Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All service should be up to date on the bike. Had the valves done at the shop probably about a year and a half ago. It’s only been around 3k miles since then. It has a tick, kinda high pitched. I’ll include a video here, and the tick will start a little after the bike starts, not right away. Bike will start up right away, sometimes quite quickly actually, and no real performance issues either. Once ridden a little bit or more warmed up the tick will go away, but still I’m wondering what that noise is. If anyone has heard it before, let me know! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
To tell the truth, EX valve trains are so noisy that it is difficult to tell one noise from another. Sounds normal to me.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
yup sounds normal to me as well, a cold engine is always noisier than a warm engine for two reasons one all the oil is in the sump so the coating on the parts is minimal, soon after the engine starts the oil is pumped round the engine (ever noticed how the oil level in the window disappears once started) and secondly metal expands when warm/hot so any clearances within the engine are reduced.
the combination of the two makes it much quieter once run, also the more miles it has on it the noisier it will be, my gen 1 89k sounds horrible on first start up but after few mins most of the noise is gone.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Not to be too snarky, but if your EX engine runs very quietly, something is wrong. Too many valve train pieces and other bits banging into one another for it to be quiet. I recently brought my EX out of hibernation and the top end noise had me thinking of trouble - until it warmed up and I thrashed it like usual. They are much better when warm. If the valve gear is quiet, you probably have one or more valves with very little or no clearance. That leads to hard starting (compression is blowing past the valve seat), or even burnt exhaust valves.

To paraphrase from the Guzzi world "A tappy EX is a happy EX."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts