Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

easy fuel filter ALTERNATIVE....YES!

93K views 212 replies 47 participants last post by  ducatiman 
#1 ·
I came upon an inline nylon (very fine) mesh filter which plugs into the carb inlet rail fitting. It costs all of $2.94 (currently) $5.93 from revzilla.com is part # 49019-1085 .

Using this DOES offer an alternative to an inline filter, performs identical function, its OEM, tiny, cheap, doesn't require any cutting, routing of lines, etc. Just remove fuel line at carb, plug it in to carb inlet rail, reinstall line. Requires a periodic inspection for debris and cleaning if needed. Many users over many years have reported ZERO problems.

Its all thats needed, provided you're not expecting boulders, birds, construction debris, pets or small children through the existing petcock screens. :surprise:
Right at fuels' point of entry at the carb rail, precisely where Kawasaki intended its use. :wink2:

Some research revealed a SUZUKI part number for the same exact Kaw "alternative" filter.

SUZUKI P/N 13236-26D00 note Suzuki wants about $16 for their version
KAWASAKI P/N 49019-1085 is $2.94 list (add shipping)

Carb pic shows filter fully inserted into rail (white ring)

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: javieruria40
G
#80 ·
The parts dude at the local powersports place had no idea what a ZZR600 was. He asked his manager and his manager just said "oh it's a ZR6." I didn't feel like arguing, but regardless he couldn't even find a 2005 ZZR600 listed in their parts ordering database. I thought they were being retarded but reading the wiki shows that the designation is actually ZX600E, so anyone that's trying to order these should keep that in mind.

Anyways, finally ordering some of these.

#81 ·
i found it on RonAyers.com under this model, it DOES exist

2005 ZZR600 (ZX600-J4)

FILTER-FUEL
49019-1085 $5.32

providing part # should simply remove any/all confusion.

and they've raised the price........ now $5.32

#84 ·
tank off, long needle nose pliers from vertical , squeeze clamp simultaneously pull fuel hose off. Insert filter, tap it in using a long dowel or socket extension. Reattach hose. i know its a tight squeeze, small hands help.

I don't own an EX, but frequently work on them. I strongly encourage adding the filter and doing the other mods in one shot when carbs are removed for cleaning and tweaking. Finish with a synch. Really transforms performance.

#85 ·
The only problem with this filter, at least in my experience, is that the tip of it is just slightly larger than the opening of the fuel inlet. You have to slightly deform the end of the filter to get it started in, but after that it goes in rather smoothly. I just pulled my filter out that's been in there 4-5 months, and the supports that hold the mesh up on either side had collapsed inwards like )(. Not sure if that was the result of my initial installation or what, but when I put my spare filter in with the carbs on the workbench, I could verify that this one kept its form once inside. I guess I'll be pulling this one out in a few months to see how it's holding up.

#86 ·
fact that is bulging doesn't matter, regardless fuel must still pass through screen. I notice my Ducati filter (which has Mikuni downdrafts and a similar filter supplied OEM) also bulges.

As long as the "sack" or seam is not broken or ripped (allowing fuel to bypass), you're good to go.

Agreed, good to check 2x per year or whenever carbs are out and on the bench for any reason.

Edited to add....relieving the spine corners on the end which is inserted, a few swipes on sandpaper on each side, just smoothing the square corners semi-round...allows easy insertion without deforming the filter inside the rail.

#87 ·
ducatiman said:
fact that is bulging doesn't matter, regardless fuel must still pass through screen. I notice my Ducati filter (which has Mikuni downdrafts and a similar filter supplied OEM) also bulges.

As long as the "sack" or seam is not broken or ripped (allowing fuel to bypass), you're good to go.
Yeah I didn't notice any fuel flow problems. The only thing that's really going to happen is it'll clog up faster if something gets down in it, as the lower part had collapsed in on itself and no longer provided any surface area to filter with.

#88 ·
I live North of the GTA in Ontario, Canada and I'm having a tough time finding Kawasaki dealers near me (after doing a google search). Is a dealer the only place I can pick up this fuel line filter? It looks a lot easier than cutting into the fuel line like the other tutorial shows. Any suggestions?

#91 ·
UPDATE: Kahuna Powersports on Steeles (near 400 and 407) had 3 in stock (I bought one) for about $4. Warp9 in Orangeville can order them in for $5-something, but you need to wait until they are making an order. That's for the ZZR600 filter.

For the Suzuki filter, Suzuki in Brampton can order them in for about $12.

#93 ·
Rang my Suzuki dealer (closer then the Kwak dealer) to try and get one of the fuel filters and they said it would be about £9.10!! (About $15 to you Americano's)

I'm gonna ring my Kwak dealer tomorrow and see how much they're gonna charge me!
Anymore than £5 and I'll look online!
Unless anyone knows a website that will deliever them to the UK with free delievery or works out cheap as chips?

#95 ·
I tried the Suzuki dealer first just because it was closer :p
Gonna ring the Kwak dealer tomorrow and see what they say.. I wonder why there is such a price difference ???

G
#96 ·
I went ahead and installed this today. Pretty simple.

The filter has a lower and upper ridge/lip. You have to tap it in with something (ratchet extension is what I used) so that it goes in snug to the upper lip. It won't go past that since it's a perfect fit and the upper lip prevents it from being swallowed by the inlet.

It looks like it deforms when you put it in, but I took a picture to show that it pretty much conforms to its original shape once it's in.

Bike runs fine so far.

Attachments

#101 ·
I removed fuel line from tank, slid filter into fuel line and pushed it all the way down with a long zip-tie. I am going to remove it and check it at the end of July to see what is in it. No noticeable difference in the way it runs. I have been running bike into the reserve on purpose, that is something I rarely did before. I will post a picture of what I find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.