Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I bought a 2001 EX-500 with 12000 miles about a month ago. It ran great without any problems until last weekend. I felt the engine wanting more gas and turned the knob to reserve. The engine stalled anyways. I had to pull over and after a few minutes with the help of the choke it started up. It ran for another few miles and died on me again. I reached the gas station after 3 stalls. I filled the gas tank and since then no problems. What do you guys make of this? Can I (newbie) fix it? Is it better to take it to the service shop.

VJ

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
It may only be water in the tank.. Try to add some sta-bil or gazohol in the tank. If this doesn't fix it, then it might be clogged..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
appreciate ur replies....
how do i clean the reserve petcock if its clogged? is it a simple procedure?

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
1. take off the tank
2. take off the petcock
3. clean petcock
4. put petcock back on tank and tank back on bike
5. profit!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will clean the petcock during the weekend.....
hope it fixes the problem.

thanks

·
Registered
261 Posts
I just had the same thing happen to me yesterday. Stalled a couple times on reserve but fine in the on position. I know it's not my petcock, I just had it out and cleaned it, and it's not water in the tank, I just emptied it completely. Unless the gas I put in had water in it, but I don't go to stations that may have crappy gas.

So IDK what's going on, I'm curious what you find out jazz man.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took out the tank and checked the petcock. It was clean. There was no clogging on either the main pipe or the reserve pipe of the petcock. I am thinking abt taking it to the dealer and getting it serviced.... :(.
Not too excited about it.... Anymore suggestions before I take it in??

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Get more gas, put stabil in there (or whatever could keep water floating in your gas)

Start it on the regular tank, go for a 30 min ride or so

once its back home, switch to reserve to see if there are any changes.

Do it before the dealer tells you it was water in the tank..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts