Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Downshifting became instantly inop today....requiring lifting the shift lever prior to downshifting....my suspicions were confirmed upon return home....a broken shift shaft return spring (frankly, I knew it immediately)

Will order Tuesday and use the VFR in the interim.

@21 years, 30,000 miles...my first actual part failure during a ride. Rode home...didn't even strand me!

Easy (?) fix....good for another 30K!

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
Ducati's seem to outperform BMW and HD on reliability. Hopefully with the VW/Audi ownership of Ducati they will or have improved the parts situation.

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
though Ducati suffers from a long standing bad rep on reliability

I can't comment on the newest models...but the old Supersports and Monsters were/are reliable PROVIDED the owner kept up on the _unique to Ducati_ belts and valves.

However, they did suffer from charging system failures...as many other brands of the period.

My particular experience with my 900SS has been nothing short of stellar. Incredible reliability, I routinely stretch it to its performance limits too. It takes a whoopin'.

I repeat...fun factor 11, sticks like glue, light, responsive....a KEEPER!

Member Kate and I did breakfast outdoors here today....perfect parking, eh?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
This is why I've never bought a Ducati; those unreliable return springs :grin2:
That looks like a good breakfast joint. Ah, the life of the idle rich...

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Haha.....wow. The title made me stop.

I think you have done well with that machine over the years. Helluva track record if you ask me.

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed super reliable, can't seriously complain. The holiday now past, I've got to see if I can find the damn thing by part # from a dealer.

Various Hon, Zuk, Kwak, Aha equivalent springs are all under $4.

Factory Pro offers a "lighter than stock" version...$35 plus $15 shipping. Right.
No doubt they've stumbled on a usable spring from one of the aforementioned vendors, seizing the opportunity....I'll go shopping this week.

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ducati's version all of $6...shipping UPS today from a dealer in northern Massachusetts, could see as early as Wednesday.

Quite acceptable price and service.

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the $6, broke in 2 piece culprit right here. A LOT of labor to get to, replace and adjust.

Forced me to do some extra..reseal the LH crank cover in a few spots. Purchased new gasket, flywheel holding tool, nut torqued to 138 lb/ft.

While waiting for stuff...tore my (dry) clutch down, cleaned, blasted. Haven't touched it in years.

Used engine cleaner, bristle brushes...its been too long since engine cleaned.

Anyways, verdict? Shifting fine, no annoying minor leaks, clutch smooth again, engine clean again!

DONE. About to roll 30K.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
I am so getting this for my garage!

Reactions: ducatiman

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Oh.....and this one too [insert evil laugh]

·
Super Moderator
6,023 Posts
Kawasaki lets the good times roll. :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Deferring to 00 a response to ^

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Kawasaki lets the good times roll. :wink2:
Deferring to 00 a response to ^

No doubt Kawi's let the good times roll is a great marketing slogan. And my Ninja will always have a spot in my memories as it is a fantastic all around motorcycle. All of Kawi's bike's are well thought out machines as we all know.

But there is just something about a Ducati though :wink2:

Reactions: chindian88

·
Super Moderator
6,023 Posts
Yeah, I get it

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Duc got me again this year... a failed Dyna coil diagnosed after some blubbering on decel (at certain RPM) and stuttering on acceleration (certain RPM). Coincidentally, I was testing a spare set of Mikuni's at the time of ocurrance....I initially chased a non-existent carb problem. But the numbers do not lie...1 coil tested perfect to specs, the other secondary resistance value 2x over spec!

Can't complain..I upgraded to Dynas' maybe 15 years ago? They paid their dues.

Already ordered ...here in a couple days. Till then, the key still fits the VFR ignition.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Not bad for a 22-year-old superbike...
Beautiful bike, by the way.

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^ ty JM. Contrary to popular folklore, its always been super reliable. I'm tolerant...cognizant that, at its age and mileage (33,000 and counting), stuff is gonna happen on occasion.

Its always been a looker..I routinely get curious folks asking or commenting about it.

A (non-enthusiast) young lady, when I pulled into a parking place, turn key off..."what the hell IS that thing?" (meant in a complimentary sense)

Billy Joel..."there's just SOMETHING about those Ducati's" (not a fib, he actually said that to me, I've met him a number of times)

Jerry Seinfeld.....a wave and thumbs up in traffic, he in his very special (and instantly recognizable) ex-race Porsche in Southampton a few years ago (again, not a fib)

No, not the fastest thing on 2 wheels...but a fun keeper for certain. Superb road manners. I'll seize the opportunity to post a pic, yet again.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 73 Posts