Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days ago I picked up my bike from the dealership after getting its first service at 600 miles. I rode it home, about 5 miles, and the next day I rode it to work, about 15 miles. (didn't check the oil level :-\) After work I rode around a little before going home which put about another 40 miles. The next morning (today) I (finally) checked the oil level and it was above the top line. Has it been overfilled? Have I damaged my engine? Do I need to take some oil out? Sorry, but I don't know a whole lot about this.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...So its not like a car engine if you overfill with oil? Should I just leave it alone? Sorry if Im being a little slow understanding ???

Edit: the oil is covering the entire window

·
Registered
375 Posts
When I picked up my 500r from the dealer I noticed that the level completely filled the window. About 2000 miles later I did an oil change( by that time the level had become visible ) and thought I was being extremely careful to not overfill, but after it had settled for awhile it once again covered the window. I think once you get near the top a few drops make a big difference, but the bottom line is I know the bike is not seriously overfilled, and it has run like a top. The owners manual that came with my bike says if it's overfilled to stick a syringe in the filler and remove some...so if you do that at least you'll have peace of mind that you are not doing any damage ;) .

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Lucky#13 said:
Listen man , it's this simple; If you know how much oil you put in it then your good !
Carefull Lucky, Your starting to sound like FOG

FOG

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to those who tried to help. I guess if I had a technical question about rebuilding an engine it would be different. If this question was to "simple" for you, why say anything? "Welcome to the forum" only if you have years of mechanical experience.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
bookman said:
Thanks to those who tried to help. I guess if I had a technical question about rebuilding an engine it would be different. If this question was to "simple" for you, why say anything? "Welcome to the forum" only if you have years of mechanical experience.
I'm trying to help you out here . Start by changing you own oil . It's really simple . Also it's the only true way to know if it has been done properly . That's all .

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
bookman said:
I hear you :) When I started doing maintenance on my own bikes, I worried about every little thing - which is only a good thing.

The best lesson I've learned is that if you think you should address something, address it. The little bit of oil overfill should be fine, but if it bothers you, it isn't too difficult to drain just a bit. I've done this myself my very carefully loosening up the drain bolt until it was amost out, then using my hand to let just a little bit bleed out. Perfection will never hurt you.

On this note... I bought my fiancee an older Honda Nighthawk to learn riding on. When I got it, I went over everything I could (not rebuilding the engine), and did a lot of cleanup, including removing the engine case covers to remove yellowing Nylac from them, and then polishing them back to new with compounds, etc.

After replacing the stator-side cover, I started the bike up, and was met with a distinct 'whisk-whisk' sound. I let the bike run for a couple of seconds, then shut it down. Went over everything I'd done in my mind, couldn't think of a logical reason for the sound, and started her back up. The sound was much quieter the second time around, and after about a minute, it disappeared.

The bike ran great for about a week, then while out on a ride, we stopped for a passing train. It was a slow freight train, so we shut the bikes off (it was summer). When we went to restart, the Nighthawk wouldn't go.

Two days of running downtown and troubleshooting every chance I could, I finally gave up and had a friend help me get it to the dealership. I mentioned the work I'd done to the tech, who said no problem, it was something simple, and they'd take care of it.

Almost two weeks later, the tech called and said the bike was ready to go. When we showed up, the tech asked me if I'd ever removed the engine case covers. I said yes, after which he gave me a friendly smack on the shoulder, and let me know that I'd stumped the techs there for hours. :-[

Turns out, when I replaced the stator, I had not properly wound the wiring going to it within the case. The wires were gently hitting the rotor, and after enough time, insulation wore off, and ZAP. Shorted the entire electrical system.

Well, a little long winded... but the morale is that paying attention to things never hurts. If it bugs you, fix it. If you always fix it, you won't get any surprises.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Administrator said:
bookman said:
I hear you :) When I started doing maintenance on my own bikes, I worried about every little thing - which is only a good thing.

The best lesson I've learned is that if you think you should address something, address it. The little bit of oil overfill should be fine, but if it bothers you, it isn't too difficult to drain just a bit. I've done this myself my very carefully loosening up the drain bolt until it was amost out, then using my hand to let just a little bit bleed out. Perfection will never hurt you.
I ended up using a syringe last night and pulled out about 8 ounces. This morning its just above the top line. I just spent a lot of money (for me) on this bike and I guess I was just a little worried. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
150 Posts
A couple of times I had me level just at the top where I could not see it. I would lean the bike over just a little to see how much over. If it's just at the top, I leave it. More than that, I drain it using the lower drain plug.

If it still bothers me then I just park on a non-level surface. ;D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts