Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Interesting. So does this just bolt on where the old rotor used to go with no modifications needed from stock?
What are the advantages/disadvantages of EBC rotors over stock (other than the obvious price difference)?

EDIT: My mistake, the lower price was for the rear rotor

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
They work fantastic (with HH sinterd pads) and don't warp because they are full floaters.

FOG

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mulcibre said:
http://www.ronayers.com/catalogs/pu/parts.cfm?topsecid=1&subsecid=2&secid=42&type=309&startrow=298

should be ninja 500r front right rotor, 140-ish dollars.

I believe it's a floating rotor?
Part number listed there is for solid rotor...Below is direct from the EBC catalog

EX 500 A1-A7 Solid rotor 87-93 MD4016LS
EX 500 A1-A7 EBC floating conversion 87-93 MD714LD
EX 500 D1-D12/D6F “Ninja 500” Solid rotor 94-06 MD4016RS
EX 500 D1-D12/D6F “Ninja 500” EBC floating conversion 94-06 MD714RD

EBC says:

EBC RACE ROTOR PROGRAM - FRONT
NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE
• Low carbon BILLET steel rotors unique to EBC.
• Lightweight alloy hubs anodised blue as opposite
• Removable/rebuildable with alloy drive buttons (NOT SUITABLE FOR ROAD USE)
• Complete with spare set of high tolerance buttons (to change when rotor tightens up)
• Outer cooling groove on rotor ring
EBC Pro-lite race rotors are the best value bolt on race brakes you can buy. NOT iron to
avoid shattering but in tough low carbon STEEL to provide maximum safety AND high friction, plus
less shrinkage than iron or stainless.
PADS TO USE - EBC Sintered GFA HH pads. Please call 1 425 485 7610 for details.

So its no problem that they are for off road use?

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
They rattle and rust.

FOG

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'd also be interested in the lifetime of these rotors, I can't imagine it would be too different than stock? I wouldn't think rust would be a big problem, except for winter storage. Car rotors rust pretty readily in any kind of damp weather, and the rattling could be addressed by putting small bits of brake lube on the moving parts of the floating rotor? (not the braking surface, duh...)

I've been interested in this for a while, as I do a lot of highway miles around Los Angeles, and may need to do repeated 80-0mph stops in rapid succession.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts