. If you don't find anything specific about a Ninja 500 starter clutch or one that sounds the same as yours, try a different model, such as Ninja 250.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@martin-csr. Thanks for the input. I pulled the starter and immediately noticed that the chain was way lose. Is there a tensioner for that chain? I was looking fur but wasn't sure whay I was looking for if there was even one to look for. Thanks again everyone who's left crazy and level minded input. Lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm not familiar with the EX500. I don't know how loose the the starter chain should be.
The diagrams at partzilla don't show a tensioner, but there is a chain guide.

Battery. Make sure the battery is good & fully charged. The motorcycle needs a good, fully charged battery to start & run right. I would connect it to a good motorcycle smart charger overnight, and then test the battery with a digital multimeter & do a load test (or have it load tested).

I use a Ctek US 0.8 smart charger & VC97 digital multimeter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts