Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was scrolling throung some pictures I found on the net and was wondering If the front brakes off this 94-99 GPZ 500s would interchange to our bikes. Even the older GPZ seems to have two discs up front. I know this is the over-sea version of our bike but is this a possible swap over/ upgrade for our less than perfect front single disc??

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
They would but you'd need the left fork and the Master Cyl and of course the Brake line. and the wheel and second disc. Not worth it.

FOG

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I haven't tried it w/ my rusty skills & winter set in, but... will the stock front brake have enough power to lock the front wheel/stock tires (not that doing so is desireable)?

Is that true with both models?

If it will & has controllable modulation it seems that a double disk front would add weight, complication, & expense for no real performance gain.

Maybe if the rider is large & doing max-stops from high speeds downhill in the desert... then double disks could have more fade resistance... yes? No?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Yes , they use them on the Autobhans so they can gain maximum stopping performance . But...the only cheap way to put one on an EX is find a complete GPZ front end on ebay .

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
I haven't tried it w/ my rusty skills & winter set in, but... will the stock front brake have enough power to lock the front wheel/stock tires (not that doing so is desireable)?
Oh yes. there's plenty of power up front to lock it, but you gotta use some force. steel braided lines help, as do harder biting pads and rotors, but it will lock. I've done it just a handful of times.

I know FOG says there's no benefit to dual disks on the EX, and from a performance perspective i tend to agree with him. I believe there is a gentalman who races at Louden who has set the fastest lap record on a single disked EX, but i'd like to know if he's ever tried a dual disk setup...

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
Knightslugger said:
MrSciTrek said:
Oh yes. there's plenty of power up front to lock it, but you gotta use some force. steel braided lines help, as do harder biting pads and rotors, but it will lock. I've done it just a handful of times.

I know FOG says there's no benefit to dual disks on the EX, and from a performance perspective i tend to agree with him. I believe there is a gentalman who races at Louden who has set the fastest lap record on a single disked EX, but i'd like to know if he's ever tried a dual disk setup...

That'ed be Jeff Wood and he never touched any damn brake at all.

FOG

·
Registered
440 Posts
I think that the disc diameter is smaller on the GPZ so there may not be any more stopping power with two of them in that configuration. Can anybody with a GPZ measure the disc diameter?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know about you guys but I'm 180 lbs. and I couldn't lock the front plus they do fade allot under hard braking. I just happened across the pics and couldn't resist running the topic across the board.

I heard somewhere that the single disc setup tends to pull and stress the forks?

S

·
0 Posts
If you are doing a lot of aggressive riding, or at least enough to experience excessive brake fade, maybe it's time to think about upgrading to some HH or Sintered brake pads.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since a single disc can lock up the wheel without too much effort, then anything more is a waste. Once the wheel has stopped spinning, additional braking power can't be used.

Now if you are experiencing brake fade caused by pad wear/glazing, or the fluid is boiling, then- well you're riding it too hard, not using the engine as a brake, or in a situation where you shouldn't be anyways. :) A dual disc setup can help in those extreme braking situations where you experience this sort of brake fading.

The costs involved would be high though since all the parts are in Europe. Not sure it's worth it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mad Matt said:
I think that the disc diameter is smaller on the GPZ so there may not be any more stopping power with two of them in that configuration. Can anybody with a GPZ measure the disc diameter?
The gpz disc diameter is 280mm, just now measured to make sure ( I have the double discs, but a drum brake at the back :/) :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
yepyep :D
couldn't find any better pics, but I think these are ok 8)
(if someone wants pix from details, I can take them but I have a gps software on my cameras memorycard for a little while so...)

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
199 Posts
idk - I probably wouldn't do it -- if you want better braking i'd get an EBC rotor - they're pretty tight. But duals would be too much unless you're trying to be a stunna and do endos.

but then again wtf do I know :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
went with some better pads for now and much better! Oh and a stoppie is fun. Just make sure the guy behind you knows whats up!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts