Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m working on getting my bike back on the road, so I charged up my battery and got it hooked up. When I try to start the bike, I hear a click as if a relay is engaging, but the starter doesn’t do anything. I’ve checked the fuses in the junction box and they all look good. The horn works, and my next step is going to be getting the gauges put back on to see if those work. Any ideas of what I should check with a multimeter? The bike is an 05 with ~14.5k miles and hasn’t given me any electrical issues prior to this.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
start with the basics do a voltage drop test on the fully charged battery.
clean all the battery. solenoid. and starter connections.
test the solenoid by shorting across the two big connectors with a screwdriver. to see if the starter operates.
if it does test the voltage of the yellow/red solenoid activation wire. if that's ok, then it's probably a faulty solenoid.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The starter cranks when I short the connectors. Should I be testing the voltage of the wire against ground?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
which wire the red/yellow one on top of the solenoid. if so yes. but don't forget it is only live when you press the starter button. ignition on of course.
your trying to test if there is power from the starter button to the solenoid down that red/yellow wire. it is what activates the solenoid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts