Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one installed Driving lights or fog lights on thier 500? If so, got pics? what worked what didnt? what type,style? brand and url purchased from?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I've only read a couple of ideas on the 500's electrical system.
You may want to SEARCH and read those topics for yourself.

Seems like the 500 electrical system is just good enough to do what it has to do as is.
So if you wanted to add more lighting... then you need to reduce the other loads too.

Replace the running lights with more efficient LEDs & use a more efficient headlight bulb.
They'll give you the same or better lights using fewer watts.

Then maybe you can add some other lights, especially if they have a seperate on/off switch so that they're not always loading the system... or limiting battery recharge, esp. on short trips.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I mounted fog lights on the lower part of the radiator and my battery was drained in like two trips... don't do it.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
a.lee.hagen said:
I mounted fog lights on the lower part of the radiator and my battery was drained in like two trips... don't do it.
Do you know what type of bulbs they used? What wattage & light output (lumens)?

It might be that some incandescent mega-bulbs just take too much current. But modern "tweaked"designs might work if they don't make much waste heat.

A Jan '06 Cons Rpts article on replacement car headlight bulbs did not address energy efficiency but concluded:

"Bottom Line
Our tests showed that while they do yield whiter-looking light, premium aftermarket halogen bulbs don’t offer a consistent performance advantage over original equipment bulbs, and they can perform worse. Much of a headlight’s distribution of light is dictated by its reflector and lens, factors that remain unaffected by changing the bulb. And the combination of higher cost and some manufacturer specifications of a shorter life span than standard replacement bulbs add up to increased costs."

On a lighter note... here's a bicyclists lanp you could stick on your helmet. : ]
http://www.instructables.com/id/E2K9BN5EDKEUBYRD9V/

·
Registered
169 Posts
you can have the stator rewound for more power though, yes?

I believe that would cause more problems with wiring and the regulator though.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
it would make the R/R's job a bit harder yes... weather or not it could take on the extra load, i don't know.

I'm not entirely sure why one would need fog/driving lights installed. If you need more light further down the road, adjust your headlight closer to the horizon. the nice thing about the EX500's lighting system is that it produces a wide beam on low. adjust your light to take advantage of that beam! If you get other drivers to flash you constantly, you know you've gone a touch too far. The occasional flash is right where you want it, if not a tad lower.

·
Registered
279 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
a.lee.hagen said:
Do you know what type of bulbs they used? What wattage & light output (lumens)?
I got the lamps from a friend and am not entirely sure, sorry I can't help you there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not entirely sure why one would need fog/driving lights installed. If you need more light further down the road, adjust your headlight closer to the horizon. the nice thing about the EX500's lighting system is that it produces a wide beam on low. adjust your light to take advantage of that beam! If you get other drivers to flash you constantly, you know you've gone a touch too far. The occasional flash is right where you want it, if not a tad lower.
[/quote]

Its not just down the road lighting im seeking, its a broader view of the road im looking for by installing driving lights. One of the twistiest roads around is a national park road called Natchez parkway. its just short of 200 miles between 3 states. Its great to ride for pleasure, plus when travling out of town its the best way back. Need less to say its DARK at night with thick tree line on both sides, deer and other creatures are aways just a chance away from wondering on the road.
Are the stock headight bulbs 55watt? i was thinking more of a single light out of a pair that would throw more of a fish eye beam on the road.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
WPG said:
knightslugger said:
Its not just down the road lighting im seeking, its a broader view of the road im looking for by installing driving lights. One of the twistiest roads around is a national park road called Natchez parkway. its just short of 200 miles between 3 states. Its great to ride for pleasure, plus when travling out of town its the best way back. Need less to say its DARK at night with thick tree line on both sides, deer and other creatures are aways just a chance away from wondering on the road.
Are the stock headight bulbs 55watt? i was thinking more of a single light out of a pair that would throw more of a fish eye beam on the road.
Yes, the stock low AFAIK is 55W, or about 4 Amps.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sorry to dredge up an old post, but I just installed a pair of 55 Watt driving lights ($15) from Walmart. I used the two front cowling mounting bolts under the headlight on my 2nd Gen 500R, so no drilling or modification required. I was concerned about excess current draw blowing the lamp fuse so I have one lamp wired to my Low beam circuit and the other wired to the High beam circuit. The result is excellent visibility of the road directly in front of me, and they will definitely help cagers see me coming. I have them adjusted downward so I don't blind other drivers, but keep in mind that these are not legal for highway use.

I also use a Sylvania Silver Star headlamp bulb, which is a bit brighter than the stock unit.

Due to the hours I work, I always come home after dark, so improving the lighting has always been something I wanted to do. Between the Sylvania bulb and the driving lights, I can see better.

Next project is the improve my visibility from the rear. I am not happy with just a brake light...

[attachment deleted by admin]

R

·
0 Posts
Could you do an as detailed as possible write-up on how you did that? It's still on my project list for the bike too. I'm an idiot with electrics, so please, if you have the time, I'd love to see a simple but detailed write up. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
commuter said:
Next project is the improve my visibility from the rear. I am not happy with just a brake light...
Icon MilSpec vest.
$55 from NewEnough.com
- Improves visibility from both front and rear, both night and day
- Cool styling
- Requires no maintenance
- Requires no installation or tools
- Lasts basically forever
- You can keep it after you sell your Ninja

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Maybe the best of both worlds. I live in a very foggy area, foothills of Blue Mountain, with lots of deer, so I am picking up one of these. (Not expensive either.)

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H4.asp#45W

Extreme Yellow Xenon H4 Bulbs - 12V

The Optilux Extreme Yellow Xenon bulb is a the first High Perfomance Yellow or Amber Bulb to be offered. These bulbs are not as Yellow as a YellowStar. The Extreme Yellow Xenon bulbs have been designed to replace the Dichroic YellowStar bulbs because the chemicals used in Dichroic Bulbs are considered hazardous in Europe, and will not longer be available there. Bulbs that emit a yellow color are commonly called "all weather" bulbs because the yellow/amber color makes it significantly easier for on-coming traffic to see you in bad weather, and, more importantly, the yellow or amber color does not reflect back from rain, fog or snow as much as white or blue bulbs. The color is toward the warmer end of the visible light spectrum and has a longer wavelength which does not diffract as much as cooler colors therefore causing less eye strain.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hey commuter could u post a pick form the front side of the whole bike i am interested to see how it looks all together i like that idea. also how are those not street legal...is it b/c of where u live or b/c its aux. lighting on bikes are not legal. thanks

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
exer said:
Maybe the best of both worlds. I live in a very foggy area, foothills of Blue Mountain, with lots of deer, so I am picking up one of these. (Not expensive either.)

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H4.asp#45W

Extreme Yellow Xenon H4 Bulbs - 12V

The Optilux Extreme Yellow Xenon bulb is a the first High Perfomance Yellow or Amber Bulb to be offered. These bulbs are not as Yellow as a YellowStar. The Extreme Yellow Xenon bulbs have been designed to replace the Dichroic YellowStar bulbs because the chemicals used in Dichroic Bulbs are considered hazardous in Europe, and will not longer be available there. Bulbs that emit a yellow color are commonly called "all weather" bulbs because the yellow/amber color makes it significantly easier for on-coming traffic to see you in bad weather, and, more importantly, the yellow or amber color does not reflect back from rain, fog or snow as much as white or blue bulbs. The color is toward the warmer end of the visible light spectrum and has a longer wavelength which does not diffract as much as cooler colors therefore causing less eye strain.
Woo-hoo: Dig the physics!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Front View

TX500ninja said:
hey commuter could u post a pick form the front side of the whole bike i am interested to see how it looks all together i like that idea. also how are those not street legal...is it b/c of where u live or b/c its aux. lighting on bikes are not legal. thanks
Here is a shot of the front with the lamps. I believe that they are not highway legal because of their brightness and the risk to oncoming motorists. They are very bright from the front, even during the day, but I am willing to risk getting pulled over if it improves my safety. Like I mentioned, I have them adjusted low so they don't blind oncoming traffic.

I am trying to use Flickr image hosting, so lets see if this works... EDIT: It didn't, so here is an attachment...

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
150 Posts
ShadesOfGray said:
commuter said:
Icon MilSpec vest.
$55 from NewEnough.com
- Improves visibility from both front and rear, both night and day
- Cool styling
- Requires no maintenance
- Requires no installation or tools
- Lasts basically forever
- You can keep it after you sell your Ninja

I like it! I wear a mesh jacket with reflective "Kawasaki" on the back, but the vest would definitely be more noticeable.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Royson said:
Could you do an as detailed as possible write-up on how you did that? It's still on my project list for the bike too. I'm an idiot with electrics, so please, if you have the time, I'd love to see a simple but detailed write up. Thanks. :)
I went out and shot some pictures of what I did. If the link below works, check them out.

I was hoping the lights would fit into the side vents of the front cowling, but they were just a bit too big. After looking at the front of the bike, I realized that they would bolt right up to the underside of the cowling using the existing 10mm bolts.

Because these things draw about 4 amps each, I did not want to have both on simultaneously. That would likely blow the fuse for the headlamp and the charging system may not have enough capacity. So I have one wired to the low beam and other wired to the high beam circuit. The downside is it looks like one light is not working. Oh well, it's not like I care what I look like anyway. If I did, I'd get some tattoos and a Harley.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nzook/sets/72157602916500405/detail/

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
That looks like a neat mod. Is it a big improvement over just having the headlight there, as far as what you can see of the road? (Yeah, I know, I need to adjust my headlight up.)

·
Registered
150 Posts
ShadesOfGray said:
That looks like a neat mod. Is it a big improvement over just having the headlight there, as far as what you can see of the road? (Yeah, I know, I need to adjust my headlight up.)
Definitely a big improvement over just the headlight. I originally adjusted my stock headlight up, that made a big difference at night. Then I installed a SilverStar bulb, that was a little improvement, I guess I was hoping for more. The additional driving light really lights up the pavement in front of the bike, which will allow me to aim the headlight a little higher. Now I won't feel like I am outrunning my light.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts