Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I just recently did spark plugs, kn air filter, oil, carb rebuild, and seafoam.
Bike is 2006 with 8500miles.
The left cylinder pops when the bike is leaned to the right.
Is this something serious or just the normal pop I've heard on this forum that the bike has? YouTube.com

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
sounds to me very much like a popping you get when one carb is running weak. a clue could be the carb rebuild. leaning the bike will alter the fuel level making it worse. try resetting the pilot screws and checking the float levels on a wet test.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds to me very much like a popping you get when one carb is running weak. a clue could be the carb rebuild. leaning the bike will alter the fuel level making it worse. try resetting the pilot screws and checking the float levels on a wet test.
How would I do a wet test? Dismantle the carbs set the float bowl level, fill with water, and measure?
Fiddling around with the pilot screw previously didn't stop the noise nor make it worse. Seems to happen slightly less when it's revving.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Nope. a wet test is to establish the correct fuel level in the carbs (can or should be done on the bench prior to fitting the carbs) but you can do them on the bike. get a clear plastic tube same diameter as the carb drain outlets fit the tube to the outlet hold the tube against the carb open the drain screw with a flat driver and the fuel will rise in the tube the level of the fuel in each carb should be the same and on the float bowl join + or - 1mm do both carbs. if you have them on the bike and have a vacuum petcock you may have to run the bike between tests to get enough fuel. if they are out you have to remove the carbs and re set the float needles. which is why they should be done prior to fitting the carbs to the bike.

as for the idle screws are you sure they are set properly. the difference from carb to carb can vary a lot for instance my gen 2 works perfect with e both screws set at 2 and half turns out. but on the gen 1 one carb is best at 2 and a quarter out while the other is nearer 3 turns out. funny enough because one cylinder was always popping on high idle.

both of these procedures can be found in the how to section.

·
Super Moderator
15,340 Posts
This is fuel related, though valve clearance check was called for at 7500 miles, was it actually done?
And carbs synched after your service procedure?

·
Super Moderator
6,552 Posts
The carb drain screws take a 3mm Allen wrench (or hex socket) to loosen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is fuel related, though valve clearance check was called for at 7500 miles, was it actually done?
And carbs synched after your service procedure?
Hadn't gotten to the valves yet, the aluminum? screws on top of valve cover are pretty badly seized and they began stripping. I'll have to find my impact driver.
Is there a good tutorial on check/adjustment of valves with photos you can link me to?

·
Super Moderator
15,340 Posts
Hadn't gotten to the valves yet, the aluminum? screws on top of valve cover are pretty badly seized and they began stripping. I'll have to find my impact driver.
Is there a good tutorial on check/adjustment of valves with photos you can link me to?
linky here Valve Adjustment (bpe version)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts