Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Kawasaki GPZ 500S 1988
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,

So I was riding my bike at around 120kmh, and everything was runnin fine. But when I accelerated to around 140kmh, I suddenly lost power and it looked like my rpm shot way up, like close to redline. I pulled the clutch in and came to a stop at the side of the road, but now the engine won't start. When I press the start button, I hear the brike cranking, but it won't turn over.

Any idea what might be the cause of this?

EDIT:
Also if relevant I did refuel today morning and replaced oil a few days ago.

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,175 Posts
tank venting issue affecting fuel delivery? Open the fuel cap, give it a few minutes and try again.

·
Registered
Kawasaki GPZ 500S 1988
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tank venting issue affecting fuel delivery? Open the fuel cap, give it a few minutes and try again.
So to update, I just went out and tried to start the bike. It cranked for a bit, I revvd just a little and then I heard a loud clank from the engine. So I'm going to assume something inside the engine is broken.

·
Administrator
16,175 Posts
Total miles/km on bike? Any upgrades ever done to CCT or flywheel? Last known valve clearance check?

·
Registered
Kawasaki GPZ 500S 1988
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Total miles/km on bike? Any upgrades ever done to CCT or flywheel? Last known valve clearance check?
About 75k km on the bike. No upgrades to flywheel or CCT during the time I owned it. PO might've done something, but don't know. Valve clearance was last checked about a thousand kilometers ago by PO. It's a fairly old bike as well, 1988 model.

·
Administrator
16,175 Posts
About 75k km on the bike. No upgrades to flywheel or CCT during the time I owned it. PO might've done something, but don't know. Valve clearance was last checked about a thousand kilometers ago by PO. It's a fairly old bike as well, 1988 model.
Gen 1... no doubt will require some disassembly to sort it out. Visual flywheel/starter clutch inspection, eventual 2nd Gen CCT replacement (upgrade)both no brainers after your initial issue is sorted.
Oil level is now within sight of window (bike on center stand/level ground?

·
Registered
Kawasaki GPZ 500S 1988
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gen 1... no doubt will require some disassembly to sort it out. Visual flywheel/starter clutch inspection, eventual 2nd Gen CCT replacement (upgrade)both no brainers after your initial issue is sorted.
Oil level is now within sight of window (bike on center stand/level ground?
Oil level is good. When the bike died I checked oil (bike on center stand) ad it was about halfway up the window. Topped it off a little once I got back home.

Also quick question, how do I get the flywheel cover off? I took of the bolts on the front, but it doesn't seem to budge.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
make sure you have found all the bolts then sometimes it helps removing the centre inspection bung (to help pull it off) the case is held in place by locator dowels (and possibly RTV) so could be stuck also remember you have a large magnet trying to keep it in place. tap with rubber hammer to break it free then it should lift off, you will lose some oil (about 1/2 a cup full) so be expecting that and put something under the engine to catch it.

Reactions: SirAchesis

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Revs going up while speed remained the same? Odd. That sounds like a weak clutch - not good news on top of all else. As to the cam chain tensioner between the cylinders on the front: 10mm bolt head on the cap, it is rubbish. 12mm bolt head on the cap it is the good upgraded unit.

Once you have the crankshaft cover plug on the stator cover removed, use a socket to rotate the engine clockwise. If you can make two full turns, it would appear to be OK. However, as mentioned it may have shed its magnets.

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,489 Posts
There's 9 bolts holding the flywheel cover. You will need to remove the sprocket cover to access all of them.

Reactions: yorkie

·
Administrator
16,175 Posts
so a 2nd gen/modded flywheel should be sourced in your immediate future.

·
Administrator
16,175 Posts
21050-1162, mod not difficult, link attached

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Pull the oil pan, as "some" of the gunk is in there, and in the screen on the oil pump. Betcha it has the bad cam chain tensioner as well. Might as well fix it all while you have it down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts