Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 1988 Ex500 for free. I wanted a project bike for my son and I. My normal ride is a 1997 ZX7R, so this is just something to pass the time. It was in a left side accident (all the fairings are pretty much destroyed.)

First thing was a carb rebuild, oil change and spark plugs. Had to by a radiator because the one on the bike had a nasty gash in it. Now cchecker trouble.

I tried to get it to fire the other day and it eventually started, ran. for a second and died. I tried to get it to fire again and all I heard was clicking from solenoid. Crossed the solenoid terminals and it still made the clicking. Checked all the fuses, both in the box and the 30amp on the solenoid. Checked my spark plugs and my carbs to make sure I was getting fuel. Everything checked out. I ran my jump box directly to the starter and the same thing, just clicking.

Tonight, I took the flywheel cover off and took out the starter. Bench tested and it spun and spun and spun. No issues at all. I reinstalledit and ddecided to manually turn the engine over. I removed the spark plugs and added a little Mystery Oil into the cylinders. I turned the flywheel towards the front off the engine and it moved about 1/2 to 2/3 revolutions and stopped. I reversed direction of the flywheel and again, it moved 1/2 to 1/3 then stopped. It did shoot the mystery oil out off the cylinders and onto the ceiling which is about 10ft up.

I then decided to hook the starter directly to the jump box while the cover was off. I posted a video on YouTube. Link below

http://youtu.be/lCrNCNEKCRU

Any help would be appreciated. Is my motor seized? Am I missing something? Thank you in advance

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Pull the flywheel off and look at the three Allen head bolts shown in the photo on the back side. When these bolts come loose, they bind the starter gear against the crankcase so the crankshaft cannot be turned.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,638 Posts
your turning the engine backwards. don't do this.
FOG

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
trhouse said:
Pull the flywheel off and look at the three Allen head bolts shown in the photo on the back side. When these bolts come loose, they bind the starter gear against the crankcase so the crankshaft cannot be turned.
Anyway to get the flywheel off without the M18x1.5 tool? I called around yesterday and no one has one. I even called some hardware and auto parts stores to see if they had an M18x1.5 bolt.......no such luck. Looks like EBay or Amazon is my best bet. I just didn't want to buy a tool if the engine is seized (granted its not expensive, but this is a budget bike. Don't want to buy a tool that I won't ever use again.)

FOG said:
your turning the engine backwards. don't do this.
FOG
I realize I was turning it backwards. I was showing how far it actually turned the correct way when the starter was engaged and where the binding occurred. Just trying to show more of what was happening so people might have more of an idea of what it could be.

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
The minute you get home with a new or used ex500, that's the time you need to buy a flywheel puller. You cannot service the starter clutch without it, and you never know if and when your starter clutch will have problems. You can always go to the local auto parts store and try one of these spark plug chase tools, supposedly they work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FloridaEX500 said:
The minute you get home with a new or used ex500, that's the time you need to buy a flywheel puller. You cannot service the starter clutch without it, and you never know if and when your starter clutch will have problems. You can always go to the local auto parts store and try one of these spark plug chase tools, supposedly they work.
I never thought about one off those, and I manage a parts store lol. I just went ahead and ordered one. Should be in Friday.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
here is my starter cog same thing happened to me just shows u that if u don't pay attention to the little things they get bigger but thanks to guys on the gpz site I managed to source another cog and bike starts sweet now

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. Im even more confused. Took the flywheel off and checked the chain, the gear and the back of the flywheel for a loose bolt...everything was fine. No shavings, no loose bolts, no cracked flywheel. ....nothing...

I had originally taken the starter out and bench tested it and it spun, but could it be fine enough to spin when disconnected from yhe starter gear, but not bind up when stress is put on it? But then again, the engine spins 180 to the left and 180 to the right without the starter connected.....Im so confused.

What else should I check?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually used a brand new 31 series truck battery.....one with 950 cca and 1100 ca.....im sure that's sufficient enough.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
That is good. One thing is not clear from your post. You mention turning the crankshaft manually and it stopped. Do you mean you stopped or you could not turn the crankshaft past that point?

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250/17' 300 engine, 07' EX500
3,813 Posts
Re:

Have you tried turning it over with the spark plugs removed?

·
Super Moderator
15,481 Posts
hydrolock?

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250/17' 300 engine, 07' EX500
3,813 Posts
Re:

That's what I'm thinking maybe, long shot, but it's easy enough to check

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
trhouse said:
That is good. One thing is not clear from your post. You mention turning the crankshaft manually and it stopped. Do you mean you stopped or you could not turn the crankshaft past that point?
Couldn't turn it past the point either way.

Ghostt said:
Have you tried turning it over with the spark plugs removed?
Sparkys were removed when I tried.

ducatiman said:
hydrolock?
How would I check?

·
Super Moderator
15,481 Posts
Sparkys were removed when I tried.

ducatiman said:
hydrolock?
How would I check?
[/quote]

you just did

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok....I just took the flywheel and gears off, so it was just the shaft. I inserted the flywheel bolt and made a notation of where the shaft was before I turned it manually. It actually turned 360 degrees before locking up (both directions) I can hear something lifting and then a sudden drop before it locks up.

When I push on the shaft it feels like it moves in about 1/32 of an inch and I can hear a faint popping coming from the right side of the bike (oil fill case)

Im starting to really think my motor is gone. I wouldn't really be out any money other then oil, carb kits and the price of the flywheel tool, so Im not to worried. Just dont want to scrap it if its not the engine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know its probably not the right way to do it, but I ended up getting two screw drivers the same size and length, put them gently down the spark plug holes and tried turning the engine back and forth to see if the piston actually moved. Both screw drivers moved up and down like it made a full revolution before it stops. So I dont believe my pistons are seized. Could it be in the shifter or clutch?

The transmission was in neutral during all my test (rear tire was able to move free by hand.) I tried it in first gear and the tire didnt move when spun by hand, but moved a little when tried to turn engine over manually. Same thing, about 360 degrees and it locked up. what should I test from here? The oil in it is brand new, motorcycle 10w40 so I know I have the right kind of oil before anyone asks.

·
Registered
19,638 Posts
A maladjusted or stuck valve hitting the piston. Or you dropped something into the cam chain gallery.

FOG

1 - 20 of 104 Posts