Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a 96 EX 500 that will flood the engine with gas if the petcock is left "on" while the bike is not running. The only solution I know of for him at this point is to get a new set of carburators, but I was wondering if anyone else knew why this is happening and how to correct it.

When this first happened I drained his oil and about 1-1.5 gallons of gas poured out. I sucked all the gas out of the cylinders, put in new plugs and checked the floats in the carb as they seemed fine and cleaned the rest of the carbs out...nothing was clogged. We started the bike up and it ran great. I advised him to keep the gas off at all times when the bike wasnt running and I guess he forgot and the engine overflowed with gas again.

Does anyone else out there have an idea why it is doing this?

Can anyone tell me how to correct/fix this?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Spamrot said:
The only solution I know of for him at this point is to get a new set of carburators, but I was wondering if anyone else knew why this is happening and how to correct it.
Really?? I mean... really? Are you sure?
This isn't a carburetor issue... this is a petcock issue. The valve in the little fella can fail. New carbs will fix nothing.
I can think of one real easy and cheap fix. Turn it to off when you're not on the bike, motorcyclists have been doing it without fail for years.

·
Registered
64 Posts
fidopunk said:
Spamrot said:
The only solution I know of for him at this point is to get a new set of carburators, but I was wondering if anyone else knew why this is happening and how to correct it.
Really?? I mean... really? Are you sure?
This isn't a carburetor issue... this is a petcock issue. The valve in the little fella can fail. New carbs will fix nothing.
I can think of one real easy and cheap fix. Turn it to off when you're not on the bike, motorcyclists have been doing it without fail for years.
This is a petcock AND float issue.

First, the petcock shouldn't be releasing fuel unless there's vaccum.
TEST: Take off tank and turn the petcock to "ON". Is it letting fuel out? If not, suck on the vacuum. If fuel comes out, then the petcock is working.

Then the float should prevent engine flooding as the float valves should be closed at the right height.
TEST: Take the carburetor (with fuel hose) and place it on a stand. Use turkey baster to feed it with fuel. Both carburetors should NOT overflow with fuel. If it does, the overflowing carburetor(s) have a float valve issue. Check the valve seats of blockage and check the valve height using a clear tube.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
If you really want to change the carbs, check in the for sale section FOG has a carb restoring program that is really nice ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the same problem. I took the cabs off by just removing the gas tank. take off the float bowls and look up where the needle valve goes. Probably see some junk there. Use an air hose to blow where the gas goes in, and back up the valve seat. Reassemble with a fuel filter and you should be good to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts