Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I love this new fuel filter, the only reservation I have about it is it's small size and how easily/long till it might get clogged, verses the in-line ons we are using now.

·
Registered
630 Posts
One of the very clear recommendations on the Triumph Trophy group is to go in and REMOVE these very same filters from the fuel lines. Apparently they are easily clogged and (at least on the Trophy) a real PITA to access and clean. If you have a lot of rust/scae/debris in your tank I would probably opt for a larger filter with more surface area. My $.02.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
onetworide said:
One of the very clear recommendations on the Triumph Trophy group is to go in and REMOVE these very same filters from the fuel lines. Apparently they are easily clogged and (at least on the Trophy) a real PITA to access and clean. If you have a lot of rust/scae/debris in your tank I would probably opt for a larger filter with more surface area. My $.02.
that's what I was thinking small surface area for sure. On a newer bike, or one with a nice clean tank should not be an issue, but on an older bike with a questionable tank it might be the case. on a personal note did you get my PM onetworide?

·
Super Moderator
14,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
onetworide said:
Thats contradictory...and i think ill advised....IF REMOVED the very same crap thats being trapped by the filter is allowed to travel downstream further INTO the fuel system. To the Trophy group, I'd suggest SERVICING the filter often as needed, unless access prohibits (that gets into design flaw).

Agreed, as was pointed out earlier in this thread, a rustbucket tank would not be served well by this filter. A clean, otherwise normal EX fuel system would be the perfect application. I'd also advocate cleaning and inspection until a trend is established as I think access is fairly simple on the EX.

·
Registered
630 Posts
[/quote]

Thats contradictory...and i think ill advised....IF REMOVED the very same crap thats being trapped by the filter is allowed to travel downstream further INTO the fuel system. To the Trophy group, I'd suggest SERVICING the filter often as needed, unless access prohibits (that gets into design flaw).

[/quote]

I guess I should clarify- the recommendation was to remove the tiny inline filters and replace them with a larger, easier to service inline filter somewhere between tank and carbs. It should be pointed out that to access the filters on the Trophy it takes over an hour. Then to reassemble verything...well about two hours if you're lucky. That's the logic behind the recommendation for replacing them with something more easily and perhaps less frequently serviced.
Hope that clears it up from the Triumph end...the EX is much easier to get at, so maybe it's a better option there.

·
Super Moderator
14,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
thats makin sense, kurt. PS, you may have one on your Cagiva, same place inlet rail to carbs. You have Mikuni downdrafts on that?

·
Registered
630 Posts
ducatiman said:
thats makin sense, kurt. PS, you may have one on your Cagiva, same place inlet rail to carbs. You have Mikuni downdrafts on that?
It's fuel injected- I believe it's made by Weber-Marelli. I'll have to check for the filters, I believe you may be correct. I do hope they are easier to reach than on the Trophy. What a pain on that bike.
BTW, lovin' the Cagiva. FMF pipes and FI chip, it sounds great!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all, even with a dirty fuel system would it be a real problem with blocking? With the screens in the fuel tap there would only be a small amount getting to that filter so would only be a matter of checking and cleaning occasionaly.

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
In the troubleshooting section here we do not see very many problems of this nature unless either they have no filter at all or if they sharred a piece of rubber after the filter and it sticks a float or gets caught in a pilot jet. This concept completely solves that problem. I have no problem getting to mine nor did I have any problems installing it. It does hit the nail on the head. I'm very glad I did it because I was having issues with running out of gas long before I hit reserve. After long hours of trying to find a filter at the auto stores and ending up with a minor fuel delivery issue at low tank levels after following the wiki instructions, I am convinced this is the way to go. I have been using mine for over a month and have no running issues whatsoever. I would gladly jump on my ex and take it to california in a heartbeat. The part is just as good quality as any other part on the ex. It is just good enough just like the rest of the bike. I'm sorry we didn't know about this sooner.

·
Registered
138 Posts
this is good info in need a filter bad and dont think one has ever been installed. i have a 2006. where would i go about finding one of these bad boys local dealer??

·
Registered
408 Posts
bronx69kk said:
thanks. so im kind of new to messing with motor bikes. do i have to take the tank off to put this on?
I guess if you had small enough hands to remove the fuel line from underneath the carbs, then sure. Otherwise yes.

Check the wiki for more details but to remove the tank:
1. turn petcock off and disconnect hoses
2. unscrew front fairing from side mounts
3. remove seat
4. remove screws from front of the rear fairing
5. pull up and forwards.. you will have to move the fairings out of the way
6. pull carb fuel hose from in-line rail
7. stick da filter in da hole
8. reverse

·
Registered
408 Posts
rhoderage said:
hey toastywaffles what did the filter cost you from your local dealer ?

just wondering what it costs in Canada v US
$3.84 plus tax but I gave them a $5 and he gave me a loonie back (dear the rest of the world, we name our $1 coins after birds cauz that's how we roll)
so really $4
(my local kawi shop are a bunch of d#^ks but the parts department people are nice... probably because they appreciate when people come in knowing what they want with product codes in hand... it did take a while for them to get it in though since they had to order it)

p.s. the filter in the 250's is a slightly different sku# 49019-1097 and are MSRP$3 more on Ronayers

·
Registered
380 Posts
Just so everyone knows, these parts are on backorder in Japan, so NO dealers can get them unless they have it on the shelf.

I ordered from Ronayers and its scheduled to ship out on July 5th.

FYI.

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
That's correct. I called kawasaki yesterday and they said they are discontinuing that part because too many ex500 owners are buying them at an incredible rate, then the other guy I talked to said that they don't work anyway. JK

41 - 60 of 215 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.