Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything about EBC brake pads as replacements for the original pad? Are they considered top shelf? Ninjamon

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
ninjamon said:
Anyone know anything about EBC brake pads as replacements for the original pad? Are they considered top shelf? Ninjamon
I use the EBC kevlar as replacement pads . Not sure if they are top of the line . But they are the best ones I know of . Much , much , better than the stock pads .

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Try the EBC HH sintered pads for the best stopping power.

FOG

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do the sintered pads put more wear/tear on the rotors?

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
More than what?
The wear is aceptable,

FOG

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I meant was more than the standard street pad, which I assume would be the kevlar one lucky13 was referring to. But I get your drift...they have more stopping power, but the rotors can handle it. Do you use sintered?

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Absolutlly

FOG

·
Registered
97 Posts
FOG said:
Absolutlly

FOG

Have you ever done any tests to see how much shorter the stoping distance is on the sintered pads compared to regular street pads, I'm going to need new pads in awhile and just wondered if there worth the money? Thanks in advance for the info.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Yes, On the race track, Trust me you will have a brake you'll love and never mind the numbers.

FOG

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
EBC HH pads are what I've been using and they work nice. They shouldn't cost much different than OEM, maybe even less. I've been using them on various bikes over about 10 years now. Long before you wear out the rotor you'll warp it if you're braking that hard. If not, the very minor difference in rotor wear won't matter anyway.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Here's some websites for these pads (+ MANY rotor designs), scroll down a bit for the sintered pads:
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/motorcycle.html

I'm not finding a good place to buy them.
Prices range from $30-45, but I'm not finding the ex500.
So... um, help.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
You guy's tickle the hell out of me. You'll willingly spend 300-400 on a stupid pipe to just make noise, or some others such gewgaws. Then Choke on the difference between 25 and 30 bucks for a vast improvement in your bikes capabilities. Unbelievable.

This is the reason I hang around here some (besides having nothing better to do) I try to point out these follies when I see them. and maybe save somebody some money. I really hat the dispensers of Crap, like Muzzy etc.

FOG

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
FOG's an retired engineer, he can't help being picky & peevish. ;)
I'm a science teacher... draw your own conclusions on that. ???

FOG might be refering to my post (below) where I was trying to find pads for ex500s on-line. The factory website listed a "Where to Buy" and all the ones I checked were for cars, non-Kawasakis, or did not list the ex-500.

Looking at it from FOG's perspective my post could look like pinching pennies for brakes. Combine that assumption w/ many member's fascination on expensive exhaust mods... which look different & make a different sound but not much power... and it fit's the old Brit phrase:
"Penny wise & Pound foolish." Which is bad thinking/logic... anti-engineer think.

Incidentally, my bike has stock exhaust & I am not changing it... not worth the $$ to me either.
When it's time to get pads... I will follow the advice of the thoughtful & experienced riders here, such as FOG, and I'll also search for the best price.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Well I didn't mean to start a controversy. I guess I didn't read the thread very well. Anyway the HH pads ARE the way to go re guardless of the cost.

FOG

·
Registered
722 Posts
hell I'd pay alot for brakes, as it is a safety component just a notch below my protective gear. I'd rather pay $75 for brakes that work well, than cheap out and possibly have to test my $700 gear.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If I was to replace the front brake pads with EBC HH sintered brake pads, would it be recommended to change the original rotors also?

I read somewhere that the iron rotors will wear more quickly with these pads.
Are we talking considerable difference from the stock pads?

If changing the rotors is recommended, what rotors are suggested?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts