Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another mid life crisis.
828 miles on an '07. Two PO's. Added good battery. Starts, warms, and sounds like clunky bucket of bolts in transmission in 3rd gear . Died after 200 yards, won't start. Battery in Truckee charger for 2 days due to downpour. Operation: Day 2. Starts, warms with cleaner idle. Ride another 200 yards, locks back wheel. Coast home. Day 3. Locked. I surmise bolts on the back of the flywheel loosened up. Do I need to drain the oil or would there be a minimal amount be behind the flywheel cover for this inspection? I have blue locktite, flywheel puller, battery maintenance know-how. There will be carb rebuild, filters, T4 oil, and coolant replacement with electrical inspections.
Thank you for addressing the simplistic question. I'll add another request, models of mid priced, no maintenance, sealed battery referral.

Let there be wind to your back

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Oil leakage would be minimal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, there was not much oil in quantity. The hub of the chain sprocket has divots, is this what the sprags do? Anyway none of the flywheel bolts are loosened. Sprags are regreased. Everything in the starter area looks new.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Based on what I'm reading it looks to me that you have a major problem in the transmission. This is just a total guess, I can't elaborate on any specifics.

Just to be clear your engine never really locks, correct? It's just the rear wheel that locks? And when that does happen you can easily put it in neutral and roll the bike?

·
Registered
19,245 Posts
try yo get the straight of this, I hear a brand new 800 mile bike is suspected of major malfunctions that usually occur at high milage.

sudden locking on the rear wheel is a indication of engaging 2 gears at once. the cause of this ia a snap ring in the transmission has come adrift of it groove and allowing a slider to go when it sent supposed to .
the fix is simple ,but involves removal of the engine and the botton case to be put right.
Prolly why it was set aside after only 800 miles.
I going out on a limb here a bit, the description is vague , with a lot of white Elepants.

FOG

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Prolly why it was set aside after only 800 miles.

FOG
My thought exactly. Could not even imagine what stunts were done by the 2 PO's. (And more than likely the first one):surprise:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sprags might have been #2 issue, dead cylinder as #2?. Pulled factory pilot screw plugs and found #1 at 1/2 turn and #2 at 1-3/4. Pulled the carbs off, absolutely clean with a rattle in the bowl and I found the vacuum needle seat. Flooded much?. I can't imagine why this guy gave the bike with the house! Second owner just titled the bike. I bought it for a single since it was gifted once before. I still have a #2 carb problem every 3rd or 5th run. It's been a fun commuter. Yes a dollar. No guilt either party, she smiled when I had to pay her at the DMV. I thought it was my time to die or something. Now the side fairing are cracking down by the bolts and I'm wondering if it's my weight or mad people....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me add another thing I'm no expert with anything, just confident in my perspective. I value input, and humor encouraged unless you say I need to charge my battery... then I unhitch my trailor.

·
Super Moderator
14,618 Posts
Another mid life crisis.
828 miles on an '07. Two PO's. Added good battery. Starts, warms, and sounds like clunky bucket of bolts in transmission in 3rd gear . Died after 200 yards, won't start. Battery in Truckee charger for 2 days due to downpour. Operation: Day 2. Starts, warms with cleaner idle. Ride another 200 yards, locks back wheel. Coast home. Day 3. Locked. I surmise bolts on the back of the flywheel loosened up. Do I need to drain the oil or would there be a minimal amount be behind the flywheel cover for this inspection? I have blue locktite, flywheel puller, battery maintenance know-how. There will be carb rebuild, filters, T4 oil, and coolant replacement with electrical inspections.
Thank you for addressing the simplistic question. I'll add another request, models of mid priced, no maintenance, sealed battery referral.

Let there be wind to your back
So you posted no solution, has this been resolved?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts