Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[/color]

DYNO RUNS

OK just thought I should start this. I was wondering if any one has put the ex on the dyno. if so post it up. lets see who's ex is the 8)baddest 8)?

HP?
TOURK?
RPM's?
0-60?
TOP-SPEED?
ECT?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
ah crap, you would say that, my stuff is ceiling deep in a storage unit since i got back from Afghanistan,
I have done 100's of dyno runs, with stock in the low 50's to my Superbike motor that avg 75hp in runs but hit a high of 81hp once when everything was right and fresh...it was a bored and stroked to 650cc's though...I doubt you could get much more without nitrous or a turbo with high boost....

for a full rundown of that motor see my post in this thread:

http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,1156.0.html

Anybody beat that?

(I assume some drag bike somewere has?)

for partial proof right now I offer my top 10 tag from '93, and my expert LtWt Superbike and LtWt Supertwins Regional Championship wins against 80hp Superbike FZR-400's, 650 Hawks and 750 Ducati's at power tracks like Moroso, Daytona and Rd Atlanta...

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
While looking for my race pics a few weeks back i did fine 1 old dyno run taken about 1/2 way thru my build stuck in with the pics, its shows a peak of 63hp and a theoretical top speed of 135mph....this was before the strokeing and cams and 37mm smooth bore carbs, but after the big bore kit maybe....(8mm over pistons) and pipe and header...one runs a 4th gear roll on and the other is a 6 gear run...Terrel/Nakada Motorsports built my EX, that's tuner/fabricator "Chip" Terrell, a ex-champion WERA racer and "Sam" Hasaya Nikada, a 250GP rider and tuner...the bluegraph, the 4th gear roll on shows how wide a built twins power band is, a real advantage when rolling on the power past mid-corner, my brothers superbike FZR-400 had nothing below 10,000rpm (damn thing shifted at 17,000!)

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that is pretty fast for a ex. 135 I am not spending all my ones on performance parts, on this bike. I am only getting a sprocket an chain for shore. I kinda want to get a bigger bike. but we will see. i might get a better exhaust, an jet kit.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
dragknee said:
yeah, he's a Doctor on the show Scrubs I think.....he marries Carla....

·
Registered
267 Posts
Torque; you mean that piece of shi!t movie?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
So before this turns into a bad movie thread, anybody else have any dyno runs or am i the only one?

And the Winner is......?

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
FOG has done plenty. Our race class demanded Box stock , no internal engine mods. So getting even a 1 hp advantage was worth some work. I was able to get the best one of my race engines to produce 53.9 hp. BTW that's with stock jetting even though jetting changes were OK.

If that much seems good to you I can tell you how. but PM

FOG

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Yeah, I raced CCS Supersport my 1st season but then had the itch to win in my other classes, ie, LtWtSuperbike and LtWtTwins and Sportsman and all those allow major mods...and 4 classes is too many to run anyway $ wise so I dropped Supersport..

53.9hp is at least 2.2hp over stock, (stock '87 on the Kerker dyno, pumped out 51.76hp)

that's about a 4.5% increase, sweet...that helps alot in a Supersport type class...

My Superbike motor when at 63hp was 22% over stock and at 81hp was about 60% more horsey's then stock......it was quite the beast.....it was nice to have a EX pull away from Hawks, FZR's and Ducati's finally.....(at the short and med tracks, the Ducati's said "Byebye" at Daytona...)
but the amount of money and parts put into that motor was long and painful.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Actually, anybody good at this kind of math?

How many cc's do you get with a EX with 8mm over pistons and 1.5mm stroked rods?

I had figured 649cc at one time but can't remember if i was rounding off low to make a class cc limit...

Streching the rods 1.5mm increases the total stroke length 3mm, right?

Stock bore and stroke is 74mm x 58mm.....

Go!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
My old EX at 646cc (destroked 1mm [Falicon billet crank] - overbored 11mm) put out 75 horses without any major tuning. We geared it pretty high and it could stay in the draft nicely behind a 996 and an RC51 at Texas World. Mathematical top speed with the gearing we had was 156 mph @ redline. The draft certainly helped, and some crude math showed us able to pull about 148 without over-rev.

I forget what we were getting for torque. Torque is largely a function of displacement though, and our CR was very high (13.5:1) so our torque numbers would have been on the high end of the range for a 650cc displacement.

·
Registered
40 Posts
wolf66 said:
Actually, anybody good at this kind of math?

How many cc's do you get with a EX with 8mm over pistons and 1.5mm stroked rods?

I had figured 649cc at one time but can't remember if i was rounding off low to make a class cc limit...

Streching the rods 1.5mm increases the total stroke length 3mm, right?

Stock bore and stroke is 74mm x 58mm.....

Go!!!
\

Pi*R2*H is the formula for displacement of a cylinder. Multiply by two and you'll get total engine displacement.

Stretching the rods does NOTHING to the stroke length. That's determined by the stroke of the crank. If you stretch the rods 3mm, you'll have pistons contacting the head VERY hard unless you raise the cyls/head at least 2.8mm. This means using a longer cam chain and worrying about additional gaskets. Not worth it for zero gain.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
We had a spacer plate, of course you have to have one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts