Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250/17' 300 engine, 07' EX500
3,814 Posts
Re:

Have your son help, with his own hands, that's how I learned from my father, he was big into drag racing back in the day, so there was always something going on to learn about, and the father/son experience is priceless, and getting fewer due to technology is getting in the way.

As I tell my kids "go outside, the graphics are awesome"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Re:

Ghostt said:
Have your son help, with his own hands, that's how I learned from my father, he was big into drag racing back in the day, so there was always something going on to learn about, and the father/son experience is priceless, and getting fewer due to technology is getting in the way.

As I tell my kids "go outside, the graphics are awesome"
That's my goal! :)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
yep I get my 4 yr old daughter to help with mine(slave labour ) I was lucky my dad gave me a knackered 250 when I was 19 a 2 stroke and was bliss to fix but finding parts was like hunting the grail the gpz is the first 4 stroke engine iv messed with... even though I had a gsxr 4stroke ...and now my little bro wants a bike but he has never rode a bike so im tugging him towards a gpz lol free parts

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Engine possibly seized

lunty74 said:
yep I get my 4 yr old daughter to help with mine(slave labour ) I was lucky my dad gave me a knackered 250 when I was 19 a 2 stroke and was bliss to fix but finding parts was like hunting the grail the gpz is the first 4 stroke engine iv messed with... even though I had a gsxr 4stroke ...and now my little bro wants a bike but he has never rode a bike so im tugging him towards a gpz lol free parts
Good call on the little brother advice LOL

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Found what caused the bent valve:

Took off the top engine and this was sitting right there:

Looks like it is the bolt that controls the idle adjustment on the carbs (mine seems to be missing)

My thoughts are when I took my carbs off, it must have been so loose that it fell off into the cylinder and I didnt notice......I feel like an idiot. If I had heard it fall, I would have dug it out. My own fault on this engine. But, on the plus side, I know what caused it and its nothing major like skipped timing or broken shaft. So, rebuild, here I come.

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
when you rebuild it...do yourself a faor and install a 2nd gen CCT or you might just be doing another rebuild

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Looks like it is the bolt that controls the idle adjustment on the carbs (mine seems to be missing)
The idle adjustment screw has a large plastic fluted knob on the end and is over three inches long. Might be the sync screw in which case you are missing a spring too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
trhouse said:
The idle adjustment screw has a large plastic fluted knob on the end.
Sorry. What I meant was the screw you turn to synchronize the carbs. Mine is missing.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
From the factory, there is a spring under that screw too. I noticed on mine, there is yellow paint on the screw to keep it from moving. You are making good progress.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
trhouse said:
From the factory, there is a spring under that screw too. I noticed on mine, there is yellow paint on the screw to keep it from moving. You are making good progress.
I found the spring when I was removing the top of the engine. It somehow managed to find its way underneath the bike in a pile of speedi-dri lol. I'm so thankful I dont have to look for it in the engine ;D

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts
Re:

I gotta ask, how did the carburetors sync screw find it's way into the engine in the first place?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Re:

Ghostt said:
I gotta ask, how did the carburetors sync screw find it's way into the engine in the first place?
I have no idea. My thoughts:

1. The screw probably wasnt on tight. When I lifted the carbs out, maybe the screw popped out and went down the carb port on the engine. I didn't here it because my radio was on in the garage.

Or

2. I have no frigen clue lol

All I know was it was inside the engine and I am missing the sync screw on my carb.

Just sucks because if I was more careful, maybe I would have seen the loose screw, or been more careful when pulling the carbs. I thought I was, but obviously not. My own stupidity on this one. What I'm shocked over is that I found the spring sitting underneath the bike. Its just really weird.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I use some tarpolin colour BLUE under my bike mainly for stopping oil on the floor but its great for things falling off easy to spot

·
Registered
13 Posts
your turning the engine backwards. don't do this.
FOG
I'm having an engine stuck as well. I bought it with only 3000 miles on it. iIt's an 04 ninja 500. Clean the carbs and tried to synchronize the carbs, but still ran funny. So I did a valve clearance check but I slipped the feeler gauges between the rocker arm and cam shaft. That was my first mistake I think. Then I hooked everything up confidently and tried to start it. That was my second mistake. I should have checked for binding first. The engine turn a couple times then it stop cranking only clicking. So I thought it was a bad solenoid or even bad starter so I took the starter off and tore it apart and cleaned it and put it back. Still clicking. So now I tried to turn the motor to see if it's stuck. Its stuck darn it!!!! The bolt just spins off. Please help sensei!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,772 Posts
The bolt just spins off.
If that bolt was properly torqued down, it would have been very difficult to break it loose by trying to turn the engine over.
Was it already loose?
What type of tool did you use?

You may only have a bad battery. And for some reason a loose flywheel bolt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If that bolt was properly torqued down, it would have been very difficult to break it loose by trying to turn the engine over.
Was it already loose?
What type of tool did you use?

You may only have a bad battery. And for some reason a loose flywheel bolt.
I just bought the bike and been trying to get it road ready.i used a 14 mm socket and while turning it to do the valve checks the motor was turning no problem. After I put every thing back together it cranked 2 short times then just start clicking the clicking is loud tho. So i thought bad solenoid and did the screw driver cross and it turned a little bit. But just clicks now. And the screwdriver got really hot. So I tore starter apart a cleaned it. Thinking it's a bad starter. Still not cranking.Now I'm trying to turn the motor but the bolt is just coming off. How do I torque it down?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just bought the bike and been trying to get it road ready.i used a 14 mm socket and while turning it to do the valve checks the motor was turning no problem. After I put every thing back together it cranked 2 short times then just start clicking the clicking is loud tho. So i thought bad solenoid and did the screw driver cross and it turned a little bit. But just clicks now. And the screwdriver got really hot. So I tore starter apart a cleaned it. Thinking it's a bad starter. Still not cranking.Now I'm trying to turn the motor but the bolt is just coming off. How do I torque it down?
And I know the battery is good do u think doing the valve check through the cam shaft and rocker would cause the engine to get stuck?

·
Registered
13 Posts
And I know the battery is good do u think doing the valve check through the cam shaft and rocker would cause the engine to get stuck?
And I never messed with that bolt so it was obviously not torqued down enough well I didn't even turn it that hard before it started to come off. Help me Sensei!!!!!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
was the bike running and starting when you got it. are you sure the battery is 100%. is the case still off (you have to remove it to do the starter motor) if so I Trick I found was to put a 6 sided ring key or socket and a bar on the nut then when the bolt feels tight-ish (it's a left hand thread so tightens anti clockwise) smack the end of the spanner/socket bar with a hammer. this should shock tighten it enough to turn the engine over (clockwise) if the engine then stops turning goes tight or the bolt unscrews again you have a mechanical issue that requires further investigation may be a bolt has backed out of the starter clutch behind the fly wheel. if it now spins free the but still doesn't turn over just clicks I would suspect the battery has a dead cell.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts