Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever i disengage the clutch and roll on the throttle, my engine will sputter. I have to litterally time it perfectly or else it cuts off, and even then I still hear this stuttering sound. Maybe it's an idle screw issur? can anyone help me out

·
Registered
503 Posts
Most likely carb or fuel related.

Make sure the gas is fresh, drain the tank and floatbowls if there's any question.

Is the air filter clean?

Set the idle mixture according to this when the engine is fully warm - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_adjust_the_idle_mixture? (for the 250, but the idea is the same).

Set the idle speed to 1300 after setting the idle mixture.

Check the condition of the plugs.

Adjust the valves if they haven't been recently.

Adding a strong fuel system cleaner like Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner (1oz per gal) may help clear minor deposits, but don't expect miracles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most likely carb or fuel related.

Make sure the gas is fresh, drain the tank and floatbowls if there's any question.

Is the air filter clean?

Set the idle mixture according to this when the engine is fully warm - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_adjust_the_idle_mixture? (for the 250, but the idea is the same).

Set the idle speed to 1300 after setting the idle mixture.

Check the condition of the plugs.

Adjust the valves if they haven't been recently.

Adding a strong fuel system cleaner like Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner (1oz per gal) may help clear minor deposits, but don't expect miracles.
I might actually try first the fuel system cleaner first, since I just filled up yesterday. Im also pretty sure though it's the carb.when I try to start it in the mornings I have to choke it everytime

·
Registered
503 Posts
I might actually try first the fuel system cleaner first, since I just filled up yesterday. Im also pretty sure though it's the carb.when I try to start it in the mornings I have to choke it everytime
You should need to choke it when it's stone cold. If not, you are adjusted too rich when the engine is at operating temp.

If there is any amount of condensation in the bottom of the tank adding fresh fuel won't help. Drain the floatbowls and look closely at the fuel that comes out for water or debris.

Adjusting the idle mixture properly will always make it idle smoother and ride better. The adjustment will change with fuel type and air temp.

Syncing the carbs, along with other related maintenance, is also part of proper tuning.

·
Banned
11,553 Posts
Before you go wild on it...
1: cold engine?
Not cold temp but not fired off in several hours?
2: battery up to snuff?

3: CHECK the battery.

4: if it's warmed up to temp then adjust the mix.
If it's still there... TASK 9.1 in the wiki carb clean. My instructions

5: check that there battery.

You need to eleiminate the battery as the problem before diving into the carbs... then worry about carbs and tank. Unless you already did voltage check on battery then... I dunno nothing...

BTW, add year, status, etc in your question.

O_E_M

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got the sputtering problem only on take off there's a lag then it will accelerate idk what going on I've cleaned the tank and the carbs haven't checked the plugs yet does anyone know what is going on with it the bike is a 07 Kawasaki ninja 500r

·
Super Moderator
14,710 Posts
mileage? ALL maintenance up to date...specifically valve clearances, air filter, spark plug caps? And yeah, check/change the plugs if condition dictates.
Provide information ...THEN we can move forward with some member support.

·
Registered
5 Posts
mileage? ALL maintenance up to date...specifically valve clearances, air filter, spark plug caps? And yeah, check/change the plugs if condition dictates.
Provide information ...THEN we can move forward with some member support.
79633 miles on it and no haven't changed the filter on it because it looked new have not checked the clearance of the valves yet either but am working to it it seems like the carbs aren't synchronizing right

·
Registered
5 Posts

79633 miles on it and no haven't changed the filter on it because it looked new have not checked the clearance of the valves yet either but am working to it it seems like the carbs aren't synchronizing right
No clue how they supposed to be set yet either any clue

·
Super Moderator
14,710 Posts
79,633 miles? Are you sure in reading odo correctly....not 7963.3? ...7963 and 3/10 miles? the RH most digit is 10th/mile

In either case the Gen 2 maintenance chart calls for valve clearance at 7500 mile intervals and you are way OVER.

A full service is due, valve adjust requires carb pull anyway....perform both a valve clearance check AND proper carb service.

You really need a service manual in hand for step by step guidance in these service procedures, suggest to buy either Haynes or factory....

·
Super Moderator
14,710 Posts
a link to FOGs guide to valve check but buy a manual REGARDLESS!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for the information I will buy a manual for sure than I will check on the pilot circuit too just to make sure

1 - 13 of 13 Posts