Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: easy fuel filter ALTERNATIVE ?????

toastywaffles said:
score, just ordered mine from the dealer. Same price here in Toronto, so can't complain.
Hey Toastywaffles...what dealer? I'm in T.O. as well. Stuck in the middle of 3 dealers SnowCity, Kahuna and ATC....which one do you use?

·
Registered
408 Posts

lss122 said:
toastywaffles said:
score, just ordered mine from the dealer. Same price here in Toronto, so can't complain.
Hey Toastywaffles...what dealer? I'm in T.O. as well. Stuck in the middle of 3 dealers SnowCity, Kahuna and ATC....which one do you use?
Kahuna, they're much closer. They said they should have it in by Monday...

lol, they're going to wonder wtf is up with all these fuel filter orders! ;D

·
Registered
174 Posts

Just got off the phone with Kahuna!!! ORDERED!! Should be in Monday or Tuesday

·
Registered
2,145 Posts

wow ducatiman i think you struck gold with this one!

all thanks to MY bike LOL ;D

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

cool...

·
Registered
11,741 Posts

OK. I finally got my tank back from the painter and last night I installed the new filter.

It had to be tapped in with a socket extension. In my pics I DID NOT have it seated all the way in.
It does go all the way in with a tap. The carbs DO NOT have to be removed to make this conversion.

I like this way better than the inline filter I had. There is way more flexibility with the stock length hose.

Also, I started out with very little fuel last night and usually it normally wouldn't be enough for the bike to run because of the added fuel line height with the old added inline fuel filter, but I made it to the gas station and put 3.5 gallons of fuel in.

This is a great way of filtering the fuel. I am way grateful to ducatiman for this modification.

It works like a champ!!

·
Super Moderator
14,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

just a word of warning to others doing this.....do not crack the T fitting when inserting the screen...

easy does it, especially the tapping process.

this note added 5 years later.....yes, Florida, i'm glad you taught me everything I know about motorcycles ::)

P

·
0 Posts
Tapping it in? You mean literally just tapping it softly to get it to fit snugly?

·
Super Moderator
14,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
^ yes, softly being the operative word here. Brooklyns ZZX required pliers to remove and persuasion to seat during reinstallation (after we examined it, and lightly, carefully blowing out with compressed air)

the slight interference fit insures fuel or dirt is not bypassing the filter, 100% filtration ;)

P

·
0 Posts
Ahh ok. For a second I thought the filter "screwed" in and he actually tapped his carb nipple.

·
Super Moderator
14,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
gotta tell ya, for $4 and no cutting, routing, screwing around with hoses, this thing IS a home run.

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
Its tapered a bit under the top ring. I didn't realize this last week when I first took the pics. My initial thought was that it wouldn't work. But when I actually installed it on my 92 I tried a socket extension and used the flat end and gave it a light ride with a pair of pliers tapping on it with finesse until she hit home. Not like I had to hit it with a hammer or anything. You can't be afraid of it yet you can't bash the hell out of it either.

I am convinced that it fits just as it does on the zzr which is what it was made for. Its a flawless application.

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
I wouldn't expect everyone to jump and run out and do it if they are already happy with their setup but for people that have no filter at all or the people that are having trouble with the line routing on theirs, this would be the top choice.

·
Super Moderator
14,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
any feedback from others on this? ISS and Toasty, how'd you make out?

R

·
0 Posts
I'm putting out a call here to anyone whose local dealer can get this. I need one and my local dealer is out as is the online places. If anyone can get this for me and ship it, I will reimburse you through paypal! Please help!

·
Registered
408 Posts
ducatiman said:
any feedback from others on this? ISS and Toasty, how'd you make out?
awesome. I owe you a beer if we ever meet :D

And yes, it does have to be 'tapped' in since it fits snug. I've put about 1000km on it since and not a single problem. Can go WOT, low fuel level... i havn't taken it into reserve since i'm paranoid about running out of gas but overall this is IMHO the best, easiest and cheapest way of adding a fuel filter.

Why the f kawasaki didn't do this from the go-go we will never know, but ya, ducatiman, you are the MAN!

edit: If people are having a hard time getting a hold of one I'll try my dealer and see how many I can order. These things will easily fit in regular mail envelopes/postage. Florida, lemme know if you're having problems and I'll see what I can find on my end.

21 - 40 of 215 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.