Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Okay, after putting some oil overnight in the combustion chamber, I was able to move the cylinder within its current stroke, but it seems to block whenever its going to the next stroke (cylinder up/down)

im assuming there is either something blocking up at the valves, or down in the crankcase. Could the valve clearance affect this? If yes, does not the starter motor have enough torque to bend the valve if its in the way? and why haven`t it done so before when it was running?

Anyways, I will reinstall everything now and try to use the starter one more to get it going. If it doesnt work then im going to have to disassemble the top end to inspect the valves.

Would love to have your input on this.

Thanks in advance
Sam

·
Border Kong
934 Posts
If a valve is stuck down and you use the starter, you will most likely kink the valve. My advice would be to check the valves first, once you are there you calibrate them and then rotate the engine by hand two full turns to make sure engine is not seized (take out the spark plugs to avoid compression makes this hard to do) .

Only after this, you can try to use the starter motor to start the engine.

If you're still having trouble starting, it's probably the bolts holding the starter clutch that are giving you trouble.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My take on it-a stuck valve/ damaged valve. Possibly damaged piston as well. Turning backwards 1 revolution, then forward 1 or more revolutions and hitting a stop. No starter will help this situation. Possible crankshaft damage also.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts