Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19,245 Posts
Not to dissuade you from building such e devices, but :
Some thoughts on electric driver anything. In short efficiency . that is the power created in you e device seems prodigious but when you look at the power consumed to generate the electricity weather by wind coal or even water, plus the losses in transmission, the net power of your device comes out a negative number.
Batteries are a joke for transportation devices. the only thing that currently works is a hydrogen fuel cell. I'm not sure of the power required to create liquid Hydrogen. Maybe when nuclear fusion become a reality, or wireless transmission of E power is a fact (ala Tesler) .
As long as paying for power is fact, nobody is going to make much headway on creating a free power system.
I see all e transportation devices short of Public trans as a very expensive toy

FOG

·
Registered
363 Posts
What's really strange is when someone switches to EV, I would suppose their previous cost in petrol would be transferred to their electric bill. And end up costing more. So far, of five people I know who've traded in their petrol auto for EV, all have said their electric bill has gone up less...

I supposed with free charging at office and universities, the petrol cost was transferred elsewhere. Are there any studies out there on this switch for consumers?

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Are there any studies out there on this switch for consumers?
They're keeping it a secret. Once everyone is converted to electric, and we do away with gasoline, expect the cost of electricity to rise at a geometric rate. >:)
It's a scam I tell you. :surprise:

·
Registered
19,245 Posts
A scam it is. Just another way to expand government. Subsidize E **** to make it tempting then when all are hooked tighten the screw.
Check out the windmill situation. They doon’t Even pay for themselves

Fog

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
FWD cars understeer ("push") because they force the front tires to do he double work of dealing with both steering as well as acceleration forces. In the fastest conventional cars, rears drive, fronts steer - the best division of tasks. If you can make it work, you'll be a millionaire. The big 4 and others have researched this over the decades and exactly no one was able to make a go of it.

Back in the 60s, Rokon made a woods crawler called the "Trailblazer" with 2WD. Had a bunch of chains and sprockets. It went maybe 20MPH, but could climb over fallen trees.

·
Registered
363 Posts
They're keeping it a secret. Once everyone is converted to electric, and we do away with gasoline, expect the cost of electricity to rise at a geometric rate. >:)
It's a scam I tell you. :surprise:
A scam it is. Just another way to expand government. Subsidize E **** to make it tempting then when all are hooked tighten the screw.
Check out the windmill situation. They doon’t Even pay for themselves

Fog
Did an analysis comparing Ninja 250 mpg vs. Chevy Volt operating costs (not to mention purchase costs). Have to use some real-world examples here comparing actual usage and costs incurred.

Commute miles = 1000 miles/month
Ninja 250 MPG = 55 to 65 mpg, let’s average to 60mpg
Petrol = 3.71 to 3.89, average = 3.80 dollars/gal

1000 miles/month / 60 miles/gallon * 3.80 dollars/gallon = 63$/month in petrol
Or if I drive auto that gets 30mpg = 126$/month in petrol

Now let’s compare to using Chevy Volt.
2.7 miles/kWhr charge - https://www.valleychevy.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-charge-a-chevy-volt/
86.7% L1 charging efficiency - https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/2015-01-1152/

I currently use about 450kW/hrs per month at home. First 200kW/hr tier-1 costs $0.24, thereafter, tier-2 costs $0.32. My last month’s utility bill was ~200$ (includes gas). PG&E lies about temperatures, many many days in 90s last month with couple over 100-F.

So basically charging Volt @ home will cost me tier-2 $0.32/kWhr. This is reality of actual utility bills. My friend Nicole who uses Volt for commuting says she pays $0.28 tier-2 due to low-income subsidies (PG&E still gets their $0.32). That comes to:

1000 miles/month / 2.7 miles/kWhr = 370 kWhr/month
370 kWhr / 0.867 ChrgEff = 427 kWhr/month from wall (about same as my entire household usage)
427 kWhr * 0.32 $/kWhr = 137$/month (120$/m with gov. subsidy)

Or more than petrol auto getting 30mpg. If i buy used Prius hybrid that gets 50mpg, it’ll only cost me 76$/month to commute those same miles and Volt will never cost less to purchase or operate. I’ll stick with Ninja 250 for lowest operating costs and way faster commutes given Bay Area traffic.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Another thing that interests me is making EV specifically for racing. As @EX-500EV mentioned, his bike is about 40-lbs lighter than stock with VFR-700 levels of acceleration. I would like to have an even lighter bike by downsizing battery for just 25-mile range, just enough for one race or one session @ track day.

How light can we get bike then? 80-lbs lighter than stock? 100-lbs? That would make for amazing performance as braking and cornering would also be greatly enhanced!

Then make battery-pack easily removeable and swapped for one of many packs pre-charged in pits!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Another thing that interests me is making EV specifically for racing. As @EX-500EV mentioned, his bike is about 40-lbs lighter than stock with VFR-700 levels of acceleration. I would like to have an even lighter bike by downsizing battery for just 25-mile range, just enough for one race or one session @ track day.

How light can we get bike then? 80-lbs lighter than stock? 100-lbs? That would make for amazing performance as braking and cornering would also be greatly enhanced!

Then make battery-pack easily removeable and swapped for one of many packs pre-charged in pits!
Gear that thing up for the 1/4 mile.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts