Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
installing the filter on the bike is tricky, you do have to support the plastic rail when seating the filter into it. It will press in almost all the way by hand then you may need to drive it all the way home with something, I used a socket extension. As long as you support the rail from underneath somehow as you press the filter in, it should be fine. The fitting you pulled out of the petcock just presses back in. Its normal to accidentally pull the whole thing out, they all do that if enough pressure is put on them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thnx FLA, I see your point. If I don't feel I have enough room to work, I'll do it when I have the carbs off.

I'd had the tank off this bike at least once before, so was a little startled when the brass barb came off - just an interference fit.... hey, it's only the most flammable substance that consumers routinely encounter ! ::)

I'm a little more used to working on (older) cars - vac or gas lines are usually pretty easy for me to remove. Probably some useful chemical has now been regulated out of the fuel lines, so they now stick like crazy.... I was firstly concerned with having to twist the c*ap out of the fuel line to remove it from the rail fitting.....

Murph is always lurking, waiting to prevent me from getting back to riding !

Rgds, D.

·
Super Moderator
14,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
I've done the filter install with carbs intact a few times. Skinny hands (i have) and extra long needlenose are helpful.

Light, careful tapping of the filter into the rail is called for. Massive, neanderthal hammer blows will reap disaster, guaranteed.

Its really quite easy, simple and fits.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thnx Duc, that makes good sense.

People seem to be getting good service life out of this "new" OE sock; I'm thinking sock removal would be best done with the carbs out.

Once I get this installed, I'll add Service - Carb Removal to my over-the-winter list....

Rgds, D.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Last chance before I install mine this year: Has anyone put a ton of miles on this and found a problem yet?

Also, my bike is a bit of a rust bucket, not sure how the tank looks inside and I'm worried that might give me problems with the filter. Did anyone else install this on their rust bucket? Issues?

Side question: I didn't see any sticky for cleaning out a gas tank (pretty sure the previous owner of mine left that **** sitting for a long time). Any threads/existing guides I should know about? Things to be careful of or avoid?

·
Super Moderator
14,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
CookieMaker said:
Last chance before I install mine this year: Has anyone put a ton of miles on this and found a problem yet?

Also, my bike is a bit of a rust bucket, not sure how the tank looks inside and I'm worried that might give me problems with the filter. Did anyone else install this on their rust bucket? Issues?

Side question: I didn't see any sticky for cleaning out a gas tank (pretty sure the previous owner of mine left that **** sitting for a long time). Any threads/existing guides I should know about? Things to be careful of or avoid?
OK, cookiemonster......a POR 15 treatment will permanently end rust problems inside your EX tank. a thread here

http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,27911.msg412807.html#msg412807

zero problems have been reported with the Kaw rail filter, it is supplied OEM on many models.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi Cookiemaker,

The way I look at it, if you end up plugging up a filter, it is less work to change than rebuilding a carb.

I'm no expert on re-habbing tanks, but you might want to post for the brain-trust what the contamination is (ex. rust, or varnish deposits, sludge).

Heavy rust or sludge - I'd want to pull the tank and get as much rinsed out as possible, to prevent moving that downstream.

Seafoam has a pretty good rep for dealing with light/moderate amounts of varnish - nothing is guaranteed though, by me or them !

Best luck, D.

·
Registered
77 Posts
dave1499 said:
Hi Cookiemaker,

The way I look at it, if you end up plugging up a filter, it is less work to change than rebuilding a carb.

I'm no expert on re-habbing tanks, but you might want to post for the brain-trust what the contamination is (ex. rust, or varnish deposits, sludge).

Heavy rust or sludge - I'd want to pull the tank and get as much rinsed out as possible, to prevent moving that downstream.

Seafoam has a pretty good rep for dealing with light/moderate amounts of varnish - nothing is guaranteed though, by me or them !

Best luck, D.
ducatiman said:
CookieMaker said:

OK, cookiemonster......a POR 15 treatment will permanently end rust problems inside your EX tank. a thread here

http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,27911.msg412807.html#msg412807

zero problems have been reported with the Kaw rail filter, it is supplied OEM on many models.
Thanks guys! Should be good to go from here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So I put this filter in today, but instead of putting it into the carb nipple, I slipped it into the nipple on the petcock (which it also fit perfectly, without taking the tank off!) I understand that the filter has a "point", but being just a simple 2-screen setup my assumption (and that of my bike mechanic) is that it realistically shouldn't make a difference which direction it screens from. Anyone have any logical arguments against this? Because if not, this could save people the hassle of taking the tank off....

I ran it all day, didn't notice any differences whatsoever.

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
CookieMaker said:
So I put this filter in today, but instead of putting it into the carb nipple, I slipped it into the nipple on the petcock (which it also fit perfectly, without taking the tank off!) I understand that the filter has a "point", but being just a simple 2-screen setup my assumption (and that of my bike mechanic) is that it realistically shouldn't make a difference which direction it screens from. Anyone have any logical arguments against this? Because if not, this could save people the hassle of taking the tank off....

I ran it all day, didn't notice any differences whatsoever.
I disconected the hose at the petcock and pushed the filter through it with a 12" zip tie, this will catch all the small pieces of rubber that come off the inside of the hose as it ages and crcks.

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
If you put the filter in the bottom of the petcock, then Every time you remove the fuel line you are working after the filter so that defeats the purpose, it belongs in the carb fuel rail, this way its filtering anything that gets to that point. That was the whole point to this mod.

Don't ever be too lazy to take the tank off and do the mod right, that's lame.

·
Super Moderator
14,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #152 (Edited)
^ also why the factory put it in rail to begin with.....the final catch at the carb fuel entry point

Older carbed VFR, Magnas had individual screens at needle and seat entry point of all 4 carbs. The factory was thinking ahead....those carbs were an absolute monster to R & R (remove and replace). They come in their carb kits, i believe, still got the old ones in my carb box....i'll snap a pic someday.

Even the '38 BMW I'm currently working on has a screen in the banjo bolt fitting right at the fuel entry point of the carb (singular)

·
Registered
77 Posts
FloridaEX500 said:
If you put the filter in the bottom of the petcock, then Every time you remove the fuel line you are working after the filter so that defeats the purpose, it belongs in the carb fuel rail, this way its filtering anything that gets to that point. That was the whole point to this mod.

Don't ever be too lazy to take the tank off and do the mod right, that's lame.
Yup, that was one of the negatives I could think of, that every time I took the fuel line off I was bypassing the filter. The other is that when I took the fuel line off, the filter had more potential to slip out with it. I'm cleaning the carbs as soon as my carb kits arrive anyways, going to set it up right when I do.

And Florida, whoever said trying to make a process more efficient was lazy? Just seeing if an already-great mod could be improved. :D

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
I think it is great the people are trying new things and testing the established theory. But I agree with Florida on this one. IMHO the "stock" location is best for this filter. :)

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
If there was a better way ductiman would have already thought of it, believe me.

And my lazy comment comes from well people that are too lazy to pull their tanks and carbs. All most of the people here want to do is have someone tell them what's wrong without making any efforts on their own to look.

I'm gonna lay low for awhile apparently nobody here gives a flying crap about what I have to say.

·
Super Moderator
14,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
order the filter, put in the tank bag.....

that way if someone asks if you've got a fuel filter on your EX you can answer "yup"

ADDED BENEFIT....you don't even have to pull the tank

if there's a better way, choose yours and post it up

·
Registered
77 Posts
FloridaEX500 said:
If there was a better way ductiman would have already thought of it, believe me.

And my lazy comment comes from well people that are too lazy to pull their tanks and carbs. All most of the people here want to do is have someone tell them what's wrong without making any efforts on their own to look.

I'm gonna lay low for awhile apparently nobody here gives a flying crap about what I have to say.
ducatiman said:
order the filter, put in the tank bag.....

that way if someone asks if you've got a fuel filter on your EX you can answer "yup"

ADDED BENEFIT....you don't even have to pull the tank

if there's a better way, choose yours and post it up
LOL. YOU guys are the best.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Apex_4 said:
isnt this the same filter found in the tank reserve "straws"?
smart idea:)
The fuel filter in the carb rail will catch little shards of fuel hose for example. Every time you remove your tank and pull off the fuel hose there is a chance of getting bits of rubber down the hose and into your cards.

The filter will also catch other debris that wasn't caught in the petcock screen.

This fuel filter was standard on the ZZR600 which also had the same carbs as our EX.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App[/color]

141 - 160 of 215 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.