Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello all,

Its time to change my disks on the front, and I was wondering what to choose.

My preference goes to EBC but there is a lot of choice on eBay, I was wondering which one to get?

So what is the best alternative then? Thank you!

My use of the bike is track day.

G

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I've run an expensive brand new EBC rotor before. It was a standard rigid rotor, not the floating type. What I have to say is that it is absolutely nothing special. A waste of money really. A straight used rotor that isn't terribly worn will give the exact same braking performance at a fraction of the cost. Save your money for getting quality pads.

Far as floating rotors go, they will technically provide better braking and there's all sorts of science and reasons behind it. In practical average street riding though, I doubt you'll ever take advantage of the benefit of a floating rotor. In my 150,000 miles of riding my EX, I have never warped a rotor. It's not impossible, I have a few warped rotors from part outs in my collection, but chances are you won't. Seeing as the primary benefit of converting to a floating rotor is to avoid warping, I'd recommend not bothering. That is just my opinion. There are others here who would recommend otherwise and there is nothing wrong with listening to the knowledge, opinion and experience of others and taking the route you find best for yourself and your machine.

FYI, gen1 and gen2 rotos look slightly different, gen1 having kind of directional holes while gen2 has unidirectional holes, but have identical dimensions where it matters and are functionally the same. When I swapped to gen2 suspension on my gen1, I kept the gen1 rotor and flipped it to the opposite side as the two generations have the front brake on opposite sides. The holes in the rotor are now technically facing backwards, but I have never had problems with braking on this setup. Also, I think the gen1 rotor looks cooler than the gen2.

Lastly, if you're interested, I can sell you a good, straight rotor for 5 bucks plus shipping. I'll bolt it down to a wheel and spin it to check it to make sure it is true.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
EBC HH pads (metallic type) will give you improved and more consistent braking if you are using lesser quality pads. They are less grabby initially but will give you a more linear feal and feedback enabling increased braking forces to be used with practice, due to the more informative feedback at the lever. They also last longer. Another thing to consider is the use of steel braided brake lines. They don't expand with pressure so deliver better feedback allowing better braking. If you still have the original hoses on your 500 they probably need replacement anyway.

Thorough brake bleeding is incredibly important in a motorcycle for good braking. If your brake lever has a sponginess it's time to bleed the brakes and replace old rubber hoses. It should feel like it is moving freely then suddenly hitting a solid wall when pulling. There should be no intermediate sponginess which is a sign of air in the system and expanding rubber hoses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts