Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

After leaving my Kawasaki GPZ500s 1996 at an airport for 8 days (open parking), starting the engine becomes just nightmare:
  • Engine starts on choke, RPM does not go higher then 500-1000, dies straight away if any amount of throttle is applied.
  • Without the choke applied, engine starts OK, throttle responds as usual, motorcycle is rideable. However, it takes time to start the engine in cold with no choke. I'm just afraid to end up with dead battery or starter. Throttle needs to be applied a little bit until engine warms up, otherwise engine stalls.
  • When engine is warmed up and running, and choke is applied, it stalls straight away.
  • Visually I didn't notice any cracks in air box, rubber tubes. Unfortunately, did not have time to check air filter itself.
I think problem could be because of not enough air enters the carb, and when choke is applied there is even less air so engine stalls. However, I did not notice any problems during my way from airport. When engine is warm and choke is off, everything works as usual.

I know that cleaning the carb is first what needs to be done if something wrong in the fuel system. Unfortunately, I will not be able to do it until next weekend. Could the problem occur because of something else then carburetor? Choke adjustments? Do you even need to adjust the choke?

I would appreciate any help in diagnosing the problem and suggestions on how to fix it.

·
Super Moderator
14,679 Posts
Todays ethanol fuels do tend to drop out quickly, clogging tiny pilot jets and passageways.

There is no substitute for a physical carb clean....but before that you may want to get some fresh fuel in the tank.
and also this....

Seafoam is the normal, recommended carb cleaner here , but try this stuff....I've had real good results, used it prior to (and for) winterization.

1 ounce in a tankful, ride it 50 miles and see if there is any improvement. No guarantees, but worth a shot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem solved!

The interesting bit is that I did not do any repairs or carb cleaning. I took fuel tank off, to have a look at the air and fuel filters, they were completely fine. Then I put everything back, choke began to work as usual. Don't really know what I did. 0_o

Probably my small GPZ wanted some attention during cold winter ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts