Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started having a problem where the engine intermittently cuts out. When this happens the tach drops to zero immediatly, even if the engine is still spinning, then jumps back up when the engine comes back. I can ride for a while with the bike running completely normally, once it starts cutting out though it will keep happening, engine will cut out for less than a second, come back and run for a few seconds maybe, then cut out again.

Last time it happened it eventually just died and I couldn't keep it running. After letting it sit for a few minutes it fired up and ran fine for the rest of the 10 minute ride home.

My thought from this is that it's either the igniter is bad, or it's getting some signal that is telling it to cut off, either from a faulty switch or maybe something wrong with it's power supply. Mostly because the cutting out is very sudden on and off, and it's accompanied by the tach dropping straight to zero.

Initially I thought kickstand switch because it seemed like pulling in the clutch fixed the problem. I removed the kickstand switch and just shorted the connection there, but that has not fixed the problem, and this last time around clutching did not seem to help.

I say seem because honestly I'm not 100% sure, when this happens I'm mostly trying to get off the road and not get run into so I can't completely focus on what's going on!

I think my approach is going to be to try to check the kill switch, double check my kickstand switch fix and make sure that electrical connection I made didn't come apart, and then i guess pull the igniter and see if the kawasaki dealer can test it, it seems like it's possibly a problem that goes away when the bike has a chance to cool down after running for a while, so maybe the igniter is overheating.

Mostly just want to see if anyone has suggestions for things I'm not thinking of! Thanks!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I think my approach is going to be to try to check the kill switch, double check my kickstand switch fix and make sure that electrical connection I made didn't come apart, and then i guess pull the igniter and see if the kawasaki dealer can test it, it seems like it's possibly a problem that goes away when the bike has a chance to cool down after running for a while, so maybe the igniter is overheating.

Mostly just want to see if anyone has suggestions for things I'm not thinking of! Thanks!
First of all:
  • Load test the battery
  • Check for corroded or dirty electrical connections in the batery/Running circuit
  • Check power switch, kill switch, kickstand switch and clutch switch.

Next step, igniter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, turns out I'm an idiot... positive battery connection is loose! Will get that fixed then see if I actually have a problem. Battery is probably due for at least an electrolyte level check as well.

·
Banned
19 Posts
I've started having a problem where the engine intermittently cuts out. When this happens the tach drops to zero immediatly, even if the engine is still spinning, then jumps back up when the engine comes back. I can ride for a while with the bike running completely normally, once it starts cutting out though it will keep happening, engine will cut out for less than a second, come back and run for a few seconds maybe, then cut out again.

Last time it happened it eventually just died and I couldn't keep it running. After letting it sit for a few minutes it fired up and ran fine for the rest of the 10 minute ride home.

My thought from this is that it's either the igniter is bad, or it's getting some signal that is telling it to cut off, either from a faulty switch or maybe something wrong with it's power supply. Mostly because the cutting out is very sudden on and off, and it's accompanied by the tach dropping straight to zero.

Initially I thought kickstand switch because it seemed like pulling in the clutch fixed the problem. I removed the kickstand switch and just shorted the connection there, but that has not fixed the problem, and this last time around clutching did not seem to help.

I say seem because honestly I'm not 100% sure, when this happens I'm mostly trying to get off the road and not get run into so I can't completely focus on what's going on!

Cdi box is gone it’s very common

·
Registered
19,445 Posts
The Tach is electrical, IE; counts the ignition pulse s not engine revs. therefore you plobles is electrical look for loose wires ect>

FOG

·
Banned
19 Posts
The Tach is electrical, IE; counts the ignition pulse s not engine revs. therefore you plobles is electrical look for loose wires ect>

FOG
I don’t no who u think u are , but I had the same problem if his coils check out good it’s the cdi igniter

·
Registered
19,445 Posts
I don’t no who u think u are , but I had the same problem if his coils check out good it’s the cdi igniter
You might notice, His positive battery connection was loose. FWI the bike needs a battery in place, it can be dead. but it will not run with a open battery.
Like I sad electrical ,check for loose wires,ECT ECT means battery connections too

God er FOG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts