Super Moderator
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The post corona ride

Who's in?

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
If it wasn't 1,100 miles away I'd do it! Sounds great. If you get a group together we need a photo!

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'd love to ride the Dragon, even if it is likely crowded. There's enough fabulous roads in the same area that don't attract the same attention to get in some good riding.

I'm a measly 612 miles by freeway, and 721 miles by a more relaxed route with nicer roads and scenery. That distances precludes the 996; my body simply wouldn't make it, and maybe the bike wouldn't make it either :). The VFR is still in pieces, with no much chance of that changing anytime soon. So, if I did go, it would be on my 2-wheeled sofa (Goldwing).

Reactions: bpe

·
Super Moderator
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The key to missing the crowd is to be there first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
19,488 Posts
Move to the Ozarks I got a super road 5 miles fro my house 33 miles long 1000 turns two elevation changes of 1000' posted @ 55 and you can't do it, no cops.
This road (AR 341) made me quit riding as my 80 year body coulden't cash the check my 35 year old racer brail was writing.

FOG

·
Registered
32 Posts
Move to the Ozarks I got a super road...
I must have got on a mailing list for a group out of Harrison, AR that promotes riding in the area. They send me flyers with lodging and what looks like really great pre-mapped rides. Its "only" about 8 hours from my house and I don't have much excuse for not trying it out; I've made the 11 hour ride to the Dragon on more than one occasion in the name of curves...

·
Registered
235 Posts
I wanted to trailer my EX up there two weeks ago, the weather was so bad with rain and snow I just ended up visiting my cousin about 500 miles shy of the Dragon. Its about 800 miles for me, was gona use my Jeep with the trailer and might have evened slept out of the vehicle.

You gona rent a hotel room?

·
Super Moderator
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it wasn't 1,100 miles away I'd do it!
You could take home the longest distance travelled award.
Move to the Ozarks I got a super road 5 miles fro my house 33 miles long 1000 turns two elevation changes of 1000' posted @ 55 and you can't do it, no cops.
But who would take my picture?
We’re going easter weekend
Way too early for me. The corona will still be in play, and too cold.
You gona rent a hotel room?
Yeah, even though it's only about 160 miles for me, I wouldn't want to go up and back in one day.

I will have to get a hair cut before I go. Which I refuse to do until the mask requirements are lifted. I really hope that happens before temps reach 90*.
20210320_070300.jpg

It's becoming a real issue.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just say "No to Haircuts!!!" you can always just pull it back and stick it in a pony tail right? Least you don't have a neck tattoo, or do you?

·
Super Moderator
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No tattoo's, but I may need a bigger helmet.

·
Super Moderator
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm a slave to fashion.

Reactions: ridervfr

·
Registered
10 Posts
Last August I rented a GS850 in Asheville and rode the Blue Ridge Parkway out to the Dragon, the BRP was awesome, very little traffic. Once I got out to the Dragon there were a lot of bikes, but a majority were parked, ie Harleys, I was never block by a slower rider. Then again this was on a Thursday, I would not go on a weekend in the summer.

Pro tip, down load your off line maps before you start

:-(

·
Super Moderator
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was there on Labor Day weekend and didn't see any heavy traffic. But I went first thing in the morning. But the traffic issue was trying to get down the main drag in Maryville, TN. The ole' radiator fan got a work out there.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Just got back from a family vacation in the Smoky Mountains. Having driven some of the roads in the area I am dreaming of returning on 2 wheels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts